Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I just published my review of the FZ38 / FZ35 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... FZ35_FZ38/

It includes detailed comparisons against the SX20 IS.

An HD video tour will follow soon!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:06 pm 

Really great review, Gordon!
It comes in quite handy for me, since I am quite uncertain whether I should go for the SX20 or the FZ38 right now.
You might want to check the alternative text for the picture of the FZ38 on the intro page. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm 
Excellent review, as usual. But I think at this point the CHDK is a really important thing for a potential buyer to keep in mind. BOTH the sx10 and sx1 fcurrently feature this perfectly working magic, which enables RAW and other very important things. The CHDK DNGs have Adobe RGB 1998 color space, and noticably higher color gamut and dynamic range in addition to video quality control and a number of "bracketings". I don't know how good the RAW files of sx1 or fzxx are, but the chdk DNGs are really good - they produce almost perfectly exposed pics where the default JPGs look like black ghostly garbage. The sx20 will most likely be ported too. So, if you keep that in mind, I think the sx20 has a LOT more potential than what is "officially" being offered by canon. Since the SX10 now has working chdk available for many different versions, I think you could do a special test for those who might be willing to try that.
I think some illustrations might have the potential hobbyists thinking.
I was simply testing a new chdk build, so please don't judge the otherwise horrible "photographic" quality...

This is a default JPG in SRGB color space:

And this is the CHDK DNG in Adobe RGB 98 color space:

And this is just a bokeh with my f1.8 L2 lens on SX10IS... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Roy, I agree CHDK is useful, but it was no good for the SX10 that I tested as it didn't support its firmware - at the time anyway. So don't assume it's an available solution for everyone. I will be mentioning it in my SX20 review though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:01 am 
Yes, unfortunately the chdk for sx10 was only limited to 1 firmware at first, but currently it's available for nearly all the firmware versions including 1.00C, 1.01A, 1.01B, 1.02B, 1.03A. It is also available for the sx1is, sx100is, sx110is etc. Since it is a community driven project and not all the firmware dumps are available simultaneously, it usually takes a while for porting them all. But the good thing is that it usually gets done. So the sx20 does seem to be a good-enough candidate to follow up. If you mention that in the review, one might feel it worthwhile to choose differently... who knows may be even opt for the sx10 or sx1? But they should know about all their options - the decision they make is entirely upto them of course.
And I am still waiting for you unofficial chdk review if possible, particularly with a sx10is... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:34 am 
Excellent review! Can you tell me, when you're using aperture priority to keep the FZ35/38 apertures open, if you go from wide angle (f2.8 max), zoom to telephoto (f4.4) then back to wide, does the camera return the aperture to the largest opening (f2.8 ) or will it stay at the smaller (f4.4 in this example)?

Post subject: bset pirce in usa
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:58 pm 
hi all pls tell any one in good deal?i mean lowest price in us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi cmd, I just tried it, and yes, if you have f2.8 set in ap priority, then zoom in and back out again, the aperture remains at f2.8 at the end.

Hi shivani_rao143, the best prices from reputable dealers in the US are on my review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:14 am 
Once again excellent review Gordon.

I am not sure why almost every reviewer website writes that this is a 'minor' upgrade to the previous model.
I don't want to start a rant but what would be considered a 'normal' or 'huge' upgrade?

I've had the FZ38 now for almost 2.5 weeks and now I really start appreciating it and noticing the differences.
The speed and correctness of the focus is absolutely amazing. I've never had issues with the FZ28 but now with the FZ38 it is really point and shoot instantly.
The power ois is also .... wow ... where as we sometimes had wobble, especially in tele, is completely gone.

All the issues that I had with the FZ28 and video are absolutely gone now.
Standard PAL or NTSC features in different, same, models how it should be. No more mixups, dissapointments and beats the grey market.
Honestly I have no need to take a videocamera with me anymore. Plenty of usefull stuff that you can change for the best possible image.

There are thing that I absolutely don't like but can still be fixed with a firmware upgrade or some workaround.
- the only 3 images burst mode
- AVCHD which starts numbering from 000001.MTS every time you delete the ones on the card (known issue it seems)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:43 am 
hi gordon sir (dbuys.com $325) i buy fz35 this price in usa?thank u...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Hi shivani_rao143, check the vendors on the review - unless you're in the UK, the prices you will see are for the USA. In the UK, our server should swap the ads for British stores.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:21 pm 
trying to find the smallest possible PANASONIC or LUMIX leather case for the FZ35/38....ANYONE????????

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:29 pm 
Today I bought a Panasonic FZ35/FZ38 online (so I still haven't looked at it yet) but I was wondering about what lens options are there available for this camera. Would it need a special converter? Are there any good Macro lenses that you guys can recommend? Or is this camera absolutely amazing that there is no need for none of that? So please let me know your thoughts, perhaps I'm getting carried away and acting really excited and childish over this new toy :roll:, which is making me wonder what else can I add to it to fully max it's potential. Well thanks for reading and hopefully someone could give a good advice. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:32 pm 
And by the way, Absolutely Amazing And very Detailed Review, over the specifications and features of this camera, you basically made me buy this camera, so thank you very much indeed :!: :!: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi, you're welcome! If you want to support us though and keep the reviews coming, please shop through one of our partner stores here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Affil ... ping.shtml

PS - do you really need any lens adapters for it? The range is already massive! But I have details on the features page of my review of Panasonic accessories. I can't speak for other ones.