Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:50 pm 
This would be my first interchangeable lens camera. I've seen some different reviews on both cameras and I still couldn't decide which one to choose:

- GF1 (14-45 lens); or
- GH1 (14-140 lens)

The price is very similar, isn't it? So what's the difference, only size? I obviously care about size but I wouldn't mind carrying a GF1 or GH1...

... zoom is not my main concern also, I'm looking for a small DoF though, so I presume zoom would make some difference here?

The general features of both cameras are very similar and it seems to me that the target audience of them are also similar, so, in my perception, Panasonic might discontinue the GH1 in the future once the GF1 is smaller and has almost the same features. Is my perception correct? Is the GF1 model a step-up from GH1?

Well, I would really appreciate some help on my decision...

Many thanks,

Milton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:45 pm 
I think the GH1 is significantly more expensive than GF1. Something like $1500 vs. $900.

The sensors on both cameras are fairly similar. So to get a small depth of field will depend more on your lens than whether you are using the GH1 or GF1 ... I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

The main differences are obviously size, and in the GH1's favour, a detailed electronic viewfinder, flip out screen and 1080p video with stereo sound and a microphone input.

Obviously the 14-140mm zoom with the GH1 is much longer and also supports continuous AF much better in movies.

But yes as Armanius says, the sensors are the same (at least when shooting 4:3), so the depth of field will be the same when using the same lens. Neither of those zooms will really blur the background, but if you go for the 20mm f1.7 pancake lens, you can get some great effects!

Last edited by Gordon Laing on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:06 am 

milton@ozai.com.br wrote:
The price is very similar, isn't it?

Nope, as noted above. Are you sure you're not conflating the GH1 with the G1?

Quote:
The general features of both cameras are very similar and it seems to me that the target audience of them are also similar, so, in my perception, Panasonic might discontinue the GH1 in the future once the GF1 is smaller and has almost the same features. Is my perception correct? Is the GF1 model a step-up from GH1?

My perception--which stems from the fact that the GH1 has full manual control (including shutter speed) while shooting full 1080p AVCHD video (as well as 720p@60 fps, not 30 fps AVCHD-Lite) and comes with the only HD certified lens--is that the GH1 is targeted at prosumer/low-budget/indie filmmakers; while the GF1 is targeted at people who are looking to take better quality (still) photographs than they can with a compact/point-and-shoot style camera in a package that's smaller than most DSLRs.

Personally, from the tilt-swivel LCD to better video to bigger sensor*, I think that it's the GH1 that's a step up from the GF1. Of course, if you don't need/want HD video, and/or you do want a smaller form factor, and/or you're on a budget, you shouldn't be stepping up from the GF1 to the GH1. But that doesn't mean the GF1 is a step up; it means that the GF1 is better suited to your situation.

Although, the combination of GH1 and GF1 does seem to make the G1 (which doesn't do video at all, but is bigger than the GF1) the odd man out. So I wouldn't be surprised to see that model discontinued.

Having said all of that...

Quote:
I'm looking for a small DoF though, so I presume zoom would make some difference here?

I threw together a quick comparison of the GH1's 14-140mm kit and 20mm prime lenses; you can take a look at it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bitmaestro ... 63/detail/

HTH - Mark

{edit}
*Practically speaking, the sensors are essentially the same. But technically, well, I'll just quote Gordon's very thorough review:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... dict.shtml

Quote:
the Lumix GF1 is equipped with the same 12.1 Megapixel Live MOS sensor as the Lumix G1 before it. As such, the maximum resolution is 4000x3000 pixels in the 4:3 aspect ratio, and if you switch to wider 3:2 or 16:9 modes, the image will be vertically-cropped; this is unlike the Lumix GH1 which employed a slightly larger sensor, allowing it to maintain the same angle of view across multiple aspect ratios.

{/edit}

Post subject: gh1
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 pm 
I can tell you that I purchased the GH1 and have absolutely no regrets. I have been searching for ONE camera that will do everything for years and the GH1 is it.

Its pretty small (fits in my Camelback while mountain biking - I usually use the 14-45 to keep it light as possible)
Lens selection is insane.
so far I have the following
14-140 kit lens
14-45 (g1 kit lens)
50, 100, 200mm canon FD macro (need adapter) cheap lenses!
F1.5 12.5mm C-mount lens
F1.9 10mm C-mount
35mm Tilt shift lens
400mm Tokina FD
raynox 250 macro adapter (for portable macro shots, works great)

I purchased a remote timer for Time Lapse movies. Works great.

I have used this camera for just about everything. Pictures of the moon, mountain biking videos, biking action shots, sunset time lapse, stars & moon time lapse, Tons of macros, wildlife, architecture...

I cant speak for the GF1, but when I look at the specs, im not interested since I have a zs3 for my pocket camera.

Any ?'s just ask!

Some sample shots & movies

http://www.cameraduel.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=25

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=62806386

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=61862550