Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 am 
A few questions as I'm thinking of buying this camera. Would really appreciate some help here as this camera really interests me however I've always been a big Canon fan for its great picture quality. The e18 fiasco with their lens and them not taking responsibility for it has left a bad taste in my mouth, as well as their new release competing with this camera not having optical zoom really leads me to beleive that Canon is falling behind.

Anyways, here are my questions:

1) Can you watch video directly from your camera to ANY HDTV? Reason I ask is I've read some comments that the camera only works with Panny HDTV's, and I have a Samsung HDTV.

2) Is the video true 720p? I know it actually ouputs at 30fps just doubled to get a 60 fps effect, but I've read that the video is not as crisp and sharp on their TV's? That is a major concern to me as I'm looking for a small compact with ultra wide angle zoom and decent video which I'm thinking this camera offers.

3) When shooting pictures in IA mode, will it select from all 28 available scenes, or only from a few? Few interesting scenes like sunset where all the perfect settings are already programmed in the camera really appeal to me, don't care for manual control.

4) I've read that on Sunny Days the white balance is off and should be adjusted to get proper exposure. I don't understand this and how can this be fixed?

5) Can this camera allow you to select an object to focus, with the background slightly blurry?? If so, how is this accomplished?

6) Can you burn video recorded with AVCHD Lite directly to any DVD? Will the files be too big to write to DVD?

Thats all for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:45 pm 
I think the AI Auto isn't 100% good. You can set exposure compensation I think.

From what I have seen its decent HD, although it is an ultra compact. In dark situations the video seems to drop to standard definition. The focus struggles. Auto is good but not pin sharp. Its 10MP but you can't really crop photos.

Don't expect the world.... :roll: But it is top in its class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:11 pm 
randomagain wrote:
I think the AI Auto isn't 100% good. You can set exposure compensation I think.

From what I have seen its decent HD, although it is an ultra compact. In dark situations the video seems to drop to standard definition. The focus struggles. Auto is good but not pin sharp. Its 10MP but you can't really crop photos.

Don't expect the world.... :roll: But it is top in its class.

Hi! Thanks for your reply. It does address one of my questions, regarding the white balance, but I don't really understand it to be honest. How does one figure out how to compensate for when the camera doesn't seem to have the correct exposure? I've seen people post something like -1/3 but don't understand this.

As for the video, I don't expect the world for sure, but if they advertise 720p, I expect it, thats for sure. In dark situations, I can certainly understand the drop in quality, but most of my video should be in good light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:14 pm 
well you can usually download manuals from lumix or whoever and check

the guy who owns the TZ6 said he could adjust the exposure... so I assume the TZ7 can

The camera will struggle with white, it tends to go flat, and glow a tad bright.

check youtube for examples,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:26 pm 
looks like a lot of eyes on my questions. Would be great if George could attempt an answer to my questions. I thoroughly enjoyed his review of the product. Even others who have had some extensive use of the Camera, I'll check back later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Admin

Hi superstar905, a lot of the questions you've asked are answered in my review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... C_TZ7_ZS3/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi superstar905, a lot of the questions you've asked are answered in my review here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... C_TZ7_ZS3/

Hi Gordon. I actually read your review and that is where these questions are coming from and actually spurned me to join camera labs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:45 am 
not a lot of help here. No worries, seems to be many more people at dpreview and got my answers. Thanks anyways.