Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:56 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:56 pm 
Hey everyone,

I'm new here. Been looking all over for some info. regarding recording times of my TZ5 and found this site. Hopefully one of you out there can help.

I have tried both a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD & a Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC memory card in the camera and noticed that the recording time is a little over 8 minutes for both (1280x720 @ 30fps). Is there a 2 GB file limit when recording movies regardless of the memory card size?

I guess I just assumed that if I had 8 minutes with a 2GB card - I would get about 16 with a 4GB card.

Anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike, welcome on-board.

I believe the Motion JPEG recording mode on the TZ5 and TZ7 / ZS3 is limited to a maximum file size of 2GB per clip. So with a bigger card, you'd have to stop at the 2GB size and start recording a enw file.

But then 8 minutes for a single clip should still be sufficient for most situations unless you want to record an entire concert!

The alternative AVCHD Lite video mode on the newer TZ7 / ZS3 is supposed to lift this restriction, but sadly I didn't have a big enough card to try that for myself when testing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:39 pm 
Hey Gordon,

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. If i where to use a 4GB card then I should be able to record 2 2GB files or twice as long as a 2GB?

Basically, I use the HD video mode to record quick movies of my 7 month old daughter and each video is no more than 1 to 2 minutes. I guess I was hoping that if a 2GB card gave me 8 minutes than the 4GB would give me 16 minutes and allow me more recording time before having to upload and reformat.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike, as I understand it - but remember I haven't tried a 4GB card in the camera, so can't say for sure - you should be able to use the entire capacity of the card when filming, but with a maximum file size per clip of 2GB. So if you went for the maximum length, you'd fit 2 x 2GB clips on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 pm 
Thanks Gordon. Will play around a bit more with it.
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:32 am 
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain why the video mode on DSLRs and superzoom cameras is capacity /time limited? Is the sensor prone to overheating or something? Or maybe it is a data transfer problem. None of the books or manuals I have seen bother to explain it.