Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, as I discussed in detail on the verdict page, the Sony SLTs are cheaper, but the GH2 delivered a more sophisticated movie experience, nicer displays and was smaller too.

But as I said in the verdict, there's also lots of pros to the Sonys including built-in IS (and GPS on the A55), much faster continuous shooting, stacking modes etc. The SLTs certainly represent great value for money, but videophiles who demand better movie performance will prefer the GH2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 am 

Great review! But one rather esoteric consequence of increasing the sensor readout to speed up AF is that there's no longer a way to remove pulldown from the 50i stream to get 25p (or to remove it from the 60i stream to get 24p, but this isn't a huge deal since 24p can be set directly).

Just a heads up for anyone wanting 25p - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:15 pm 
Thanks Gordon for a very thorough review of the new GH2. In covering the video aspect you say "24 Cinema records progressive 1080 video at 24 fps, which will delight independent film makers."
Given that sunny Queenstown, like gloomy London, is in a PAL television region, I would have thought you would be less than delighted that there is no 25P setting on the camera, thus denying half of Panasonic's customers the joys of independent film making! Do you see any way of persuading Panasonic to rectify this omission, or will we have to wait for the Great Hacker who transformed the GH1 to work his magic?
I have found that the GH2 shoots very nice video at 1080i, albeit at a lower bit rate than it would at 24p, or the missing 25P, but I must say I feel quite cheated at not being able to get the very best video results from the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome on-board wardphoto.

I agree it is frustrating not to have a 25p option. But I guess Panasonic felt they had broadcast markets covered with 50i and 60i, leaving 24p for theatrical work worldwide. I will certainly put in a request for 25p and 30p, but I'm not sure if it's possible or if they'd be interested. I agree it would increase their possible owner base though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:51 pm 
Thanks for the welcome on board....very appropriate as I live on a houseboat!
I'll let the matter rest on the missing 25P shooting mode on the GH2 with the suggestion that Panasonic are being rather short sighted in supplying their PAL region customers with partially crippled cameras. As it happens I'm a committed customer, having shot with G1s for the last eighteen months, and now with the updated GH2, which suits my needs perfectly for reportage photography. So for me the video is a bonus, but I'm sure Panasonic will lose quite a few European and Asian customers, and all for the want of a small firmware update. And these potential customers might well be the talented film makers who would then migrate to Panasonic's AF 100 video camera, the very camera that they presumably are trying to protect by maiming the GH2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:00 am 
Great review. the GH2 seems like it is definitely the new poster-boy of what the micro 4/3 can accomplish.

Gordon, just wondering, are you planning to do a video review of this camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 am 
Site Admin

Hi Willis, no plans for a video review of it. I only have time to do a couple of video revews a year now, so for commercial reasons, they can only be for major best-sellers which also have lots of new technology in them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:30 pm 
Thanks for the excellent review. I've owned it for a few months, but I'm dying for spring to really motivate me to explore the camera. Dark dreary long cold winters really sap my energy.

Greg

Post subject: GH2 vs GH1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:03 pm 
Question about image quality Gordon. You mention the GH2 has the best image quality yet for M43, but in your reviews the gh1 gets a 18, GH2 gets a 16. Maybe im being nit picky, am I missing something? Or is image quality based on comparison to the same years cameras?

I guess my question is, based on image quality alone, is it worth it to upgrade from GH1 to GH2?

Thanks for your hard work - best camera review site out there..

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 am 

Quote:
based on image quality alone, is it worth it to upgrade from GH1 to GH2?

I'm not Gordon, but as someone who owns both a GH1 and GH2, I would say no for stills/photography unless you need the extra stop (low light).

Strong yes for video, tho - Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:14 am 
Good to know. I think ill wait for the GH3 to upgrade. Im pretty happy with the GH1, even for video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

bikerag, always check the 'compared to' or 'relative to' on the scores. If they're not from the same year or category, they can't be compared.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 pm 
My Bad Gordon, I noticed that later. Makes total sense! Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 pm 
I finally pulled the trigger on a GH2, couldnt resist the B&H deal for $699 with lens.. So far im liking it, I would say its a decent upgrade from the GH1, depending what your using it for. I do a mix of pics & vid, LOTS of HDR..

The Auto-bracket is SO much better since the latest firmware upgrade compared to the GH1. I do Virtual home tours with every indoor shot requiring HDR. GH2, 5 shots, or 7 shots, no waiting, super fast (with 95 mb/s card). Consecutive 7 shot HDR still bogs the camera when I do HDR panoramas, but still 4x faster than GH1!

Im not liking the wheel on the thumb, but hopefully ill get used to it.

SD card a little more clumsy, but no biggie.

Figured out that the tripod mount moved slightly, had to modify my custom pano setup a hair.

Much better autofocus, speed and accuracy. Less hunting. I was able to focus on a power line with my 100-300 lens, GH1 would hunt..

I think the Image quality is on par with the GH1, not noticeably different. The feel of the camera is a bit more... Plasticy :(

Highly recommended camera, hope it lasts as long as my GH1.