Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, we've just posted our full review and video tour of Panasonic's second-ever DSLR, the Lumix L10 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... x_DMC-L10/

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:38 am 
A very informative review, as usual. :-)

I can only hope that more and more cameras come out with all these bells and whistles, so that the market forces "traditional" DSLRs, such as the Nikon D80 and D200, to drop in price.

So hooray for Panasonic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:59 am 
Site Admin

Cheers Luis! It's certainly a really nice camera to use... I found myself using the flip out screen a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:02 am 
Great video review of the L10. I pretty much knew what to expect in the review, and I think you nailed it – especially your comment about price.

This camera really tries to fill that gap left by the Olympus E510. The flip-n-swivel screen and contrast based focus are significant improvements. Hopefully, the in-lens anti-shake is an improvement as well.

I’ve learned that the best way to be happy with your camera is to have a good lens and kit lenses often fall short. If the Leica lens is high quality, it will justify some of that extra cost.

Perhaps Panasonic will follow Olympus’ lead and lower their price in five months, after those early (who-evers) get their first-offs. I hope so, the L10 kit would be worth considering at around $800.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:21 am 
thnx for the nice review and awsome video tour ..
and yes as u said i think the main problam is the price ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:55 pm 
Once again a great review Gordon. :D

A very interesting camera but the 40D may well be more compelling to some buyers - L10 is definitely a bit too pricey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:13 pm 
yea thats right .. but the d40 + lens as good as the one with the L10 will cost much much more .
anyway the quality of the L10 is very good compared to the D40
look at this ( choose the cameras first )
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mohammed, don't forget that site blocks links to Cameralabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:20 am 
Sorry for that if u want to delete this link ok .. as u like .. but why they block u ?? i think Dpreview also ?? but why ?? u r not spam atall ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:57 am 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:54 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post
Gordon,

Excellent reviews of the L1 and L10.

I was a bit frustrated that you made no comparisons of either the L1 to L10 cameras or the "new" vs. "old" Leica 14-5mm lenses. Can you comment at all on results?

I just purchased an L1 (mint/used/$650USD) with the idea that I could always upgrade the body, thinking L10 or possibly E-3, but it isn't clear from the review that the L10 offers any real advantage over the L1 in some key areas; High ISO noise and smallish viewfinder.

By the way, Amazon is now listing the L1 w/ Lens for $800, free shipping. A pretty amazing deal, especially considering the bodies w/o lens are selling for $400+ on ebay. Don't know if the prices across the pond are similar, but it does seem to be a great bargain over here (Colorado USA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Admin

Hi pfbz, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I didn't compare the L1 and L10 directly against each other as I didn't have an L1 to hand - but even then I wouldn't have as the L10 is not the 'successor' to the L1 - it's a completely different kind of camera, aimed at a different photographer.

A comparison between the lenses though would be useful and I did take a full set of results for the new Leica lens for a possible future article.

You're right, $800 ain't bad for the L1 kit... even just to get the lens!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am 
Gordon,

I couldn't get the video to play, so I'll just ask you a quick question. What were your impressions of the film simulation mode on the new Panasonic SLR? I love Panasonic cameras--they seem to take an independent approach to making cameras. I've owned a FZ30, TZ3, and currently am playing with a FZ8. If they ever paired a top-notch CCD with that sweet Leica glass, they would have a magnificent camera.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi bushwhacker09 - the film modes just apply various colour, contrast and sharpening settings... nothing revolutionary!

See the bottom of this page:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... lens.shtml

Gordon

PS - is this a recent problem with playing the video? Have you been able to play them (and other Youtube videos) before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 am 
Most of the time I've viewed the videos from my home; this time I was attempting to view it from work. I imagine the firewall blocked it--I doubt it is anything wrong on your end.

Thanks.