Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:52 pm 
I can get access to my Panasonic TZ10 via the computer (PC) without any problem. But when I try to delete images or movies, I get an error that the files are write protected.

The SDHC card is not in lock mode and I'm able to delete images on the camera itself, but having several hundreds of pictures, its not too fun to delete them one at a time or using the multi-delete function in camera (takes long time to select images). The images are not protected with the "Protect"-function, I even tried the procedure to delete all "Protected"-tags, but still error.

So, how to delete pictures from PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 am 
... hi, i had the same trouble with
fz38, finaly problem was due to
pc reader. try delete one from mem-in
of camera, if you can´t do it may rule out
card problem. meanwhile try delete them
with camera soft incluided in cd-rom,
i could do it so

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 am 
pablo:
I'm using the USB cable to connect to the camera, not any card reader. So that shouldn't be any problem.

The SD-card is not in lock mode so it is possible to delete images, at least on camera.

How do you delete with the Software (PHOTOfunSTUDIO 5.1 HD Edition) included on the CD? I tried to find a way but I couldn't do it.

I tried to go to the "SD card browsering" but that only seemed to allow me to import images, not to delete them. I will try a bit more from software though, but it doesn't look good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 am 
... ok, when i said pc-reader, i mean
soft-reader, no hardware of ports.
(sorry about my english, i hope
you understand). even using the
datawire, pc needs read info.

to delete with photofun studio, i remember
you must choose the one to erase and clic
in a litterbasket icon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm 
Hmm, but I cannot find any litterbasket icon.

http://bayimg.com/OamjIaACa

Could you only delete one image at a time from the program?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:10 pm 
... well i have 3. version.
i don´t instaled 4. ver. because loaded
all pic in computer. i see 5. is the same.
ok, in 4. you must choose the pics
(one or more) to delete then click ·file· (up) and ·delete·

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm 
Ooh hmm, well that doesn't work either =/ I have already tried it.

If you look at the image, the menu "File" is gray, so it cannot be accessed, only "Help" and "Manual" can be clicked =(

Only when images are on PC you can delete them, but then they are still on the camera.

Why did Panasonic do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 am 
Hey guys, I just bought this camera and found the same problem when connecting my TZ10 to my computer via the USB cable.
I have found a simple solution to delete images in the camera on the computer.
Dont connect camera to computer via USB cable,
Take out memory card from the TZ10
Insert it into your computer if it has an SD slot
If there is no SD slot you can buy an SD card reader very cheap
Now you can delete photos from computer !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:15 am 
Hi matt10cool!

That might work yes but when trying to find a solution for this in the manuals I came a cross a warning from Panasonic to actually delete or format the SD card without using the camera. The file structure or something can be corrupted or what ever it was. So they recommend using manual deleting in the camera or using the cameras format function.

Luckily I got a pretty big SD card (16 GB) but when taking a few 1000 pictures and filming abit in HD it becomes full and this issue is rather annoying since I have to either remove all (format) or manually remove up to 50 pictures at a time (by manually selecting which to remove as well)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:51 pm 
Hey :) I also have a 16 GB SD card!
I've not read about that warning, fortunately I've had no problems since deleting via SD card, I don't know how it could corrupt them, but it seems to be the only way of getting round the issue.
The fact that you cant delete photos that are on the camera with the photofun software without copying them all to your computer first seems very ridiculous to me.
Also, their advice to manually delete photos from the camera is also silly, as you say we have hundreds (maybe thousands) of photos on there and I must say browsing and deleting photos is very time consuming via manual camera method.
I am glad this method worked for me, the previous situation wasn't good, so I'm glad the photos themselves aren't write protected to stop them being deleted.
By the way, is the TZ10 your first camera? What do you think of it? (apart from annoying deleting issue)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 am 
Ooh oki, Class 10 SD Card aswell? If you have lower Class, how is HD video working out?

Yeah manually deleting a few thousands of picutres isnt really an option. I don't have a SD cardreader though so I cannot try deleting that way.

Well I had a Nikon E4100 before (came out in 2003 or so), which did a fairly good job closeup and with good lighting. But it had no zoom to talk about and pretty horrible video. And low-light performance was really bad, even when you didn't think it was low-light it started to take with flash, which didn't turn out very well anyway.

The TZ10 fixes most of the issues. Being a compact I guess its to be expected that the low-light performance is pretty bad. I guess its ok, at least its better than the old camera. Noise is very easily introduced when the lighting is pretty bad.

The zoom works very nicely and as long as there are good light conditions its possible to get good shots even at fully zoomed and with digital zoom (up to 98x or so). Also the stabilization works very nicely. And the HD videos are turning out very good, especially the sound is recorded extremely well.

The bad parts that are most noticiable are probably the battery life and the huge filesizes. Might not be the cameras fault for the filesizes though but well 1 GB for 10 min video is abit much if your going to store it and possibly also make multiple backups. Also I did expect 12 Megapixel pictures to be much crisper, but I don't have that much to compare with really. I changed to 5 Megapixels now though, its more than enough and still is 2,5 MB filesize (alot for backup), 12 MP is at 5 MB or so.

What about you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 pm 
Mine is a class 2 memory card, I don't understand the classes of memory cards and how it affects photos. Could you explain the difference? I assume the higher the class the better, I'm new to all this, the TZ10 is my first camera, despite using the Canon G10 this is the first camera I have ever actually owned!

I have very impressed with the quality of the HD video! Of course it can't compare to full HD but i really do enjoy using it. Would the quality of HD video increase if I had a higher class of memory card?

I would recommend you to buy a SD card reader, I am about to buy one (along with a gorillapod!) for my TZ10 because my desktop computer doesn't have an SD card slot.

I really think the stabilization is brilliant, especially with zoom you notice how good it is. By the way, there are also some tricks to get extra zoom... :D

I haven't noticed the huge file sizes with 12 MP, but that would please me because it means the photos aren't being compressed.

I will always prefer to use the 12 MP resolution setting as I am always zooming in on the photos to inspect the detail, and if i want to crop a 12 MP image then enlarge it, it will look better than a 5 or 3 MP picture cropped then enlarged ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:32 am 
Well it is often stated that Class 6 or higher is recommended for HD video. The class is basically an indication of the speed it can operate at. It does not affect quality or alike. But to get smooth recording+playback of HD video a higher class is recommended. With Class 2 you really should be noticing some kind of lag or delay. Perhaps you have trouble taking pictures quickly after each other, because it has to write to the SD card?

There is an option to how much you want to compress the JPG aswell.

Well if you usually crop your images then 12 MP is good I guess but I don't see how you can crop a set of 1000s of pictures one by one. I usually don't edit my pictures so I prefer a reasonable filesize over slightly increased detail. I don't see much difference on a 5 MP and 12 MP picture.

Have you noticed that when you face the camera towards something very bright, a saturation effect with a purple line appears? It's usually not recorded in normal images but if you take video it is recorded, which is pretty annoying.
If you haven't noticed it, try to face the camera into a light or the sun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:13 am 
I have noticed it taking quite a long time to writing to the SD card, especially with HD video, but it seems ok for me. Do you mean the bright purple line that comes across the photo when you point at something like the sun? Yeah, I noticed this, I was grateful that photos dont record this purple streak as they do in the preview. But, in video mode it's quite a bit of a problem.
Its not a fault of the camera, it's because it uses a CCD sensor instead of a CMOS sensor so the light refracts off it or something and causes the purple line. I think there is a way to solve it using different filters, it's on youtube I think :wink:
I have just bought a new camera too! I think I need to create a "new member" topic :)

Overall I'm very happy with the TZ10, it looks stunning! :D have you got the black version too?
The worst thing I can thing of about the package is the software it comes with - Photofun studio, the fact that it doesn't allow you to delete photos is ridiculous, I need to un-install it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:59 am 
Oki, then that's because the low class SD-card you have.

Yes, that line. Its rather annoying if you point the camera towards any bright area while shooting video. Well I don't think they should be able to blame the sensor... the camera is basically the sensor after all. So it really shouldn't be there at all. They should have fixed it somehow, I'm sure its possible.

You bought another camera already? =S

Yeah, I got black version. I guess it looks ok. But sometimes its rather annoying that if you touch the LCD screen it easily get spotted with fingerprints or "fat" from the fingers. Pretty much same with the lens, its rather difficult to clean.

Yeah the Panasonic software is a joke. But so is often the case with all kind of software accompaining some equipment. Ususally there are free versions that are much better, unless they messed it all up with some protected DLL or what ever that you have to know how it works in order to import/handle data.