Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 pm 
The true solution is my next digital camera will be CMOS sensor.

Cheers,

Carlos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:09 am 
For me I can live with that light streaks. I get around it simply by avoiding pointing at bright sources like sun, headlights, etc. Any camera with CCD sensors would have that, not only Panasonics.
It's not good to point at bright sources anyway even with CMOS sensor based cameras. It will make huge bright spot in the frame, pretty much spoiling the image.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:12 am 
indeed all good answers and understandable point of views

the video and the thing is a suggestion for who HAS the tz10 and CANT live with the streaks (like some comments above)

like i said i won't go around everyday with all the kit, but in some terrible summer day and only for videos ill keep it there.

cheers :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:59 am 
New Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNdEyjRpx1g

Indoor Testing of a Lighter(fire) in low light with

* no filters (problem is there)
* nd8 alone (problem is there but much less)
* nd8 + circular polarizer (problem is mostly gone, better than nd8 alone)
* circular + nd8 (inverted order) can't say, should check the differences in the Circular Polarizing effectivity

NOTE: the darker kitchen it's not even an Issue, since the Issue is outdoor with massive light, what becomes black (wall) in the video, outside won't, while the bright spots should be cut down consistently (unless you point at a direct and powerful light, in that case amen)

note2: even a Wide Angle or Telephoto or Macro might be NOT needed (depending on the photographer tastes) but for some might be needed (one or more) just like this

my research and videos are a response to the author of the many comparisons (Vertical Streaks) sending the camera back to the shop

- FOR me it's NOT an issue too (like the 2 last repliers)
- for a fotographer only it's not an issue too
- but if there is something that can adjust for the better(video), it's welcome

It was stated that a Video if not good may be POST PROCESSED, BUT STREAK LIGHTS cannot be removed, well this might remove the streak lights and let you post process the video as you whish:)(Saturation, Lights, Contrast, Vibrance)

i think i have finished my work here :)

Happy Shooting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the video - it's very useful.

The filters do seem to work, but they'll also obviously greatly reduce the amount of light entering the camera, in turn requiring longer exposures, higher ISOs and also potentially more focus hunting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:40 am 

I have the ZS7 for 2 weeks now and I'm mostly pleased with it.
The chunky metal body feels god in hand and it looks like a camera, this being one of the points that made opt for it and not for it's competior, the Canon PowerShot SX210 IS, that felt more like a ladie's powder box.
There are a few things that I'm not quite happy about:

No optical wiewfinder. I'm living in a place that has harsh sunlight most of the year and the LCD screen is very hard to use. When I have the light comming from the back it's hard to see. I know that the big screen took all the space and there is nothing left for an optical viewfinder, but what good does a large and detailed LCD if one can't really use it at it's full potential ?
Even a tiny optical finder can save the day and help you place that not so brightly lighted subject in it's proper place in the picture.

No white balance for fluorescent light. Miy phone camera( Nokia N96) has it, the manual says that one has to use "Auto" in this case or the WB-Set. In my experience "Auto" doesn't quite do it right. That brings me to the next rant :

White Balance set can be found deep in the recording menu, in the q-menu one can opt for the a peviously set WB. This camera is mostly (in my opinion) somethig that one uses to catch a moment in time, and those have the anoying habit to pass quickly, no time for remembering where the option lies and browse menu pages.

That's about all I stumbled upon in this short time.
All in all I'm pleased with it.

Radu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:49 pm 

I think the ZS7 is made for the iA mode, and has the PASM modes for they who will like it. For people who buy a compact for the PASM modes, they made the GF1.

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:57 pm 
I know many users who prefer P mode than iAuto mode in ZS7. If you have no problem with iAuto mode, that's fine (I'm sure many consumers would be so). But iAuto doesn't even allow any basic focus/exposure parameter changes, and often poeple like me want to modify it depending on the situations as iAuto sometimes doesn't do things exactly right.
So having program auto mode is really necessary, though I agree that ASM mode in this kind of camera is quite limited than DSLRs. If ZS7 has only iAuto mode, I think that will be deal breaker for many people including me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:18 pm 
Hey all :)
I just bought the TZ10/ZS7 with the help of this website. I want to thank Gordon too for helping me by answering some questions I had on youtube. I hope to do a review of the TZ10 outlining the bits that havent been mentioned in Gordon's great review sharing my experience of the camera of what i like and dont like about it. I will also mention some of the best bits about the camera and some tips and tricks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:43 am 
Site Admin

Glad you like it Matt - hope you bought it through one of our partner stores! Remember, anything you buy will support us and help keep the site running...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:43 pm 
Thanks Gordon, yes I bought it through one of the links in the review. By the way, do you get paid from people purchasing the camera through the links or just by visiting the pages from the camera labs website?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:36 am 
Site Admin

They have to buy something for us to receive any commission or fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:29 pm 
Want to say thanks to Camera Labs and this thread for tips and tricks.
Gordon Laing's TZ10 review is a great job. And the posts from MikesMultiMedia are very helpfull.

I did buy a TZ10 before I found this great resource, so no fee provided this time... but I uploaded the very first images I have taken to youtube, so if you have to decide if the TZ10 is the right camera for you, then take a look.

Youtube link: Midsummer bonfire in Norway
A mix between images and 720p video - everything is PointAndShoot on iA setting. A few images are taken in daylight, but the rest are night-recordings in cloudy weather (22:00 - 02:00). A lot of the time the zoom is used.
It is not optimal conditions, but it is a great event - young people making a bonfire that is more than 40 meters high...

Youtube link: Outdoors Theater
Images only. Taken against strong sun, using a lot of zoom (long distance to objects). Again not optimal conditions. A mix between PointAndShoot (iA) and P setting with exposure set to -2/3 using spotfocus. The images with less exposure seems more vibrant - I will test that a lot more in the future.

A few questions:
What settings do you prefer? What custom settings are you using? Are you using any scenes?

I have firmware ver. 1.0, but I'm not able to update to ver. 1.1. Bin file correctly placed in the root of the card, starting up in playback mode, I get the message "no valid picture". Correct, there are no pictures on the card, but I was hoping for an upgrade... Am I the only one here with this issue?

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:59 am 
@PreviousPal:

My camera, thankfully, came with version 1.1 installed, look at this if you haven't for more info:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/d ... index.html

Scenes:
I just bought this camera on Wednesday, but haven't yet really been able to properly test it out. I can tell you though that the "Pinhole" and "Film Grain" Scene modes can produce very nice looking images if used in the right environment. I tried using the High Dynamic mode, but so far I don't think I have been in the proper environment to use it, as the photos come out looking...odd ;-).

Settings I prefer:
Not 100% sure what you mean, which settings are you referring to..this camera has quite a few..but I prefer raising the saturation a notch or two, specially for colorful photos.

Something fun to try:
I don't know if you are interested in cars, however, if you take a close up shot of a car at an angle, pointing it at one corner of the corner, you get a pretty neat fish eye effect due to the 25mm lens.

I was looking at the Sony HX5, and the Canon SX120 and the SX210, together with the ZS7. However every camera except the Panasonic had at least one detriment that I couldn't get over:

HX5 - The whole "2 aperture settings" thing threw me off..
SX210 - I couldn't get over the shape, tried it in the store and it was just way too flat, thin, no grip at all; 28mm widest setting.
SX120 - Felt flimsy, as well as no optical zoom while filming.

Of course the ZS7 seems to be infamous for the video streaks, which I HAVE tested out, and yes, it is annoying, but, remember, you are buying a CAMERA, the fact that it takes HD video is merely a plus, and hopefully it will suffice...I had a Panasonic before this with the same streaks, however in conditions that mattered to me, it usually pulled through ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:59 pm 
I just got my ZS7 yesterday and have been playing around. I noticed the bright light streaking issue even on photos (not just video).

http://gallery.me.com/cdikmen#100430/P1 ... olor=black

I take a lot of photos of the ocean with reflecting sun, so I may need to get some sort of polarizer setup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next