Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I thought it would be interesting to discuss what features you'd like to see in a successor to the Lumix LX5... any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:01 am 

We seriously looked at it when we bought the S95, I thought it was a great package. Really nice wide angle, a useful range in lens. Its nice to hold and feels a bit like a real camera, but then we decided that its too big for a compact camera. Catch 22. Its come down in price, but it wasn`t cheap to begin with.

Also and it may just have been the model we had looked at or the setting, but we found the screen better to look at ( brighter) on the S95.

Its sounds like a minor thing, but its nice not to have a lens cap. The S95 is great in that regard, just turn it on or off and slip into the pocket or handbag etc. That alone and with its small size made the S95 the winner in our books. There is no excuse ever, not to have the S95 with you at all times. The front control ring is nice to use, its easy when in manual to turn the front one and then adjust the back one, its easy and intuitive.

On the Panasonic, admittedly I didn`t spend a lot of time with it ( I was in a shop) it was annoying to have to go into the menu system to change things. Other than that, not much to complain about, it could do with stereo video instead of mono. Better high iso performance, and that goes for all of them. Full HD , not that matters that much. I miss not having a viewfinder on the S95, so a viewfinder :P

I have a Panasonic LCD TV and a panasonic hd twin tuner, what could be handy is interconnectivity between the devices. Ie where the smart tv`s are heading. I have not played with any of this stuff, but I could imagine that taking photos of a family event and then show them on the tv and the burn them to disk on the dvd recorder. In this area there could be improvements made, especially in user-friendliness. Or resize, load them and send them via email. Suppose people just use their phones now?
I am a dinosaur I use my mobile phone for making phone calls and the odd sms :wink:

Basically I like the LX5, if it was smaller and a tad cheaper, had a viewfinder and done away with the lenscap thing and I would have bought it. Hopefully with practice the menu system would be easy to use as the two rings on the S95, otherwise its needs to improve that. The 24mm wide angle is a big plus, the successor needs to keep that. Fit a bigger sensor. :wink: :P

Canon Powershot S95, Canon 6D,7D, Canon 40 2.8 STM, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 15-85, Canon 85 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4, 50mm 1.8, Canon 100 2.8L Macro, Canon 70-300L +Kenko 1.4 Pro 300DGX, Canon 430EX II and RS 4 Classic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

I pretty much agree with everything you said there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:44 am 

I have to say that I would be interested in a camera that fits maxjj's description whatever maker's name was on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:13 am 
I would like to add that it needs the FZ150 (or similar) MOS sensor (NOT the FZ100 or TZ20), 1080P video and a slight increase in zoom (20-150mm :D ) without compromising the focal ratio. I'd be satisfied if they went either way on the zoom, though. I could live with 20-100mm or 24-150mm. 24-90mm is rather limiting, though.

This shot was 147mm, for example.

When will it be released anyways?