Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 am 

Hi folks,

From the product page:

LUMIX G Micro System Digital Camera G2 - Touch-screen Operation with Free-angle LCD & Creative Functions for Both Photos & Movies

• LUMIX G Micro System - Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
    • Touch-screen Operation with Free-angle LCD and Contrast AF System
    • Dual Full-time Live View for LCD and LVF
    • 12.1-megapixel Live MOS Sensor and Intelligent Resolution Technology
    • My Color Mode, Peripheral Defocus Mode and Motion Picture P Mode
    • HD Movie in AVCHD Lite and HDMI Compatibility Featuring VIERA Link
    • LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S.
    The DMC-G2 features a touch-screen operation with 3.0-inch free-angle LCD featuring Full-time Live View and high-speed Contrast AF System. While shooting, auto focus can be set at the desired part of the frame by simply touching the subject to activate the AF in both photo and movie recording. In manual operation, aperture and shutter speed can be set to the desired value by moving the slider. While playing back, you can quickly select an image to view by scrolling images. The DMC-G2 has a 1,440,000-dot equivalent LVF (Live View Finder), too.

The 4/3-type 12.1-megapixel Live MOS sensor is advantageous for photo and movie recording with its high S/N, thanks to a circuit structure that is unaffected by the noise generated in each of the circuits. The Intelligent Resolution Technology, incorporated in the Venus Engine HD II, determines the subject's contours and color edges, and emphasizes them during image processing. This lets you capture stunning images with details. The Dust Reduction System helps maintain image quality by placing a Supersonic Wave Filter in front of the sensor.

My Color Mode makes it easy to customize color effects to match your favor for both photos and movies. In still image recording, the Peripheral Defocus Mode automatically adjusts the focus to match the AF area you positioned while gently defocusing the foreground and background to emphasize the subject. In movie recording, the Motion Picture P Mode makes adjustment the aperture easily. The iA Mode, featuring Face Recognition function, serves as a combination of functions that makes it easy for anyone to get beautiful photos and movies.

The DMC-G2 can record HD movie of 720P in AVCHD Lite with high sound quality of Dolby Digital Creator. Just press the Motion Picture Button, and shooting begins. The iA Mode can also be activated in movie recording. Still image recording is available during movie recording and can cut out a still image after shooting thanks to the Intelligent Resolution technology. When the DMC-G2 is connected to a Panasonic VIERA via an optional mini HDMI cable, the TV's remote control unit can be used to enjoy playing back with greater convenience.

Suitable for a wide range of scenes from portrait to landscape photography, the LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 ASPH./MEGA O.I.S. offers a zoom range of 28-84mm (35mm equivalent) while featuring its compact size and light weight. It incorporates Panasonic's MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), which makes it easy to shoot clear shots even in low-lit situations without hand-shake blur. When the lens is mounted on the DMC-G2, you can use the contrast AF system, which is implemented in the DMC-G2 to offer a variety of convenient functions.
Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:20 pm 
I knew it was worth waiting.....

I've always liked the G1 but wanted video for the occasional movie.
The GF1 is great, but lacked the VF I wanted....

And now here it is, the G2 with Movie.
But I notice they have brought out the G10 which is pretty much the G2 without move.
Why not just keep the G1 going? (Haven't compared G1 and G10 yet)

Still, reckon its the G2 for me!! Whoop whoop!

Any ideas of release dates yet?? Hopefully before end of May...please!!

Edit - Just compared the G10 and G1.
Looks like its a slight cut down version in areas..
EVF is now only 202,000 as opposed to 1.4m
Fixed 3" screen
Looks like they have given a few little extras like scene moded and the like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 pm 
gadget_sa wrote:
Any ideas of release dates yet?? Hopefully before end of May...please!!

"Both cameras will be available in June"

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:36 pm 
Nooooooo

I'm going away on the 1st June and wanted my new camera for the holiday!! :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:30 am 
First post on cameralabs! I've enjoyed this site, and decided to join finally.

Looks like both G2 and G10 have video (the G2 with AVCHD lite). I like the ergonomic changes to the G2, especially the touch screen. It would seem handy for use with manual focus lenses and say macro photography.

The dials are also better placed and with more functions. The G1 front dial isn't my favorite thing in the whole world.

Anyone know if the sensor has been improved? They have ISO 6400 listed, so it could be a new/updated design.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:19 pm 
SLOtographer wrote:

Anyone know if the sensor has been improved? They have ISO 6400 listed, so it could be a new/updated design.

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the forum... not long joined myself.
You're right, it's a great site, a great forum and some really helpful people on here.

The link in the first post takes you to the product page, but This Page tells you a bit more about it in detail.
Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:47 pm 
gadget_sa wrote:
SLOtographer wrote:

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the forum... not long joined myself.
You're right, it's a great site, a great forum and some really helpful people on here.

The link in the first post takes you to the product page, but This Page tells you a bit more about it in detail.
Hope it helps.

Thanks for the link! The G2 is a nice upgrade, and I hope it's priced competitively. Like you I saw June, and said "nooooo!" But then it's probably better for my marriage. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:52 pm 
SLOtographer wrote:
Thanks for the link! The G2 is a nice upgrade, and I hope it's priced competitively. Like you I saw June, and said "nooooo!" But then it's probably better for my marriage. Cheers!

Your not kidding - I have been so close these last couple of weeks to getting the G1, but then I start thnking shall I get the GF1 because of movie and buy the EVF as an addition...

I like the GF1 because of its size which is a big issue for me... but I just somehw prefer the form of the G1.

Now this is out I'm pretty sure I'll get it... but I have nothing for my holidays!!
Maybe I'll get something off QVC to "try" for 30 days.... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:58 am 
gadget_sa wrote:
SLOtographer wrote:

Your not kidding - I have been so close these last couple of weeks to getting the G1, but then I start thnking shall I get the GF1 because of movie and buy the EVF as an addition...

I like the GF1 because of its size which is a big issue for me... but I just somehw prefer the form of the G1.

Now this is out I'm pretty sure I'll get it... but I have nothing for my holidays!!
Maybe I'll get something off QVC to "try" for 30 days.... :lol:

Nothing for the holidays!???? How can that be??? Get the GF1 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:27 am 

Hi SLOtographer,

Please do NOT use the Quote button to reply to immediately preceding posts unless only part of that post is quoted. That's what the Image button is for. For why, and a bit more guidance, check out our forum rules. Thaqnks.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:09 am 
SLOtographer wrote:

Nothing for the holidays!???? How can that be??? Get the GF1 :)

You reckon?
And miss out on the extras the G2 has??

Post subject: Bob, gadget_sa
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:12 pm 
@Bob - will do!
@ gadget_sa -- g2 features win, but then what will you do on Holiday?

With 8 bodies and more lenses on the way, I would say that Panny and Oly are doing a fine job of starting the new system. I hope that we'll see a high-end model within a year as well as some faster glass.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:16 am 
I dont think that camera with CMOS will be one good idea. They are calling "Live MOS sensor", only changing name. I had one camcorder Samsung with CMOS sensor and I can remember perfectly in my videos the famous "Rolling shutter" (terrible, horrible !!!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

I dont think that camera will be good choice.
Give me away from CMOS, Live MOS sensor, and others.

Live long and prosper to CCD (charge-coupled device) !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:52 am 

While it's true that CMOS sensors are subject to "jello" when shooting video (this can even be an issue on the Red in extreme circumstances):

1) the Live MOS sensor isn't new to the G2. The both the G1 and GH1 also have Live MOS (CMOS) sensors, but rolling shutter was only an issue on the GH1 because the G1 didn't shoot video.

2) There's a rumor (which seems far fetched to me) that Pany is working on a global electronic shutter (which will eliminate skew) for the GH2.

Going backwards (to CCD) is not going to happen - Mark

P.S. re: "I hope that we'll see a high-end model within a year as well as some faster glass." - Depends on what you consider high-end; the GH2 should be out in that time frame. And faster glass is already here, assuming you're willing to pay $750 for a lens without AF and electronic aperture control (I'm not, but...):

http://noktor.com/products.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 am 
Maestro wrote:
Going backwards (to CCD) is not going to happen

My 2 cents:
I'm not so sure - Kodak since 2008 have done a complete 180 degree, and
nothing became of their CMOS strategy - Now they seem fully focused on
CCD again. Even the new Pentax 645D (Medium-Format DSLR) is reported to
be using one of these new generation Kodak CCD sensors, and not CMOS.

This debate is still far from over as CMOS still suffers from a number of issues
that are certainly not going be resolved in 2010. This is probably the reason
that Panasonic prefers to use the marketing term MOS, as they don't want
to be seen in the same "CMOS" camp that is being pushed mostly by Sony!!

Regards