Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:33 pm 
Hey Gordon:
I received the Panasonic ZS3 (actually thinking it was the ZS7, I saw the TZ7 for this in the model name, and was confused.

But, what I learned when I received it, was the incredible zoom noise which occurs when your recording video, in a quite room.

The final recording has incredible noises generated by the internal motor for the zoom.

Very disturbing, especially if your recording in a quite setting, perhaps in a hospital room, during a ceremony, or just in a quite office or space.

Any zooming caused the zooming "click, click, click, ... hummmmm stop.", zoom out "click, click, click .... hummmm stop."

All of these noises are permanently recorded onto the final recording and as one user put it, unless your going to record over the track, your stuck with it.

I'm hoping the new ZS7 will fix this problem, and that you review this specifically when you do. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 am 
Site Admin

I'll look out for it Mike, although I suspect it will be the same as the lenses are the same. Note some of that noise may also be the IS and continuous AF systems. If you want silence when you zoom, you really need a camcorder.

Post subject: FZ38/35
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:23 am 
Mark, Hi.
You can't really go wrong with the FZ38/35. Its a great camera and once
you get to grips with it, you will be quite surprised at how well it performs.
Tip: To get the most out of it one should use it in "P" mode.

Good luck
Regards

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:44 pm 
Thanks for you clearification Gordon about the noise I was hearing.

I've already packed up the item for RMA back to the seller.

If I have time before UPS picks up the box, I'll reload the battery and carefully review the noise factor and keep a steady shot, while paning from one subject to the other, to isolate where the noise seems to be strongest.

Funny thing is my first Lumix TZ1, which I never noticed any noise factor, especially back in the editing room, didn't seem to give me any trouble. I still have it, and it pretty beat up.

Your differentiation between AF and actual zoom motor noise obvsiously comes from your experience reviewing cameras and able to disect these features right off the bat.

I do remember two distinct noises: 1) click, click, click - which could be the auto focus; and 2) zoom motor. I do specifically recal that zoom motor though. It was funny, because all of the noise was happening all at once, it was a big invitation to listen to it, and since it started getting my attention, I noticed the motor bog down at the end points of the zoom zone. Meaning, when you "unzoom" and reach the end of the unzoom range, the zoom motor like hits the end and wines a bit as you try to continue unzooming or vise versa.

In other words, the system may be using physical boundaries to determine the end points of the zoom range. Where as a sensor would be more sophisticated where the sensor detected the zoom point, and prevented any further motor action at that point. Where from what I experienced, the zoom allowed the user to hold down on the zoom lever, and come to a "grinding" hault. The funny part is if the battery is low, and mine was (right of the box) the grinding hault noise sounds really pathetic.

Regarding my TZ1 - yea, I recall noise when zooming - but it is probably because of the sand or grit and use factor I've put it through, and was probably appropriately heard during the zoom, and stopped. Funning thing, is that I don't recall it being as pronounced as on the TZ7/ZS3 (okay, I'm getting confused with these model numbers).

I will add, regarding the TZ1 and zooming, that I eagerly bought the TZ or TZ3, thinking they were going to be improvements over the TZ1. However, for some strange reaason, Panasonic eliminated the ability to zoom during record on those later models. So they lost my interests, and is probably why I've held onto my old TZ1.

Another thing, regarding zoom noise. I did notice the ZS3 had stereo microphone system, and that increased audio ability, could also enhance all audio, even that coming from the camera itself. I wonder if this is why we never really saw dramatic improvements in the audio recording department for these compact (pocket) style cameras. I'm wondering if the requirment to "insulate" the mechanisms inside, forbade such increased audio recording performance?

By the way, after I realized my model number confusion in purchasing the TZ10/ZS7, I took another careful look at the outlet's advertisement for the TZ10 and in fact they were not available - claiming a March arrival date.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:14 pm 
MikesMultiMedia wrote:
Hey Gordon:
I received the Panasonic ZS3 (actually thinking it was the ZS7, I saw the TZ7 for this in the model name, and was confused.

But, what I learned when I received it, was the incredible zoom noise which occurs when your recording video, in a quite room.

The final recording has incredible noises generated by the internal motor for the zoom.

I noticed this, too, when watching the videos for the first time on my PC. I am very disappointed at the DMC-TZ7. I am also sorry that I didn't test this at once, as I can no longer return the camera. (I didn't notice the noise when watching the videos on the camera.)

I'm wondering why none of the reviews I read covered the very distracting zoom noise.

My earlier camera, the Canon PowerShot S1 IS, had no zoom noise whatsoever.

How can it be so conspicuous on the TZ7? It is so bad that zooming really cannot be used during video recording.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Remember this is a thread about the TZ10 / ZS7, not the TZ7 / ZS3, so let's stay on-topic! I'll make a note about any zooming noise on the new model in my upcoming review. Personally speaking, I didn't find it too obtrusive on my TZ7 / ZS3 samples, but then there was a fair amount of ambient noise.

Remember this is a small camera, so it's hard to keep any motor mechanisms away from the mics - and also remember the Canon equivalent (the SX200 IS) doesn't let you zoom at all while filming a video, so it seems churlish to complain too much about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, ahead of my full review of the TZ10 / ZS3, I have two video samples for you, one in AVCHD Lite and one in Motion JPEG. Both handheld with stabilisation, but no zooming. There'll be zooming samples later.

Registered members of Vimeo can download them for evaluation on their own computers, which I recommend as the online presentation may be compressed and jerky. Thankfully Vimeo now accepts the MTS format recorded by Panasonic's AVCHD Lite mode, so you can now access the files in their original formats. I hope you find them useful!

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 / ZS7 Motion JPEG sample

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 / ZS7 AVCHD sample

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:27 pm 
I am not sure if this has been asked, and I'm relatively new to the world of cameras.

But, any idea on when we might see the reviews for the Panasonic ZS7? I'm looking to replace my old old TZ2 before I head on a trip to Turkey.

I was gonna to go with the ZS3, but, it seems very hard to find where I am currently, and the places that do offer are charging the same price for the ZS7...soo... ya know. :)

Anyways, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 pm 

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the sample videos on Vimeo. I use the service also for my own videos.

I had the ZS3 (US)for 2 month and returned it due to the new camera coming out soon and some issues i had with the camera.

As other mentioned before about the zoom noise and you said you will include it into the review of the ZS7 /TZ 10.

Also, I had quite a few problems with vertical white line when filming towards the sun or other bright objects, like cars reflecting the sun. This quite often shows a line vertical across the entire screen and resulting video.
Wonder if that is due to the ccd used or other factors?

That doesn't happen to the pictures though, even the lines show on the display but not on the final picture.

Can you test for it with the ZS 7 please?
If helpful i can try to grab a screen freeze to show the problem.

And best greetings to NZ, a beautiful country and people.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:42 am 
Site Admin

I have almost finished my TZ10 / ZS7 review. The zooming noise seemed similar to the TZ7 / ZS3, although I could barely hear it from either camera in my typical shooting locations due to ambient noise. Either way, the review will include samples including zooming, so you can decide for yourself.

Yes, there is still some vertical streaking on video - I believe this is blooming / overflow on the sensor, but again very rarely was a problem in my test footage. If you take a lot of photos around water on very sunny days though it could be an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 am 

Thanks for the update. Looks like the full fledged review is posted now. Will take a look on my Monday and read the details.

I uploaded a video with the blooming at night from the ZS 3 / TZ7 for all its worth compared to the HX5.
http://www.vimeo.com/10146102

Looking forward to also see if you going to have a chance to review the new Sony HX5V, another contender for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:53 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I've just finished my review:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ10 / ZS7 review!

Hope you find it useful!

PS - video tour in production, but more reviews to finish first...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:22 am 
Great review thanks Gordon, waiting on delivery of my TZ10 for my trip to Cape Town.

Anyone know first hand if compatible batteries will work on the TZ10. I would assume that these won't work as the firmware on the TZ7 rendered compatible batteries inoperative, so would imagine the same policy has been implemented with the TZ10. If anyone can confirm either way, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 am 
mamuco wrote:
Thanks for the update. Looks like the full fledged review is posted now. Will take a look on my Monday and read the details.

I uploaded a video with the blooming at night from the ZS 3 / TZ7 for all its worth compared to the HX5.
http://www.vimeo.com/10146102

Looking forward to also see if you going to have a chance to review the new Sony HX5V, another contender for me.

Thanks mamuco, the video/sound quality appears to be infinitely better on the TZ7

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:48 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
..I've just finished my review:

Thanks Gordon - Your reviews are always a "Must Read" and
have become THE benchmark in my opinion!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next