Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:24 am 

This has caused quite a stir on the two sites where the announcement has been detailed: Imaging Resource and DPReview.

As one might expect, they have gone for the numbers: 24x zoom, 14 MP.
The camera looks like a larger FZ35/38 and has a dedicated hot shoe and an articulated LCD with high resolution. Camera is about the size of an SX20IS, and weighs 19 oz with the battery and card.

The lens may be threaded for 52 mm filters; but no confirmation directly.

I downloaded a Panasonic sample image of two birds and edited it. It appears that the default settings are a little on the soft and low contrast side. Adding some sharpening and contrast helps a lot. No examples so far of higher ISO images. I'd really like to see ISO 400 & 800.

14 MP is a lot for a 1/2.33" sensor; but Panasonic claims all sorts of improvements. I remain a skeptic. :(

Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:11 pm 
Here's the first review of it ;
http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/4878/ ... first-look

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:09 pm 

It looks like a DSLR from Panasonic (like the GH1 etc)

EDIT: The FZ45 comes after the FZ35, which has 32X zoom with 25mm Wide Angle :shock:

EDIT 2: On another site I read they both have 24x zoom

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 am 
@Ruben
Maybe the FZ45 and the FZ100 are both the same camera? both have 24x zoom with 25 mm wide angle. Panasonic cameras always tend to have two names, the European name and the American name.
Just looked on the Panasonic website, I'm wrong; they both have their own product pages and look different! :?
Lumix FZ45 revealed
Lumix FZ100 revealed

Post subject: FZ100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:53 am 

An Eastern European site has posted a number of shots with the FZ100, taken at a variety of focal lengths and ISO settings. ISO 100 shots look pretty good; but ISO 400 is soft and shows a lot of artifacts. My original comments about sharpening and contrast still hold - they both need to be kicked up a bit. Also, there is some bleeding of colors at edges - sort of like we used to see with the FZ50 JPEGs at ISO 400 and higher.

It's looking more and morelike a mass market camera, and less and less like an enthusiast model. I'll reserve final judgement until I see some major reviews. In the meantime, my S5IS is looking pretty good.

Jerry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 am 
I am waiting for the FZ100 to come available. If I buy this camera with the hot shoe, what size flash attachment should I buy for the camera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:49 pm 
This camera doesn't look too promising.

Here's an example, FZ28 (top) vs FZ100 (bottom): http://www.imagehost.se/visa?id=80a0wymt

FZ100 is a 14MP camera, FZ28 a 10MP camera.
FZ100 picture is downsized to fit FZ28 picture.

Fuzzy details, poor contrast and very little sharpness in the FZ100 picture.

So what's wrong? Is it the lens, the 14.1MP MOS sensor or just bad noise reduction algorithm?

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:22 pm 
It looks like very heavy noise reduction

Post subject: FZ28 vs FZ100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
O.K. then what in the heck is the best new camera to buy (point and shoot). Is the FZ40 better than the FZ100?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am 
Hi papa6, FZ100 is probably not as bad as in the example I posted, in fact I've seen other shots taken with the FZ100 and they look noticeable better, but (in my opinion) they're still not good enough.

So ... I'd recommend the FZ38!

FZ38 is a safe buy, already proven itself good. Quite cheap nowdays (~$300-350), at least in my country.

With RAW, full manual control, custom settings etc FZ38 is pretty advanced for a P&S camera. 18x zoom is plenty, 12MP is more than plenty.

(I think I'll sell my FZ28 and buy the LX5, I've found that size matters.)

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:13 pm 
The FZ100 has been getting beat up over on dpreview.com based on some of the earlier photos and comparisons to the FZ35/38.

Well, a DP member just posted a large number of pic's taken with his recently received FZ100. You can have a look and form your own opinion at:

http://www.dpreview.com
Panasonic Talk
Post Title: FZ100 Samples II

I think I will retain the FZ100 in my "Wish List" at B&H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Hi guys, I've started an official FZ100 sticky thread, so ask that we can discuss it there from this point on - I'll lock this thread now.

PS - Ron, please be aware dpreview agressively blocks any mention of Camera Labs on their forum, so in the spirit of fairness I'd ask that we don't don't discuss them here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]