Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:24 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:44 am 

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I would like to start by thanking everyone, especially Gordon, for offering this wonderful resource. You really don't need to reply to every question and go out of your way to follow up, but you do. The format is also much more intuitive than www.dpreview.com, for example. I found this website about a year ago and the informative reviews were vital in my purchase of the TZ10, which I have been very pleased with.

Over the years, and especially the last year with the manual control my camera offers, my photography has really taken off. I live in China and new photo opportunities present themselves daily. After a year with the TZ10, however, its limitations become apparent and I am ready to upgrade.

I was considering a DSLR (Nikon D3100/D5100), but this is not really an option for me due to financial and portability issues (Baby on the way and I drive a motorcycle).

The TZ20 and FZ100 failed to excite, but then the FZ150 came out (and I started lurking on the forum) and that looks to be my ticket to better photos. The LX5 also interests me, though I'm waiting for a MOS sensor and 1080P video. Then there is the TZ30 just announced, but the FZ150 seems to have a better lens. How do these cameras compare in IQ?

The major issue with the TZ10 is poor low light performance, slow frame rate, basic/slow auto focus, and poor image stability. From what I have read about the FZ150, it seems to perform on all accounts.

I'd like to pose a question to photographers in the know:

I would like to begin writing a book about my travel experiences and this would be interspersed with photographs. Do I absolutely need a DSLR for this? Would an editor/agent reject my photographs based on what kind of camera I used? Something like the FZ150 or the new LX model coming out must surely be good enough for this purpose??

One last question: How is the overal "macro" performance of the FZ150? I take a lot of photos of animals, sometimes smaller ones like snakes. The bird photos I've seen have been impressive in detail.

Thank you so much for your contributions. This looks like a promising year. Here are some of my TZ10 photos from China (where the GPS function does NOT work):

http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... f=2&t=9639
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/vie ... f=2&t=9944

Enjoy!