Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ40
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:44 pm 
Have not had a quality camera since purchase of Minolta Maxxum 7000 in 85. Have an Olympus D510 Zoom. Spent months looking at reviews until narrowing to Panasonic FZ35 and Cannon 20IS. Gordon and Camera Labs made my final decision easy, FZ35. But now the FZ40 :? Have pre-ordered, but is Panasonic making a GREAT camera the FZ35 even better with the FZ40? Is the FZ100 something to consider for the LCD and 1280 X 720? Hope someone will do a review like the one on the TZ100.

Post subject: FZ100 Review
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:17 am 
I am with you. Someone please do a review on this FZ100 so we know if it is really worth the money or stick to buying a FZ35.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:44 am 
While not a "review" I did find a side-by-side "comparison" of Nikon CoolPix P100, Panasonic FZ100, FZ35 and FZ40. I said in my initial post I made my FZ35 decision based on Gordon's review and comparison of FZ35 and Canon IS20. Then Panasonic's announcement of release of the FZ40 in late August muddied the waters. Unfortunately, Gordon will not be able to review the FZ40 or FZ100 until he physically has one in his hands.

The comparison I read was totally based on camera specifications. The Panasonic FZ100 and FZ35 scored equally. While the FZ40 a somewhat distant 3rd. It did make some improvements with increased zoom, 3" LCD and in some other areas, it gave up some of the capabilities it offered in the FZ35 or has announced in the FZ100.

Do you make your decision based on Gordon's excellent review, the "comparison", FZ35 customer reviews or price ranging from $500 to $314? Disregarding price I am considering moving up to the FZ100 or back to my original choice of FZ35.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:52 pm 
While not a reply, but a post, I cancelled by pre-order of FZ40 :( Been wanting a new camera for many years and as said in previous post made the decision to order the FZ35 based on Gordon's reviews and comparison. Then the FZ40 was introduced with deliveries starting in late August. Without a review by Camera Labs being conducted I began questioning my pre-order :roll:

I am either going to order the FZ35 or pre-order the FZ100. While Camera Labs review of FZ100 will not happen until they have had an opportunity to use the camera as if it was their own. I made my decision based on specification comparison of FZ100, FZ40 and FZ35 by: http://snapsort.com

I will order a Panasonic and support Camera Labs! I just won't be ordering the FZ40.

Post subject: Panasonic FZ100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:48 pm 
I agree with you. I am going for the FZ100. Wish it would hurry up and come out officially, as it seems when you decide you want something, you want it yesterday. Thanks for your input.

Post subject: FZ35 FZ40 FZ100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:26 am 
Ron,
The comparisons at snapsort are skewed quite a bit by the popularity rating as the FZ40 and FZ100 are very low because the cameras have not been released yet.
For example the Coolpix has a popularity rating of 100 and the Fz40 has 20.
The FZ35 has a rating of 60 so if you discount popularity the FZ40 comes in ahead of the FZ35
Worth taking into account.
Zac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:15 am 
Thanks Zac for your post! An observation I had not considered. Will make me go back and look at snapsort's review based on camera specifications and remove popularity from all of the cameras and assign different values.

Had a look at snapsort's numbers and the entire list changes after removing "Popularity". The Nikon P100 was awarded 100 popularity points establishing a base number of 307. Remove P100's popularity and it's number is 207. Remove popularity from the HS10 and the base number would be 215 and the lists base number for scoring is now 215. Using that and the entire list changes. Interesting results. Some move up while others move down. Think I will keep the results to myself as they would only cause more questions and comments.

The trouble with living in Costa Rica you have to make many decisions based on reviews. That is why Gordon's reviews/comparisons made my initial decision to buy the FZ35 so easy. Then Panasonic muddied the waters and decision process :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've locked this thread as we now have an official FZ40 / FZ45 sticky thread! Please discuss this camera there, and yes, I hope to review it soon!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]