Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm 
Just wondering how good the video recording quality of the FZ28 is. I have seen a few samples on the web, and have noticed slight "jumps" in exposure every few seconds and a slight "tearing" of verticals on pans. Does this happen a lot, or was it just a bad encode for the web?

Has anyone here got some good demo footage shot on the FZ28? Basically I would be using it for "locked-offs" of landscapes/seascapes at various focal lengths and the occasional slow zoom, pan or tilt. Would the quality equal a basic video camera or would it be more like a HQ mobile phone?

I have a Nikon D40 at the moment and don't know whether to spend £200 on another lens for it (the kit lens is total rubbish) or whether to buy the FZ28 instead. Picture quality seems similar, so it would be the video mode that would swing me one way or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:55 pm 
Here's a sample I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmS_xqhnZrc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:09 pm 
I have to say that video is the best I have yet seen from the FZ28, although it is playing back quite "jerky" in YouTube HD. I wonder, are there any similar vids available for download in full 720p quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:43 am 
I thought I spotted Hannibal Lecter in that video!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:41 am 
:) Thank you for the sharing information.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIXXM_copCA
Panasonic FZ28's HD video was better than my Canon powershot SX110 IS. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:47 pm 
the jumps maybe because its at 30fps, PAL is 25fps so you get some drop framing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Noxtek <<< he done a number of vids

the HD quality looks very good, although the audio isn't crisp

one issue I believe is streaks caused by hot spots, ie the sun, light reflecting off water.

also I don't believe you have control over the focus whilst in video... ask an owner

base line is if you want a video camera, get a video camera. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 am 
Site Admin

I included some video clips in my FZ28 video tour here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panas ... view.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 pm 
Thanks for the replies. I have managed to download some good HD stuff from YouTube in full 720p mode. The quality of the video looks excellent (for a stills camera) way better than any other non-video camera I've seen.

The reason I am interested in the video aspect is that I would like the opportunity to be able to shoot a few minutes of video while out on location shooting stills ... BUT without having to carry a video camera in tow. I know its still early days for this sort of integration, but the FZ28 seems the best of the bunch so far. I was showing the demos to a couple of cameramen here (I work for the BBC) and they were impressed - obviously it doesn't quite stack up against a Sony HD790 at 60 grand, but it'll do at a pinch!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:49 pm 
randomagain wrote:
the jumps maybe because its at 30fps, PAL is 25fps so you get some drop framing.

the HD quality looks very good, although the audio isn't crisp

one issue I believe is streaks caused by hot spots, ie the sun, light reflecting off water.

also I don't believe you have control over the focus whilst in video... ask an owner

It's possible that there is a 30/25fps problem but with HD sources the whole NTSC (never the same colour) incompatability has all but gone. I think all TV's now can display both 50Hz and 60Hz sources.

Yes, the audio is crap, but I can live with that for now - I'd only be wanting a bit of background atmos rather than good quality v/o's.

Vertical streaking on highlights is a fault of most domestic video cameras (I have a Panasonic GS500 3 chipper and it suffers from the same fate).

The autofocus does work in video mode, but is a lot slower than a dedicated video cam so allowances need to be made for this in editing.

As I said before, the video aspect of this cam would be secondary to its stills capability, but a benefit still worth having - especially for a little over 200 quid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:15 am 
I absolutely agree on every word that energy80s has written down here.

The only major backdraw with the 30fps is that you can not simply convert it to a PAL dvd since it has issues with frames. You will see skipping during movements.
I know the standard dvd will dissapear but when you have family abroad that cannot handle a pc (grandparents etc) this can be a bit of a difficult one.

On my part, since I own a FZ28, the audio is a bit of a pitty but the most important fuction is to capture 1 frame images and that's where it is very good at.
I still have an old HI8 that was tops of the bill 15 years ago and where I paid 2000€ for, the FZ28 is about 330€ now.
When I compare outdoor videos on my 32 inch LCD my FZ28 wins hands on.