Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 pm 
Thanks for the prompt reply and for guiding in the right direction.
In your feature section you mention the DMW-LT55 Lens Converter as the best alternative to reach that range similar to the Canon, however at a hefty price of $200US, I want to know if there are other options similar in quality.
For example, what are your views of the Olympus TCON-1.7x Telephoto Converter Lens at $95US?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

I haven't used any of the converters, sorry. But again, is 486mm not enough?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:06 pm 
Gordon,

I know you said the SX10/20 seem to have sharper details than the FZ35/38, but images exhibit greater fringing.

I am one that does not mind fringing too much (not a professional) and like sharper detail.

Can I get the FZ35/38 to exhibit greater detail and look more "Canon Like" by increasing sharpness/contrast settings and/or reducing noise reduction settings?

Also, any thoughts on which camera has better low light performance..the FZ35/38 or SX10?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi pittguy578, you can djust the sharpening etc on the Panasonic, although I've not tried to match it with the Canon's output. If you look at my results pages though, they are very close already, so long as you make sure their f-numbers are the same.

As for low light, read this page:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... oise.shtml

Post subject: Great FZ35/38 review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 pm 

Hi Gordon,

really a great and convincing review 8)

Is there for the video part any consequence in buying the FZ35 ( instead of the FZ38) for use in Europe? Editing the NTSC video on a PC should not be a problem. Maybe directly connecting the FZ35 to a TV will only work if it has both PAL/NTSC modes ?

Thanks and regards,

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Eric, if you buy a US model, then it may not have a PAL TV output option, so you'll need to make sure your TV can accept an NTSC signal if you want to do standard definition slideshows - or just use HDMI of course.

If you buy a US model, the AVCHD frame rate on the FZ35 will be 30 / 60fps, which is fine, but could cause problems if you're trying to use the clips in a PAL / 25 / 50 project.

Note an interesting option is the Australian / NZ model: this is also known as the FZ35, offers PAL frame rates, but isn't restricted on recording time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:16 am 

Hello Eric, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:05 pm 

Hi Gordon,
why does the FZ35/38 get a "Highly Recommended" and the LX3 only a "Recommended" in their reviews? Has IQ (as in image quality :) ) got anything to do with it?
It is an honest question :twisted: as I am still undecided on buying one of these 2 as a second camera. Normally I would go for the LX3 because of the 24mm and the size of the camera, but I was quite surprised to see how compact the FZ38 is (I could live with the 27mm having the superzoom as compensation). I know they are different cameras, but there we are ... :oops: My actual second camera is a Panny FX-35, it is quite handy but the noise spoils it all and I want to avoid making the same error.
My first camera is a Canon 40D. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers,
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Eric, if you read the whole text on the verdict pages, you'll understand all the pros and cons. Remember they're also aimed at different people. In terms of superzooms, the FZ38 / FZ35 is one of the best, but for enthusiasts, the LX3 is good but far from perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:48 pm 
Hi, I have Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35 camera. I want to buy Hoya PRO1 Super HMC UV Filter. Thread size for FZ35 is 46mm. It required the DMW-LA3 lens adapter. Since above type of filters are not available in 46mm size. But they are available in 52mm size. But I doubt wheather this will fitt into the camera or not?
Please advice wheather 52mm filters can be use with FZ35 using DMW-LA3 lens adapter direcly or using step up ring?
If so will this give any problem while operating or image quality?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:24 pm 
Hi, Gordon :)
Thanks for the really nice reviews! I was looking to buy a new camera and your website helped a lot to make the right balance between quality, price and most important - my entry level as a photographer and the camera specs.
Anyway, I chose the FZ38 (FZ35) and hope to have done the right choice :)
But I have a problem with choosing the right SDHC card for the FZ38...
The camera can shoot HD and I suspect there is going to be a problem with the write speeds from the camera to the card.
Any suggestions on your side?
By the way there was nothing on read/write speed in your FZ38 review... Could you speculate a little bit on this, please?
Best regards!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi minko, welcome on-board!

You'll need a fairly quick card, but nothing over the top. A SanDisk Ultra III or faster should be fine.

I used a Lexar Pro card, although that's probably a bit overkill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
Thanks, Gordon :) I think I'll go for the Lexar as well...
I read they always sell it together with a USB card reader so actually it's a better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:39 am 
i purchased the FZ-35 a few weeks back and i've shot a few HD movies in AVCHD and out of the lot of 10 or so movies, 3 of them started all blurry and took 10+ seconds to focus is this normal? i thought i was covering the AFOCUS sensor, but i tried doing it on purpose tonight while i was shooting a movie or 2 and didn't duplicate the problem. now i'm not sure, is this particular model defective then? it should only take a few seconds if that in IA movie mode to autofocus right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

Did you make sure the camera was focused before you started filming - you do this by half-pressing the shutter release button.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next