Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:25 pm 
Gotcha! Hope you have an A/C unit under all that fur!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:32 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
gianluk - as stated in the review, if you select Motion JPEG mode, the maximum length is when the file reaches 2GB. If you're using AVCHD though, Panasonic says you can keep filming until you run out of memory. Sadly I was unable to really test this as I had nothing bigger than a 2GB card to use with the camera - like others, I'd like to see what happens if you feed it a 16 or 32GB card!

As noted in the review, there's also a 15 minute clip limit for European models due to tax reasons - ie, any longer and its classed as a camcorder.

Hello. The reviews on this site are really great with lots of good details. Though I'm curious if anyone knows is there something that differentiates the TZ7/ZS3 when it comes to if the model has that 15 minute video clip limit (European model) or if it has no limit (US model).

Is it something as simple as models named "TZ7" all have the limit, but "ZS3" models all do not, or something similar?

I'm just trying to gather the facts before possibly buying, as the store I went to sells it as a ZS3 but told me there is the limit on video recording length (which I knew was on Euro models, but I'm not in Europe), so just looking for some help clarifying since I couldn't find the info online.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Good question - will all TZ3 / ZS3 owners please comment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:08 am 

Gordon Laing wrote:
Good question - will all TZ3 / ZS3 owners please comment!

Hi Gordon, well in the past the video-camera paid in Italy 35% tax and the camera 20% so this should explain in the sense that if you limit at 15 minutes you can't consider the camera as a video-camera but......
all this in the past not now (I checked with my photo-shop) . So this still remain a mystery .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:42 am 
Hi everyone. Thanks Gordon for your excellent reviews.

Just wanted to ask a quick question. I'll soon be purchasing this camera and I was wondering whether a Kingston 32gb class 4 memory card would be ok for shooting HD video? I'll most likely be using the AVCHD mode. Just wanted to check as I'll be using this camera to film gigs and wanted a high capacity memory card so I won't have to mess about changing them round too much but was worried whether it was too slow, can't seem to find any class 6 32gb cards?

Also can anyone tell me how much recording time I'd get with a 32gb card? I know each video is limited to 15 minutes but how much memory does a 15 minute video take up?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Few Shots
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 pm 

Bikerag,

Just was wondering if you got your Panasonic rebate yet (camera case and 4gb SD card)? I ask because mine arrived a few days ago and when I opened up the envelope I found that Panasonic sent out a camera case that is too small for the ZS3!

I called the rebate folks and I was told promptly OoooooooooPs, apparently that I'm not the only one that received the wrong case. they took my info and I'm supposed to call the rebate folks again this Monday to see what is going on....................

What a runaround from day one with these rabates (just like all other from other companies)

John

bikerag wrote:
Took a few shots with the zs3 today but my efforts were cut short due to my neighbors house catching fire.. Couldnt find that scenario on the scene dial but took a few shots anyway.

Few Random pics Here
http://www.cameraduel.com/coppermine/thumbnails.php?album=6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 pm 
Hey, I just got my case in the mail also. Regardless of it was too small it went right in the garbage. I found a perfect semi-hard case that fits it perfect - cost $7.00 shipped on ebay. Liked it so much I got another for my tz5. Always good to have an extra 4 GB SD card though..

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:54 pm 
Thanks for the good review Gordon, You and other reviewers have mentioned that it also comes in Chocolate Brown, but I cant seem to find anybody selling them in that color. (I live in Los Angeles) I've see pictures of them in that color on-line. They look great, sort of like the old leather covered cameras of the art deco era.

Humorously, when I emailed Panasonic with the same question, they said they never made them in brown?!?!. So whats up with that?

I especially liked your review comparing the ZS3 with the new Canon, as I (and every one else) had been considering purchasing one or the other.
I'm a real fan of manual controls, but if the goal is getting the best quality image, and the fully automatic camera takes the best pictures, then what's the benefit of manual controls ? (answer me that one Canon)

Gordon, if you take requests: Review the Ricoh CX1 (dynamic range) vs ZS3, are the handling characteristics and image quality of the Ricoh better than the ZS3?

As you can tell I'm a bit particular about my next camera purchase as I don't buy a new camera very often. You'll get a kick out of this, but I am still using my old Sony that uses FLOPPY DISKS, and has LESS than one megapixel!

When you finally stop laughing... I'd love to get your feed back on the above issues. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi PP, welcome on-board...

I remember reviewing those Sony Mavicas! Very popular in schools apparently because there was no memory card to nick. But yes, they were basically battery-operated floppy disk drives with a built-in lens and sensor!

The brown TZ7 / ZS3 doesn't appear to be on sale in the USA. It may be a European model only. Sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 pm 
Hi PP/Gordon,
The brown version is also available in Japan, although we dont seem to get the red or blue versions.
Just Black/Silver/Brown.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:18 am 
Does anyone one know if when you are shooting in 3/2, are you also viewing 3/2 on the LCD screen?

I've asked this question about some Canons, and found out that they have a guide you can set on the LCD view. It grays out the top and bottom of the 4/3 LCD so that you can frame your shot without guessing what will be cropped out when you print a 4x6 photo.

4/3 prints are too expensive here, and not to many places do it. It's one of my pet peeves.

I read some specs somewhere that said the LCD actually IS 3/2. But it doesn't look like it in pictures, and Gordon didn't think so either.

I have a deposit on one and they say it should be about a week. I'm a little sceptical. But I've never actually held one, as NO ONE has them in stock. I've researched this for a while and feel MOSTLY comfortable buying it without playing around with it first.

It would be GREAT if some of you that already have one could give me some info on that.

Thanks,
Gin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Gin, one of the owners here should confirm, but as I recall, when you set the aspect ratio to 3:2 or 16:9, it simply shows black bars above and below the frame on the screen - so what you see IS what you'll capture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:29 pm 
GOOD NEWS TO ME, THANKS GORDON!

Confirmation from a ZS3 owner would be great.

Gin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:06 pm 
Black Bars confirmed Gordon..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:13 pm 
Thanks, bikerag and Gordon. I had better get this camera soon. Now I'm dreaming about it. Dreamed that there was NO 2/3 shooting at all. Sad dream. I was glad to wake up to this new post.

I am not a risk taker, but I am going to go ahead an buy this thing sight-unseen. I have seen almost only great reviews from pros and casual users. I don't want to wait around for them to come in stock in town.

There seem to be some coming available online. Are there any big worries in buying online from an unfamiliar company?

Gin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next