Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EVF speed?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:58 pm 

The last time I bought a camera, it was an FZ30. It's getting on time to update.

While I liked the FZ30, for the most part, I never got any sports or nature action photos. If something was standing still, I had a good chance of capturing it. If it was moving, I was pretty much guaranteed to miss the play, or to get just the blurred tail feathers of a departing bird. Over and over until I gave up on anything but still-life and landscapes.

The reason, of course, was the delay between what was happening in front of the lens and what was displayed on the EVF or the main screen.

I looked at a few reviews recently, and didn't see any mention of EVF delay.

This tells me that EITHER
a) It's no longer a problem on non-DSLRs, so nobody mentions it
OR
b) It's such a perennial problem that everybody just assumes there'll be some kind of delay between what's out there and when you'll see it on EVF or screen.

So my question is: Do I go for an FZ40/45 or maybe FZ100... or do I need to hold out for a DSLR plus an expensive zoom, just so I can see view-finder action in real time?

(Yeah, it's probably a non-issue, but I don't buy cameras every year, so I haven't been keeping up. To me it was serious enough that real-time view-finder is just about the most important feature on a camera.)

Thanks.

Kevin in Ottawa, Canada... eh?

scream and shout!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:21 am 

Hi
I have the FZ38 and i struggled with the shutter lag between shots when snapping action stuff.
The EVF didn't seem really bad when looking live for me on that model but the black screen for a second or so after shutter release was very frustrating.
Saying that i did manage to get some good shots of some motocross events with it but gave up with burst shooting, its pretty useless IMHO.
I plunged for a S/H Nikon D90 in the end and i guess looking back that's what i should of done first time round.
The FZ38 is a great camera and takes great looking shots, i can't speak for any of the other FZ range. l'll keep mine as its very useful to chuck in the bag and its so light.
Anyway the viewfinder on any DLSR im sure will be a revelation for you compared to what experience you have had with your FZ30.
The only slight issue is the reduced view of the frame with the D90, its something like 95% of what you get. I've noticed it a few times but its not really a problem as you get used to it pretty quickly.
Looking back through the FZ38 EVF now is painful, its functional but its definitely a step backwards.
Buying lenses is the only other financial drawback, good fast glass doesn't come cheap and for good reason.
Just my very limited experience on the subject!!

:roll: