Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:39 pm 

Hello everyone, I'm new here of course. :) So far I have been reading and watching the reviews on Youtube, and here. Still a little puzzled.

I want a camera with manaul control over video. Which the FZ35 has, ok.
The canon SX20 has AA batterys, which I like, mainly because I have a very good charger for them, and I use a lot of Recharable AA/AAA, and trust them.

The panasonic FX35 requires a battery pack, and I'm not sure how many years they will continue to make batterys for this camera, And I'm not sure of the quality of the pack. And I'd like to use after market packs???

I'm no to concerned about the 2X extra Opt/zoom, the canon has over the FZ35.

To me the only other grip I have is the memory card is in the battery department. :( on the FZ35.

Does the FZ35 have enough video features, to make it worth the purchase?
The manual video mode means a lot to me, and I'm just wandering what do yall think about this area of the FZ35. If the manual video stuff over comes the disabilitys of it requireing a lion pack, and the placement of the memory card, I'll take the FZ35.

The Panasonic Lumix FZ35 looks better to me, and it seems to have a few more features in video mode Is a Big Plus for me. Plus it's a cheaper camera, and has more avaible options than the canon.

Will I be happy with the Battery Pack? They seem cheap to get extras.
Will the Manual video mode, be worth it?

I like to video deer behind my house, and I metal detect for a hobby, and need a good camera for both, something that shoots good video, and exelet photos.

O' I like to video the moon to. I saw some guys photos/video of that to.

Thanks for your time, and help.
Regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Site Admin

Hi ncdigger1, welcome on-board.

The FZ35 / FZ38 is a best-seller for Panasonic, so you'll have no problems finding spare batteries for it in the future, although beware the company does attempt to prevent third party units from working. Lion batteries also last for ages before they need replacing. Buy yourself two or three now and you should be fine for years.

But some people prefer AAs, in which case, I'd recommend they go for the Canon.

As for the usefulness of manual control in movie mode, here's a quote from my review:

"Manual control over exposures for video is a key advantage the FZ38 / FZ35 has over the Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, but it comes with the same caveats as shooting stills.

Cameras with small sensors and short actual focal lengths have an inherently large depth-of-field, making it hard to throw the background out of focus even with the smallest f-number.

This equally applies for video, so even though the FZ38 / FZ35 will let you adjust the f-number, don’t expect miracles. As with stills, you’ll need to either really zoom the lens in, or get very close to your subject to achieve any blurring effect. That said, we’re still pleased Panasonic included the facility here, as if nothing else, it lets you grossly under or over-expose if desired."

PS - don't forget to shop through one of our partner stores when you come to buy! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm 

Gordon,

Does the manual control of the video in the FZ35, actually help make the video any better?

That is the real question, I have no desire to blur the background. Only improveing the quality of the Video, whether I'm close in or zoomed way out.

And video aside, which camera has the most features for Shooting Photo's?

Thanks Gordon

Post subject: Batteries
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:50 pm 

ncdigger1, Hi.
I used AA batteries on a number of cameras before I first experienced Lithium Iron batteries on a Sony camera back in 2007.
What a difference, and I have vowed never to return to the AA format again.
In December I purchased a FZ38/35 and with it a spare battery. They really have a fantastic life and really no comparison to the AA format in terms of their ability to hold charge as well as the number of photos I can get on a single charge. Battery technology has advanced, and I still can’t understand why companies like Canon are still using AA. Just take a look at all the DSLR cameras on the market today, basically all using Lithium Iron and not AA. In my opinion customers at the top end of the camera market these days simply won’t use the older technology!!!!
Regards

Post subject: Re: Batteries
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:01 pm 

dbnnet wrote:
ncdigger1, Hi.
I used AA batteries on a number of cameras before I first experienced Lithium Iron batteries on a Sony camera back in 2007.
What a difference, and I have vowed never to return to the AA format again.
In December I purchased a FZ38/35 and with it a spare battery. They really have a fantastic life and really no comparison to the AA format in terms of their ability to hold charge as well as the number of photos I can get on a single charge. Battery technology has advanced, and I still can’t understand why companies like Canon are still using AA. Just take a look at all the DSLR cameras on the market today, basically all using Lithium Iron and not AA. In my opinion customers at the top end of the camera market these days simply won’t use the older technology!!!!
Regards

I appreciate your reply, if I could get some understanding of the manual control of the lumix, in regards to does it help improve the video quality if adjusted right, and what all it can do. That would be my desideing factor.

I did find a Full PDF copy of the manual, not the one pageer that's on the panasonic site. But I cant make head or tails of the video features, in manual mode, and what then can really do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:04 pm 

Hello ncdigger1 ! How are you ?

Well, I have FZ-35 now and its impressive camera. Fantastic !!
You will take great picture and can make videos at 720p (60 fps, yes pretty smooth video and no record time limit like canon or sony). Hybrids camera are future. Panasonic is good brand and not expensive. The battery ion lithium offer very good performance, and price for extra one is not $$$$$, easy to find.
If you want set manual options, this camera is perfect for semi-profissional.
Go ahead and buy it ! Its best option !

Cheers,

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 pm 

cameks wrote:
Hello ncdigger1 ! How are you ?

Well, I have FZ-35 now and its impressive camera. Fantastic !!
You will take great picture and can make videos at 720p (60 fps, yes pretty smooth video and no record time limit like canon or sony). Hybrids camera are future. Panasonic is good brand and not expensive. The battery ion lithium offer very good performance, and price for extra one is not $$$$$, easy to find.
If you want set manual options, this camera is perfect for semi-profissional.
Go ahead and buy it ! Its best option !

Cheers,

Carlos

I'm doing pretty good. We just had a Big white pine fall at the end of our trailer. Missed the trailer buy about 5' Feet. Gulp... :shock:

Yeah I'm loveing the idea of this camera. It will probably be two weeks before I can get it thou. And it does have some features the canon does not, like the abilty to use more formats for saveing video, and it will shot till it runs out of memory.

Maybe in the future it will have some more firmware upgrades to allow even more control possibly???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Shooting video in Manual won't give you better quality - it just lets you vary the exposure and the amount in focus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:28 pm 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Shooting video in Manual won't give you better quality - it just lets you vary the exposure and the amount in focus.

Quote:
it just lets you vary the exposure and the amount in focus

I supose thats all a body can ask for. That would at least allow me to manually adjust the focus, which the camera probably does a pretty good job at. But the option is avaible if needed. And if I need'ed to adjust the focus of a close up video? That the camera may not be able to do because of say lighting??

Now the manual exposure setting would allow me to adjust the lighting of the video being recorded is that correct?

Thanks again Gordon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, it would let you grossly under or over expose if desired for darker or brighter results. I didn't try manual focusing for movies, so don't know how well it works or if it's available. You may want to download a PDF of the manual so you can take a close look at all the features and how they work.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMAN ... 35-ADV.PDF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Yep, it would let you grossly under or over expose if desired for darker or brighter results. I didn't try manual focusing for movies, so don't know how well it works or if it's available. You may want to download a PDF of the manual so you can take a close look at all the features and how they work.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMAN ... 35-ADV.PDF

Thanks again Gordon. I got the manaul, and have looked at a lot of its features. It's just so much content to look thru. I'm a more hands on person, I get very little from reading. Usely I can get a hold of something new, and figure it out before I ever open the manual.

I have watched both video's that you made on the Canon sx20,m and lumix fz35, about 20 times for real. I was amazied at how good you were at explaining how these two cameras compared to one another. How in the world you could remember all that info baffles me, you must have a super computer for a brain, (commit) :) Well done. And I just thank you for all the help, and a stuff you have provided here, and the videos. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
Site Admin

You're welcome! Don't forget to support us by shopping (for anything) through the partner stores page!