Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:02 pm 
I have a very frustrating problem and I'm wondering if someone here can help me with it. So far it's the only drawback I've found since buying the FZ28. It relates to the automatic rotation detection feature.

My practice for processing pictures I take has long been to first review them in the default Windows viewer and rotate my vertical shots as needed. This doesn't actually modify the file, it just marks the metadata so Explorer knows how to orient the image for everywhere Windows is concerned. I then make edits in Photoshop if needed and save.

However, I've found that when I do this with my FZ28, I can rotate the images in the default viewer, view them properly in Photoshop, save a copy as a .jpg, view them from my hard drive in Internet Explorer or any other program and have them appear fine, only to upload them to a webhost and have them revert to horizontal orientation. Through much deliberation I believe I've concluded that this is because, even though I have turned the "automatic rotation" feature off on the camera, turning the feature off only means that the camera doesn't display them vertically on the LCD for playback - it still marks the image's metadata with a "rotated" entry.

If I open the images straight from my camera into Photoshop, Photoshop orients them properly because it reads that metadata marker. However, Explorer does not, and displays the images horizontally by default, which drives me bugshit. If I rotate them, Photoshop still reads them properly, but because they've apparently been marked twice with "rotated" metadata entries that means that certain programs and webhosts end up displaying them horizontally even after I've made modifications and saved them from Photoshop in their proper orientation.

So far, the only way I've found to view the images in their correct orientation everywhere is to open them in Photoshop and save them as copies. But that's a pain in the ass to do for every single file. Alternatively, I could perhaps find a way to strip the exif data from each file and then orient them how I want them, but I would prefer to leave the data intact should I ever want to know what settings I used or prove a picture is mine.

So. Long story short. Is there a way to prevent my FZ28 from marking images as "rotated"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:27 am 
if no-one replies try the flickr fz28 group

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:40 pm 
I've done a lot of searching on this and have come up completely empty-handed, but finally I've figured out a solution.

Photoshop droplets. I made one that simply runs my images through Photoshop and saves them as copies at the same quality. This means my images are saved as rotated without mucking with a bunch of conflicting metadata entries.

If anyone comes across this thread having this problem and can't figure out how to make your own droplet, message me and I can send you mine or tell you how to make your own.