Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:30 pm 
Please can someone help with the settings I need to take pictures of fast moving fish.

Whenever I go the the sealife centre my pictures come out blured.

What shutter speed, ISO settings etc would be best?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Micheley1101, I've modified your subject, I hope it makes more sense.

If you are shooting in an aquarium, then it'll normally be very dark. This means you'll need to use high ISO settings so that the camera can select sufficiently quick shutter speeds to freeze the action. Unfortunately the higher the ISO number, the worse the picture quality, but unless you can increase the light in the aquarium, you have no choice. Using flashes is not a good idea.

So I would put your camera into Normal mode, which lets you choose the ISO. Make sure the flash is also switched off. Try 400 ISO first, then if it it's still blurred, try 800, and so on. Of course you may find it's still too dark even at the highest ISO setting, in which case, forget taking photos and just enjoy looking at the fish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:06 pm 
You might try getting down on one knee, and shooting up at an angel, instead of directly straight on. This should help, and it will still look very good, just don't shoot in such a way that you capture other objects that reveal you are under the object, ie shooting part the corner, top of the tank, ect or other things.