Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:27 pm 
I know this might be a very stupid question but I just bought the camera, took some photos and videos and obviously stored them to the memory card. I put my card into the laptop to transfer and all it has brought me up are the photos not the videos. What the hell has happened? they are still there on the camera (with card in) but not registering as transfering. Also photos I deleted are storing to the camera too... why? please help someone. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

You're not going mad - if you're filming Motion JPEG movies, they'll be stored with the photos, but if you're shooting AVCHD, then they're hidden away.

From my TZ20 review: Another difference worth noting between the two formats is their location on the card itself. Motion JPEG ‘MOV' files may be found alongside your still photos in the DCIM folder, but the AVCHD ‘MTS' files are buried away in various nested folders which start with one unhelpfully labelled PRIVATE on your card.

I also seem to recall they explain this in the back of the manual - good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:40 am 
ahh thank you, that makes sense and I have changed the format and am able to load them now. Is there a way for me to extract and save the videos that were already on the card or a way to convert them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

There's no need to convert them - just browse through the private folder and you'll find them in the stream folder... they have an MTS extension.