Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:41 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: great help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:11 pm 
Hi Gordon and company, super site and so informative.

I have an FZ28 at the moment that I purchased a couple of years ago and find it superb. The only drawback is that its a little bulky and on a recent trip to New York I got fed up lugging it in and out of my backpack.

Since then I have ordered a Tz10 via ebay (saving well in excess of €150 compared to Irish prices). I love the pocket size approach it offers and it arrives very soon. From making comparisons to my tz10 v Fz28 would I be right in saying that (within reason) they are almost identical in what they can do, the TZ10 being the pocket version?

Excellent site again lads, keep it up and look forward to reply.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 am 

Hi Gordon,

Based on your review of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 I bought one last Thursday as a replacement for an old Pentax Optio33LF.

Do you think the TZ10 would benefit from a screen protector such as the Delkin Devices Universal Current Pop-Up Shade? The link to an example is here:
http://delkin.com/i-5829814-universal-c ... 0-lcd.html

Sorry about the price being included. I would buy it locally and not from the site above.

Cameras: Canon EOS 450D with Battery Grip | Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10
Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Henry, I never felt the need for one when testing it - it's personal preference. Our sun is pretty stark in QT, but it may be more of a problem where you are...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 pm 

Gordon, the screen on the Pentax above is useless outside and the screen on my mobile (cell) phone is very hard to see as well. The screen on the TZ10 is better but not real clear for focusing on details.

I attempted to take a macro shot of a tiny flower (3mm diameter) but I noticed the battery indicator flashing. Next thing I know, the camera shut down. :( Have charged the battery and will have another go tomorrow using my left hand to shield the screen from the sun.

I bought this camera as a go EVERYWHERE camera. While standing at one intersection, I zoomed in on a pub a block away and took a picture. I am very happy with the zoom range. I haven't tried video yet.

Cameras: Canon EOS 450D with Battery Grip | Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10
Lenses: EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
Flash: Canon Speedlite 580EX II

The only stupid question is the question that is not asked.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:59 am 
Hi Gordon, first of all thanks for the good work you are doing on your website.

I would like to tell from my own experience with this traveller camera the Lumix TZ10:

Based on your test of this camera I bought mine and enjoyed taking photos with it until one sunny day earlier this month when it suddenly died. This happened all of a sudden on a cloudless and sunny day (temperature ca. 25°C) right on a famous historic site in the middle of Germany. After changing batteries the camera would not switch on again. Tried this again with another fully charged battery, no joy either. Later and back in the hotel room I verified all of my batteries were charged, still no joy, the camera was still dead.

I have to stress again the weather conditions were perfect on this day, bright afternoon sunlight, no clouds, no rain, no mist or anything like that. Why do I mention this again? See further down. The camera was hanging from my neck on its lace and therefore was never dropped or anything in that way. Nor was there any form of sand as on a beach or in a desert or any form of water like the sea, a lake, a puddle of water or anything within reach. Or might it has been the sweat on my fingertip which has caused the camera to commit seppuku, sorry suicide? I took about 150 exposures on that day, can the camera not cope with this number of releases on half a day?

Anyway, sent it back to a Panasonic approved repair center here in Germany to have it checked and received from them a quote of ca. 220 € for getting the camera fixed again. Diagnosis: main board defect caused by humidity and not covered by warranty!

Searching the internet for similar cases I had to learn this seems to be quite a problem with this camera as there were more people experiencing similar issues. In any of these cases Panasonic states the customer misused the camera "in bad surrounding conditions". So I wonder if it would be advisible to use this traveller camera only with the additional Panasonic Marine Case mounted (ca. 229 €retail price) when taking photos under the conditions described above ...

I had one of my Canon Digital Ixus cameras with me as a backup and took photos with it parallel in order to compare the results. This tiny little thing managed to survive the "rough surrounding conditions" of a typical mid-european sunny summer weekend trip flawlessly.

I wrote to the local Panasonic Care Center informing them above the issue as well and I am now waiting for their replay (if ever there will be one),

Would love to hear comments from other readers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13