Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Looking at Panasonic GX1
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:49 pm 
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ18 and as it's very battered and not working very well I am looking to buy a new camera. I fancy the new Panasonic GX1 but would like a lens that will delivery the same versatility as the FZ18. Please can you help me, or give me some alternatives. I take a lot of wildlife and outdoor scenes, as well as taking photos of family and friends. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 am 

If you're set on a Panasonic, this thread may be more appropriate in that sub-forum.

That said, I'm not aware of any single m4/3 lens that will get you coverage similar to the FZ18, so I hope you've allocated a sufficient budget for lenses:

The 14-140mm + 100-300mm will actually exceed the 35mm equiv. focal length of the FZ18. (Remember, m4/3 has a 2X crop factor, so combined, these lenses cover 28-600mm.) The catch is that you're looking at ~$1,200 for just the two lenses. i.e. not including the camera body.

If that exceeds your budget, you might consider the 45-200mm for ~$250. Obviously lacking in coverage, but substantially cheaper. And if you get the GX1 with a 14-42mm kit lens, you'd have the wide-angle coverage there. So you'd only be missing the super-telephoto 200-300mm range, which, granted, could be important for wildlife, but if that's what you can afford...

Or, since you mention (indoor?) family photos, you could get the GX1 body only, the 45-200mm, and add the 20mm "pancake" prime for ~$370 which would also give you a much more portable package with better low light performance than either the 14-42mm or the wide-end of the 14-140mm. Granted, you'd have to do some "zooming" with your feet to make up for the lost 14-20mm and 20-45mm zoom capability, though.

HTH - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board CappuccinoGirl! (coincidentally my favourite coffee)

As Mark says, the GX1, like all compact system cameras with big sensors, won't be able to match your FZ with a single lens. That's the tradeoff you'll need to make: big sensor with great quality, but shorter zooms, or big zoom, but with smaller sensor and poorer quality.

I'm currently wrapping-up my GX1 review and have very much enjoyed using it. Do also consider the others at the bottom of this page:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... DSLR.shtml