Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:51 am 

I have read that for video the max sensor size used is 2mp, so all cameras are compressing the output (except the ETC setting in GH2)

I've just been watching some really excellent high quality videos shot with the GH2 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMR68p6 ... ideo_title

First vid on this page http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/280/7371

and

http://youtu.be/ZEOnPDhJZ30

all viewed at 1080 - that's the kind of quality I'm looking for!!

BUT, if only 2mp sensor size is needed, does the FZ150 produce similar quality?

(excepting low light filming which I'm not too interested in)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:30 am 
Site Admin

It's a good question. Remember you can download sample videos from my latest reviews, so you can compare the quality for yourself (at least for the FZ150!)

As for the technical side of things, a Full HD frame measures around 2 Mpixels, so any camera with a higher resolution sensor needs to downsample this somehow to generate the video frame. This is where many of them vary in quality and is also why some suffer from moire.

You'd also like to think the downsampling process would combine pixels to increase the sensitivity, but this isn't always the case, and sadly the companies never explain how they're doing it.

Either way, a camera with a larger sensor, like the G series will always outperform one with a smaller sensor, like the FZ series, when it comes to low light and acheiving a shallow depth of field. But for bright light and a large dpeth of field, they could potentially be quite close...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:45 am 

Short answer: yes, I would think the FZ150 could produce similar results.

But note that the overcast skies in the first video start to border on low light, so the FZ150 may struggle a little. And I'd be willing to bet that trying to duplicate the indoor shot of the mother and baby toward the end of the video with an FZ150 would lead to unsatisfactory results. And finally, and with all due respect to the videographer, better results could have been achieved in Creative (manual) mode with some post processing and/or a graduated ND filter.

I don't see any issues that could pose a problem with replicating the second video on an FZ150, though.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:10 pm 

Thanks Maestro, it makes sense that the smaller sized sensor will not be so good in low light- I am happy to light an indoor scene if necessary. From my research I have found the PAl version FZ150 videos to be super sharp - I think it is probably because they are in sync with the 100hz power supply here in Australia?

I am trying to identify the model names that apply to PAL but aren't European, because the Euro ones are set to a max of 29 minutes continuous shooting, due to camcorder taxes.

My current camcorder is a small Sony Handycam, which records to tape- I bought it a few years ago when my last good video recorder died - the humidity here kills them, I have lost a few since my first one in 1990. Before that I shot cinefilm home movies.

The Sony handycam, which is model HC28E and PAL, coped very well with a low light situation at my recent Birthday party - the sensor is a 3mm CCD, gross pixels 800,000 and effective pixels 400,000 - how does that compare to the FZ150?
It records in AVI and I compressed it to an MPEGII container (.M2t & .m2t .sfk) using Sony Vegas, for youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odIa-tFZ2Y

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 am 

Quote:
I have found the PAl version FZ150 videos to be super sharp - I think it is probably because they are in sync with the 100hz power supply here in Australia?

I have no experience with PAL and 100Hz power, but that makes sense to me.

Quote:
Sony handycam, which is model HC28E and PAL, coped very well with a low light situation at my recent Birthday party - the sensor is a 3mm CCD, gross pixels 800,000 and effective pixels 400,000 - how does that compare to the FZ150?

Well, theoretically, the math says the FZ150's 1/2.3" sensor should have around a 2.5 stop advantage, which would more than make up for the lens' 1.5 f-stop disadvantage. But in practice, there's really no way to know for sure (other than buying and doing a side-by-side comparison, of course) since we're comparing different technology, different generations of each technology, and different resolutions. (i.e. 2007 CCD DV vs 2011 CMOS HD)

But my guess would be that the FZ150 would do at least as well, if not better.

That's only a guess, tho - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 am 

Thanks Mark, if it handles that lighting level and maybe with a sharper picture than the handycam, that will be fine.

I meant to have some lights for that action but it's hard to enjoy your birthday and organise everything. I was lucky that a mate with experience did the filming- he was extremely steady considering he had no idea what I was going to do next.

Correction: we have 50hz electricity.

I have spoken to someone at Panasonic Australia, to check our version of the FZ150 will be PAL. He said it will be GN-K, so all I need now is confirmation from Gordon that the model he tested was GN-K.

Further consideration between the GH2 is now leading me to the FZ150. As far as I can see the GH2 doesn't have power zoom and no image stabilisation, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I began looking for a camera that would do a good job of pics and vids because I am fed up with carrying both pic and vid cameras. I looked at the FZ100 but the picture quality was dubious, then the FZ150 arrived with a better sensor and progressive video instead of interlaced.

I do want a good video camera and the GH2 gets superb reviews, but the Fz150 videos are sharp and look very acceptable to me.

When the FZ150 has been out for a time I won't be surprised to read reviews of it's video capabilities being rated highly. Perhaps even close to the GH2 in good light - but of course the Gh2 will be better in low light and has the option of using all kinds of special lenses.

For me the automatic IA function plus the IOStabilisation are important, and it looks as if the FZ150 will do the job for me at the moment. I just wish the PAL version was the same price as the NTSC and not $300 more expensive!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:39 am 

Quote:
As far as I can see the GH2 doesn't have power zoom and no image stabilisation, please correct me if I'm wrong.

You're sort of mostly correct.

While the GH2 does not have image stabilization built into the camera body, there are some lenses that have image stabilization built in. (Look for either Mega or Power O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) in the lens description.)

And Panasonic has just started releasing lenses that have power zoom. (Specifically, the new 14-42mm and 45-175mm.)

Although I still think the FZ150 is a better fit for your needs.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:26 am 

Thanks Mark, that's good to know

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:39 am 

Don't forget the shallower DoF available on the GH2, that's something that you'll never be able to accomplish with a compact.

Gear: 7 Nikon Nikkor AI-S and AF-S lenses, SB-700 flash, Nikon D7000, Nikon FM, variety of accessories

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:37 am 

Yes, thanks for pointing that out - but I have seen FZ150 vids with the foreground in focus and background blurred and vice versa.

I expect it works best in good light, but it does have that possibility which is one of the things which is on my 'must have list', together with a mike input and full manual control while filming.

Here's an example- DOF at about 1:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LajUuui8G6Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:29 am 

Note that the "bokeh" (blurred background) in that video is a result of shooting with a long focal length (zooming in). That works well for a small subject (like the butterflies in the video) and/or a situation where you have (or can create) some distance between you and your subject. But for a large subject where you can't create significant distance (like the hot rod pics HikingMike posted recently in the street photography section), the FZ150 will have a more difficult time blurring the background than a GH2 with a large aperture lens (and an ND filter).

Mark

P.S. Also note that the indoor aquarium shots are underexposed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:49 am 

Quote:
the "bokeh" (blurred background) in that video is a result of shooting with a long focal length

Thanks Mark I didn't know that.

Re the aquarium- I thought that was reasonable for a camera with a small sensor - do you mean the FZ150 could have done better or that it should have looked better and would do with better equipment?ie large sensor camera

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:56 am 

Stingraynut wrote:
do you mean the FZ150 could have done better or that it should have looked better and would do with better equipment?ie large sensor camera

The latter. Sorry for not being clear. I agree with you that it's a reasonable result for a compact sensor. But it could've looked much better if it was shot with a GH2 and bright lens.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:31 am 

Re the aquarium -aha I thought that was what you meant, thanks.

A bit disappointing the 'bokeh' will not be as universally usable as I'd thought, but I think the FZ150 will suit my needs.

I saw a low light test today - http://hiblue.com/2011/10/23/panasonic-lumix-z150-handheld-low-light-test-vs-nokia-n8-canon-s2is/ it was against a 5 year old camera and a smart phone!! so not comparing current cameras, but as my experience is also 5-6 years old - my current camera is a 6 year old 4mp Olympus C770- it's interesting to see the improvements that have been made over time - the writer reckons there has been a 4 times improvement in technology in 5 years.

By the time the GH3 comes out in around 12 months time (current rumour) I'll have another chance to upgrade.

Rob