Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:25 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I didn't take technical measurements of geometric distortion, so can't give you an exact figure - I can only point you towards the sample images in the gallery and results pages. I didn't notice anything too bad in these shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 pm 

The sample shots did look good.
I take a lot of shots of buildings and this is always a tougher test than landscapes.

Ive noticed a few shops in Newcastle have the TZ6 in stock but I havent seen the TZ7 for sale yet.

This might be a better alternative as Im not really bothered too much about HD movie mode.

Thanks Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:47 am 

Actually TZ7 AVCHD 1280x720 is 60fps progressive in any quality mode.
Here are my samples i made for about 2 weeks since bought it: http://www.box.net/shared/ivuq6np1pg
Video is in its native MTS files in full quality, though there are some low quality. There are videos with wind filter on and off, with voice (sorry for pronunciation) and music and street noise.

(Removed period after the link. It didnt work because of it)

Last edited by Rambalac on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:08 pm 

Please find here 2 french tests of the TZ7/ZS3 and the Canon SX200is.
The link are google traduction in english.

PANASONIC TZ7/ZS3 REVIEW HERE

CANON SX200 is REVIEW HERE

IMAGE FIGHTING HERE
just click under step 3 to show differents shots with these 2 cameras.

I'm Waiting for your test before buying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:01 pm 

Some reviews on the SX200 from the Canon USA site:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... 29#reviews

DOUGDOUGI wrote:
Please find here 2 french tests of the TZ7/ZS3 and the Canon SX200is.
The link are google traduction in english.

PANASONIC TZ7/ZS3 REVIEW HERE

CANON SX200 is REVIEW HERE

IMAGE FIGHTING HERE
just click under step 3 to show differents shots with these 2 cameras.

I'm Waiting for your test before buying...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:06 am 

Hello Gordon!,

First off what a great site and reviews, I was really happy to have come across it by chance. I'm on my 4th digital camera (Canon A710 is) and still use basically the Auto settings only.

When I first saw the Canon Sx200 was coming out I promptly sold the A710 and was planning to update to the SX200 . BUT then I came across the new Pannasonic ZS3 and have been reading every review I could find.

I'm still on the fence, I see that there is a problem with a loose dial on the Panny? Could it be just a few models or perhaps all of them? I like a quality built camera and I usually carry the camera in my top pocket so that has me a little concerned.

The Zoom focus issues on the ZS3 could that possibly be fixed or upgraded down the line with some kind of software upgrade?

Same goes for the Canon SX200 which only has the digital zoom like my A710. WOuld you think that the there would be a CHDK upgrade to enable the optical zoom like there was for the A710?

On the fence and its driving me nuts, the Canon Sx200 looks like a very well built camera and probably would do everything that I wanted. But the optical zoom and stereo sound on the ZS3 seems very nice also.

I did see that post on the comparison photo tests from the gentelman in France and to myself the camera are very close photo wise and the Canon seems to be better in the low light.......

Again thanks for the great sight! Cant wait for your final review / test between the two cameras!

John

Gordon Laing wrote:
I should say that while it is a bit loose, I never personally found it an issue.

Post subject: image quality
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:16 am 

Hi Gordon, thanks for the review (btw please remember to add the scores!)

Would you say that the TZ7 has improved image quality (especially noise) when comparing it to the previous TZ5? I love this camera, as I loved the TZ5, but I had reservations about how Panasonic cameras dealt with ISO/noise.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John, I can't say what Panasonic's future plans are, but I suspect all TZ7 / ZS3 have dials which aren't that stiff, and I wouldn't expect an update to improve the AF performance. I think what you see right now is what you get.

Hi rafa, you can compare the noise levels and image quality by opening the results and gallery pages from each review!

I'm also looking forward to testing the SX200, but can't say when...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:06 am 

Hi everybody !

I have bought a small Canon IXUS 400 7 years ago (compact) , a Sony DSC H5 3 years ago (bridge) but now i want a smaller camera like the ixus with a big zoom like the Sony.

I made my choice and after having the TZ7 and the SX200is in hand, after reading a lot of tests and compared differents shots, i bought the Pana TZ7 and a 12 GB Class 4 SDHC Card (Panasonic RP-SDM12G specified ideal for AVCHD 10 mb/s) not to expensive 30€.

Why ? because the pop up flash of the SX200, only centered autofocus on the SX200 (no AiAF) even if Canon seems to be better in low light shots... and have manual controls but i don't need this.
The TZ7 has 2 millions less, is 80€ more but is 25mm instead of the 28mm of the Canon, the Intelligent Autofocus for the other users of this Camera at my home.

Yesterday morning, battery fully charged, i have tested all the options of the manual during 1h30. Easy to use. Nice options.

- Very good global quality of the camera.
- The Zoom is not very easy to put on the good step. You must push the zoom button very slowly
- To view the last shot you need to change the position of a button. It's not a pushing button. Durability with use and time ?
- The DIAL is loose but not so much. It doesn't turn when in and out of the pocket. I can put it in inexistent position :?
- With the 12Gb card, 2050 photos Camera estimation
- The door of the battery compartiment seems to be "fragile" so need to be carefull

In the afternoon, going to a hood with my daughter, i bring the TZ7 to make tests shots. Battery was empty after nearly 70 shots and a short video (remember i tried all the menus in the morning) anf it was the first charge. I hope it will last a lot better in the future.

Now after testing i can say :

Intelligent auto is excellent and change automaticcaly and easily to macro mode on a flower then in landscape mode and then in portrait mode. A very good thing for those who don't want to touch anything on their camera.

Very good detecting motion, the spot move with the face or the object (bird for ex) you want to shot.

Face recognition is excellent, except for my daughter not working 100% but she is always moving ! It recognizes me with or without glasses (not sun glasses 8) )

Intelligent contrast on, automatically brighten dark aeras and worked great yesterday in the hood without touching anything.

We can change the compensation too with +/- 1/3 EV and camera can take 3 photos in the 3 position in a very short time.

For the 70 photos in the hood (low light and no direct sunlight condition) the most were in 80 to 160 iso. Sometimes with flash activated. In that case, a good point for me is that the background is still very visible and natural and not becoming black like i see on other cameras.

Some photos (2) were at 400 iso and one at 320 and one at 800 but the zoom was at the maximum position (x12). (shoting my dog far away). In that case, on the PC screen (1920*1200) , i can see differences with other shots, it's less detailed and more noisy but i think it's certainly still printable in a good format (A4 21cm * 29cm )

Video quality is excellent, sound too, my class 4 card (10mb/s) is sufficient. I can read AVCHD format on vista using VLC media player without installing nothing else. I installed nothing from the CD icluded in the box.

For me it's a good camera, nice shots and nice colors, very easy to use "pick up an shot", i haven't try in night conditions but i think it won't be very good. High Iso are a little noisy when you look at it in details on the PC screen. Printed in a normal size it should be very nice.

It's a lot lighter and smaller than my Sony DSC H5 and a good thing for my trip in NY in May.

I think i will try it more this afternoon in good light conditions. It's sunny today ! 8)

I hope that my english is good :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:37 pm 

Just bought the TZ6/ZS1.

Mode dial not as slack as I feared and as Gordon suggested, its not an issue.

Good image quality improvement over my TZ2 and the extra 3mm at wide setting is a big bonus.

Its great being able to zoom on video mode {I wasnt bothered about HD thats why I opted for cheaper TZ6}

The TZ2 did not have the IA feature and this is the first time ive ever used it and its impressive so far.

I hope to get out tommorrow and take a few photos.

I really like the, hold feature which keeps the picture just taken on screen until another button is pressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi DOUGDOUGI, Hi TZ2, thanks for your reports! It's always good to hear what people think of these cameras, and I'm glad you both seem happy with them. Please keep us updated!

I'm also glad that neither of you found the loose mode dial too much of a problem, and that you found the iA mode as effective as I did.

As you know, I had some AF issues when zooming while filming. I solved this by disabling CAF and PreAF, although the image would subsequently go a bit out of focus as you zoomed. I would be interested to hear what you think and if you find a solution that works for you.

PS - TZ2, will you now change your username to TZ6?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:06 pm 

Hi!

Thanks for the review Gordon. It was the final point to rush out an buy a brown TZ7 (the only one with a matte finish).

I'm really really happy with it. I tried the TZ5 last year and wasn't very impressed.

The TZ7 has great features and it is the most complete package for me.

I'm still waiting for a (your famous) video review of the TZ7.

BTW: The dial isn't a real problem... ;)

Here are some pictures from my trip to the Baltic Sea last week... weather wasn't too good... :)

All pics out of the cam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/plantagoo/ ... 095816930/

Greetings
Erik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 am 

Very nice images there,Erik.

Below are four links to TZ6 images.

The first two compare the older 28mm wide coverage of the TZ2 to the new 25mm coverage of the TZ6
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... difference

below is the new 25mm of the TZ6.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... 6-zs1-25mm

Below is two images taken from the same identical spot, the Gateshead Millenium bridge, Im looking at the famous bridges on the Tyne at full 25mm coverage.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... iver-tyne#

Below is with the full 12x zoom at 300mm, this was taken hand held at 1/250th with ISO at 80.
Remember this is taken from the exact same spot as the above image.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... th-iso-80#

Im really enjoying the camera but since ive been out and about ive noticed that when I use the IA function it nearly always puts the white balance on auto mode.
I never use auto.
Sunny or Shade will give far more vibrant results.

One final image from Tyneside
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... test-shot#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:03 pm 

If anyone is able to put these images in with my post {Im from Newcastle its way too advanced} feel free to.

Just added a macro shot of the edge of a 10p piece.
http://www.redbubble.com/people/onions/ ... -test-10p#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hi TZ2, I edited your post to show the image - it's quite easy:

Just right click your image at redbubble and choose properties.

If you're using Internet Explorer, copy the address, and if you're using firefox, copy the location.

Then in your forum post, just type [img]then%20paste%20your%20image%20address%20from%20above,%20and%20them%20type[/img] with no spaces anywhere.

This will then make the image appear in your post - try it out!

PS - make sure you only embed images less than 1000 pixels wide though please!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next