Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:41 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 pm 
In shots taken with my FZ38 at speeds of about ISO 200 and higher, I can often see prominent yellow spots or blobs which seem to be most noticeable around the edges of objects and on evenly-shaded surfaces like walls. Now it could be that my FZ38 is faulty, or perhaps a batch of dodgy FZ38s managed to make it onto the market. Has anyone else noticed these yellow spots in their shots? If this is a problem which affects all FZ38s then I'll need to think about switching over to something else, something I'd be reluctant to do as I love the FZ38 in all other respects :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:40 pm 

That's colour noise I think.
Could you post a photo, please?

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:38 pm 
There are a couple of example shots at http://62.49.30.99:23334/ - the yellow spots are particularly visible around the tap and the blue bottle. Some noise is to be expected, especially at ISO 400, but I can't work out why it clumps together to form those yellow blobs...I've never seen this happen on a camera before :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 am 
Looking at it some more, I think the problem comes down to inadequate noise handling in the blue channel - understandable in a way, since the blue channel is typically affected most by noise. It's disappointing though...for comparison, my Samsung L110 only displays this problem at its highest speed of ISO 1600 and even then it's very slight. Nothing is ever simple, is it? :roll: