Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: FZ28 or G1?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:10 am 
Following Gordon's excellent reviews of the FZ28 and more recently the G1 and given Gordon's comments concerning the bridge cameras starting to match the image quality of the entry level DSLR'S certainly at the low ISO settings, I wonder what everyones views are on the pros and cons of the FZ28 v the G1.

My initial thoughts would be the FZ28 is virtually half the cost of the G1 and the FZ28 has many of the same automatic IA settings etc.

I just wonder if Gordon can advise if the image quality is far superior using the G1 when compared with the FZ28 or at least enough to justify paying twice as much and if anyone has purchased both cameras and can offer a fair comparison.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:33 pm 
here is Gordon's insight...

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml

For the sake of being a broken record, I'd say FZ28. I've seriously considered dSLRs but they not as flexible or fun.

If you are interested in a dSLR, I'd say Nikon D40. (Don't like front body wheel controls on G1)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Neil, further to randomagain's post about weighing up DSLRs against compacts, it boils down to comparing the features and seeing which suits you the best. The following is taken from our earlier G1 preview.

There are a number of similarities: both cameras come with stabilised optics, have full manual control, composition with either electronic viewfinders or screens, support for RAW recording and Panasonic’s latest Intelligent Auto mode.

In its favour, the FZ28 obviously comes with a huge 18x optical zoom lens with optical stabilisation, equivalent to 27-486mm. So that starts with roughly the same wide angle coverage as the G1’s first kit zoom, but then gets even closer than the optional telephoto zoom without having to swap lenses and risk dust entering the body. The FZ28 also features movie recording facilities, including an HD mode which captures video at 1280x720 pixels. The FZ28 is additionally smaller at 118x75x89mm and lighter at 370g (without battery, but including lens).

In its favour, the G1 has two extra Megapixels and a considerably bigger sensor, which allows far better performance in low light at higher sensitivities. It has a bigger and more detailed screen which flips to any angle, and an electronic viewfinder that’s larger and much more detailed too. The kit zoom may only be a 3.2x model, but you can remove it and fit other models. The G1 also has a flash hotshoe and HDMI output.

So with its bigger sensor, the G1 gets the quality vote (at higher sensitivities anyway), and the ability to switch lenses also gives it great flexibility. But the FZ28’s 18x zoom already arguably covers virtually every situation, there’s a movie mode, and the camera is smaller, lighter, and comfortably cheaper.

Also note the new GH1, launched todays which adds movie recording to the G1... See our preview on the front page!