Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:55 pm 

rayaz wrote:
I did a research on both the items, and though verdict was to go with the FZ35/38, I finally went with the ZS3 as my wife got shocked that the everyday use camera was gonna be chunk sized FZ35!!!!
. (....)

:wink: thanx ravaz. Ive had couple of compacts in my live , think its time to move on . These year˙s summer vacation - in that 20 days there were so many times when I was wondering , geee , I wish this camera was better ..
Im quite sure Ill go for FZ38. I am getting bag :D (litteraly , somethin like this http://cgi.ebay.com/PUMA-Small-Messenger-Shoulder-Bag-Black-Fall-2009-BN_W0QQitemZ270486029620QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_CSA_MWA_Backpacks?hash=item3efa394534

one more question - how helpfull that RAW-format capability really is?I can alter foto in some programs like CS4 as I understood. I can do that with .jpg also?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:16 pm 

I breifly revisited this format editing problem and think I have found some useful info (yes I feel a little cheated, 50p this camera is not :evil:) :

The AVCHD Lite format for these cameras is quoted as '50p recording' but with a disclaimer that the CCD records at 25fps.

Some users might be led to believe that the 50p format (60p for NTSC) will give them 50 frames per second. This is not the case. 50p is a signal setting stating that AVCHD Lite from these cameras will play back at 50 fields per second, from a captured video of 25 frames per second.

How does this work? Well, they provide a 50p output signal by repeating each frame's display twice.

Why would they do this? We can only assume that the 50p signal may look better on some displays (this was not that case in our tests). As an example, in non-digital cinemas, the films are provided as 24 frames per second but the projectors run at 48 cycles per second to reduce flicker.

We can tell you that there are 25 frames per second in the H.264 video stream within a AVCHD Lite video.

Form this link

DarkHorse wrote:
Great review Gordon... bought one! 8) :D
The TZ7 is a very nice camera for my requirements... but is there any support to decode AVCHD Lite 720p 50fps PAL on a PC (under Vista)? FDDshow and MPlayer Classic has a go but it looks like 2x25fps with 2 frames the same. I can't find any conversion method for a more compatible intermediate format whilst maintaining 720p @ 50fps which should yield fresh motion and panning compared to interlaced or being forced to drop down to 25fps (which tends to be the only option with more noticable pan blur).

I want to hold on to 50fps progressive whilst editing even as the final format will be for internet transport 640x360 @ 50fps WMV.
25fps is an option but if you have 50fps progressive scan then why not be able to use it? Seems a waste to capture 50fps and not be able to exploit it.
If not now then when?

Apologies if this is a repeat question, please post links to relevant information. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:41 pm 

Howdy,

I've had the TZ7 for almost a year and have been really happy with it.

As of late it's taking out of focus night shots. I've tried every different mode and tried every different setting on normal mode.

The kind of pics i'm trying to take are portraits. Eg..my family from a few metres away using the flash. The pics aren't terrible, but they are unacceptable. Faces are out of focus and when zooming in, are very blended, not sharp at all. The mother in laws 3 year old canon compact does a brilliant job by comparison!

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? All i can find are rave reviews about this camera so i'm wondering if mine has a defect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:44 pm 

Hello wesweswes, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
To enjoy your stay here please have a look at the house-rules!
----
As to your Q: most cameras have trouble focussing under low-light conditions. It might help to focus on a light-source or better lit object and then recompose.
Your wording of "blended" did also resonate with another effect here: It might just be that the camera used very high ISO (can you find out and post what it actually used?) and then applied massive noise-reduction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hello!

I have look and looked and looked and looked, and even looked some more at different cameras and in the end it comes down to camera size.

I am a amateur, a person who likes taking photos but doesn't really get what is really going on inside the camera's body, a mum who needs to be able to whip the camera out, part of a family who travels several times a year.

I adore the whole Lumix FZ35 and want it so badly but I am very concerned about it's size. Realistically is it going to fit in my medium sized handbag-it simply comes down to that, can I easily carry it around?

My other option is the Lumix Z3S because without a doubt I can shove that in a bag. I totally understand this camera doesn't have manual controls and honestly as much as I think I might use manual features, I probably never will.

Can anyone tell me about the size and handbag-ability of the FZ35??

Thx so much.

PS So happy this is a New Zealand thing! [Waves from Australia]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi franticfrog, welcome on-board!

The question of size is something only you can answer for yourself. What seems small to one person my be huge to another, and vice versa. It's also hard to visualise how something may or may not squeeze into a bag or pocket without trying it in person, so I'd recommend heading to a camera store and checking some models out in person.

The TZ7 / ZS3 is of course much smaller and more pocketable than the FZ35 / FZ38, but the zoom range isn't quite as long. But then, the zoom range is still pretty big on the TZ7 / ZS3, so you may not need the extra range of the bigger model.

My Mum actually has an older version of the FZ38 and she carries it around in her bag no problem, but then it seems small compared to her older SLR, so it depends what you're used to. Interestingly she very rarely uses it at anything other than wide-angle, so the super-zoom aspect ended up being redundant for her. BUT she preferred the grip of the bigger camera to a compact as it was easier to hold steadily and more reminiscent of her older SLR. Likewise for the inclusion of a viewfinder over composing with the screen alone. Again all personal choices!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:42 am 

Thanks Gordon. I watched your videos at YouTube, bloody excellent. Thanks for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:02 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, I couldn't mention this earlier, but Panasonic has just announced the successor to the TZ7 / ZS3! It's called the TZ10 / ZS5 and you can out all about it in our [url=http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_TZ10_ZS7/verdict.shtml[Panasonic Lumix TZ10 / ZS5 preview[/url]!

PS - we also have a seperate thread about it here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173042

Please keep this thread only about the TZ5 / ZS3 - thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:17 am 

Hi Gordon,

I bought the TZ7 after seeing your review, I always check your reviews before comitting to buy a camera ;)

To go straight to the subject.. I noticed something interesting about the TZ7 regarding the aspect ratio and the wideness of the picture.

The camera's sensor is 10.1MP but when shooting in 4:3 only 10MP are used (picture size 3648×2736), when shooting in 16:9 the size of the picture is 3968×2232 and the picture is wider not just in pixels but also in view. Results that when shooting in 4:3 only 92% of the length of the sensor is used.

Next, the camera's lens is 25 - 300mm (35mm equiv). The question is: these 25mm of wideness are available only when shooting in 16:9 ? (when 100% of the length of the sensor is used).

If the answer is yes - which I think it is - then these 25mm of wideness when shooting in 4:3 are not quite relevant and the panasonic marketing dept certainly knows that.

Thanks and greetings from Eastern Europe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 am 

Over the past couple of weeks I had the unfortunate experience of noisy zoom / autofocus issues with this camera.

I returned the camera, but found the clips I recorded just after unboxing it.

After raising the issue, so perhaps Gordon may incorporate a noise level component to his reviews (yea, right, like he doesn't have enough to do.) I went ahead and put my money where my mouth is and did a quick video study of the noise levels while zooming.

I've uploaded it to youtube in 720P format here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4zLINEf46M

Below is a brief text transcript of the video study:

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7/ZS3 Noise Study: Zoom/Autofocus Noise v1 [720P]

Noise Study: Zoom / Autofocus (Informal)

Conditions: Quite Room
Post Processing:
Part 1: Normal Audio
Part 2: Audio Enhanced by 12db
Date: March 4, 2010

Clip Sequence:
1. Room Ambiance
2. Zoom Starts
3. Zoom Stops
4. Room Ambiance

The clips are played back in various manners to illustrate the entire spectrum of noise generated by the zoom motor in the camera.

There are two parts. Part 1 plays back the clip(s) with no audio enhancement, dragged strait to the timeline.

Because the audio may be too low to here on normal computer speakers, Part 2 repeats the clip sequence with a 12 db enhancement to the audio track.

Notes:
1. Enhancing audio level by 12db equally
enhances the ambiance as well.
2. This was done for practical reasons
for playback on regular speakers.
3. Zoom lever release noise remarkable.
4. Zoom noise may be drowned out by
traditional outdoor ambiance.
5. Zoom noise may be noticable under quiet
conditions such as a personal one-on-one
interview, or other quiet room setting.

Post subject: help
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 pm 

hi at all...i am new and a beginner !

i have a big problem ... what little, sexy camera i buy ? what is the best in photos

and HD video ?

I see the Lumix ZS3 (TZ7) or the lumix TZ8 or TZ9 or the canon ixus 120 or

Lumix ZX1 ,Canon SX200 ? or ? what is the best to buy ?

Second big question, ok i see the hd movie AVCHD on VLC Player but in how mode
I burn the video hd in a normal DVD ? a freeware software (i have windows xp)
To create a dvd (not blue-Ray disc) ? How freeware software i convert this
Proprietary file video with extension . MTS ?

please help me ..... hi ! Mery from Italy

p.s. in case yu say the “incredible” Lumix TZ7 its true the picture change to red ?
and are very bad in dark and in night mode with use the flash ?
the HD video have noise and some beeps ? and the HD video not in AVCHD
but in normal jpeg codec is good or ?

is a good buy the lumix tz7 ? help me... :shock:

on lumix tz7 its true that:

1.)picture in dark or night is very bad ?

2.)movie HD have a beep and continuous rumor? Or good?

3.)What program use to burn video HD on DVD ? i have nero 6 (old) but i think Not work...how freeware program use to convert the HD AVCHD into a AVI File video ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:42 pm 

> 1.)picture in dark or night is very bad ?
Nothing special or great in the dark, all cameras need light to form an image unless using a tripod with a long steady exposure. As a novice (point and click user), I tolerate image noise for quick indoor or low light shots.

> 2.)movie HD have a beep and continuous rumor? Or good?
I think you refer to the auto focus, zoom and stabilisation noises that occur in movie mode. There is supposed to be some filtering to reduce noise generated from the mechanics of the camera in operation but there are noticable noises when shooting quiet scenes. remember that it is really a still shot compact camera that tries to fill a multi roll, for it's time, price and size the camera does well in HD, all be it with some notable limitations.:wink:

> 3.)What program use to burn video HD on DVD ? i have nero 6 (old)
> but i think Not work...how freeware program use to convert the HD
> AVCHD into a AVI File video ?
Not used any freeware but have used Pinnacle Studio 12, TMPGEnc Express 4.6 or better. Most recent software supports the AVCHD, which is actually only 25 fps embedded in 720p 50fps file format (PAL UK here).

Haven't looked around recently so couldn't recommend anything. I guess the newer versions would be an obvious place to start.

someone wrote:
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7/TZ10 is the best compromise camera I've seen for both video and stills. It takes good stills and it takes good video. Yes, you can get a better still-image compact digital camera and you can get a better consumer HD camcorder. However, each of those will be worse at the other function than the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7/TZ10 is. :wink:

Post subject: Refrubished ZS3 on ebay?
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 pm 

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the great site! I have learned loads about this camera from here. What are people's thoughts on this deal?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PANASONIC-LUMIX-DMC-ZS3-TZ7-BLK-DIGITAL-CAMERA-8GB-6B-/110533362296?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item19bc4d4278

It is refurbished. What do you think about that? Also check the seller if anyone is familiar. Their rating appears stellar plus it does come with return policy.

I like the extra battery and card included too. It is 30 bucks less without.

thanks for your advice,

Will in Maine, USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will, welcome on-board!

I'd encourage you to buy from one of our partner stores - check this page:

http://www.cameralabs.com/buyers_guide/ ... eras.shtml

PS - could you swap your avatar for one that's less wide - it's breaking our frame and guidelines - please see the rules thread in the general section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:52 pm 

Thanks Gordon,

Sorry for the wideness. My head is thinner than my logo!

I have investigated Amazon affiliates and not found a better deal than eBay but will keep looking. I generally like eBay better because the listings and the ratings give much greater detail than Amazon, you can use PayPal, and it improves your own rating with each purchase.

I do want to support your great work here though.

Anyway, this looks like a great camera and the latest release of it has features that I really don't need like GPS.

I was drawn to this camera after seeing an amazing quality Youtube vid it had taken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fARyLDGbE5s&feature=PlayList&p=D7E72AB93FD02C75&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=8

The sound is incredible as well. This seems to be a great improvement over the model before this one.

Many thanks,

Will, Maine, USA (sort of nowhere)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next