Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:49 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Movie mode light level
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:09 am 
Looking at the reviews and comparing the low light movie examples the Canon SX30 has a considerably brighter image compared with the FZ100. Why is this? Is this adjustable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:50 am 
Davmax - You can change the Exposure / Brightness level +/- 2EV in 1/3rd steps. You can do that before you start the Video Recording, or during recording. You can lock the Exposure by pressing the "^" button on the 4-way pad, unlock by pressing it again.

As with the SX10, the SX30 Manual doesn't explain it too clearly - but what it does have, is on Page 113 of the SX30 Manual.

You can also Manual Focus SX30 Video - see Page 89 in the Manual. It isn't very clear - but if it's like the SX10, there'll be a vertical bar indicator for MF on the right side of the EVF and the LCD - and you can switch between Exposure control and Focus while video-ing - probable easier when working on a tripod, but workable hand-held if you have niftier fingers than my aging ones...

Put the Manual up on-screen, and experiment a bit with those controls, to see how it actually does it.

I don't know the Panasonic modes - maybe a current owner can explain that one.

Dave.

Post subject: Movie mode light level
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:57 am 
Thanks for the info on the SX30. Great.

I see that I had the emphasis incorrect in my original post. My concern is the low level of exposure (dim image) in the FZ100 movie, the SX30 is brighter and preferred.

I ask these questions because there are features of the FZ100 that I prefer. A bit of a shock to see the dim movie. Perhaps the reviewer can answer this enquiry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:02 am 
Davmax - At a guess you're referring to the FZ100 having RAW (which the SX30 will get via a CHDK 'hack') - and the Fast Continuous shooting. The SX30 does that at 1.3fps - slower than my SX10's 1.4fps.

Usually when current Bridge Zooms are being compared, it's the Canon SX30, Panny FZ100, and the Nikon P100... Sony, Pentax and Olympus also do Bridge Zooms.

Well, I have the "other" one - the Fuji HS10. This is a good camera, particularly in low-light, high-ISO situations, for a P&S - so long as you don't expect it to work well in Auto and Program modes.

It does RAW, 12/7/5/3fps Continuous (5 and 3fps in RAW/RAW+JPEG) - twist-zoom, and good MF if you use it properly. The twist-zoom is very fast for stills shots.

While it does both Full and Std HD in H264/MOV, the twist-zoom video control isn't very good - and the focus and exposure are auto-only. For video, the HS10 is better on a tripod.

While it lacks a few other things, out of the whole bunch mentioned above, the SX30 seems by far the best for video - good zoom control, manual focus and exposure, and easy to use handheld.

There are excellent Reviews on this Forum of the FZ100, SX30, P100, and more.

Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

davmax, I just replied to your question in the FZ100 thread - please don't ask the same question in two different places.