Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:17 pm 
I just bought the Panasonic DMC FX28. I had a Canon Powershot before and moved up to this camera. I am a bit of a photo enthuasiast, used a manual Minolta slr for a lot of years and loved it (still use it on occasion).

I went through the very thorough review that Gordon posted on CameraLabs.com on the Panasonic. Thank you for such a thorough review. I am still on the fence about keeping this camera. The manual is a lot easier to read than the Canon's, so I really appreciate that.

My question is - I like to take macro shots, I have read the Panasonic manual twice (I even had my husband read it) yet neither one of us can figure out exactly how to do a "true" macro shot of an inside of a flower.

I am at the point that if this camera does not have this capability then I am ready to return this camera and get a different one (like the Nikon D60 - which was my first choice anyway).

Can anyone help me out and relieve my frustration?

Post subject: DMC-FX28 Macro operation
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:41 am 
New2Foto I am not sure what you mean by "true macro"

With this camera it is very easy to take flower shots using the iA mode. This mode adjusts all parameters down to 1cm from the lense AND auto focus occurs without resorting to the exposure button.

If some manual intervention is require move the REC mode switch to the Macro position. Here there is manual control of aperture and exposure trim. There are also the preset selections. All control is via the joystick with on screen confirmation. In this mode auto focus only operates when the exposure button is pressed to the first step.

Personally I get my flower shots well in the iA mode with a minimum of fuss. I like this camera very much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 am 

Hi folks,

Not being familiar with the FX28 I'm unable to pass comment but I would just like to chip in and wish you both a warm welcome to the CameraLabs forum. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:16 am 
Thanks Bob. Appreciate you welcome. The FZ28 relatively new product at a very reasonable cost. Costing me A$550 including 8Gb of Memory , spare battery, mini tripod and bag. I really appreciate the Lieca lens. Whilst not being a professional I understand photography and the fundamental techniques. I use the HD video capability of the FZ28 for creating travel and family movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:21 am 
Note The camera was originally quoted as FX28 mine is a FZ28 very similar I believe or is there some confusion here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:35 pm 
Hi Dav and Bob,
I am the person (new2photo) who posted the comments about the Panasonic FX28 which was/is really the FZ28. (I am truly new to photo!). In any case, I have had a hard time logging in so I altered my id a bit and am starting out fresh.

I do have the Panasonic FZ28 and my earlier comments about taking "true macro" shots were that I want to take truly close up pictures of the inside of flowers as opposed to taking close pictures and then enlarging them up to make them look "macro-ed" (which is what some people I have talked to suggested that is the way to obtain my objective). I am guessing they don't really understand what it is I am trying to do.

I have since stumbled on how to do it but for some reason I am having a challenge taking my macro shots and having the lens focus the object of my photos. I switch to the flower mode, push the AF(flower)Focus button, and sometimes it works and focuses the inside and other times I can't get it to focus no matter how close or far away the lens is. So, what am I not getting about this function that I know should be so easy to do every time????

P.S. sorry it has taken so long to tell you I appreciate your response!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:37 pm 
Hi Dav,
In reading your first post, I am realizing that you are saying that to take a macro shot, I need to be in iA mode, not the flower mode?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:02 pm 

You can use the iA mode or the flower mode, try both to see which works best.

As for the focus try using the manual focus, being that close to your subject may yield better results.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:11 pm 
Rui Costa - have you tried both? and if so, is there a difference in the quality of the picture? As for trying with the manual focus, what settings should I try?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:31 pm 

Sorry I dont do much macro att all. But I have played around with it a bit.
I just realized MF does not work in iA mode.
I took this photo with flower mode, set to objects and MF2 using a tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:46 pm 
Good Shot Rui.
Newuser. It is just possible that your camera has a problem. It may need checking or comparing against another. I have not experinced your problem. I have found iA mode reliable and cannot complian about the result. Of course in iA mode you have to accept the auto settings for exposure etc. But focus is just focus which ever mode.
Remember in Macro mode that the depth of focus is small ie the focus point is sharp but detail defocuses with a very small change of distance. It maybe in Rui's example that blurring at the outer edges is due to the lens.

Rui raised a good point. He used a tripod. In Macro it is quite easy to get a blurred result with camera movement. iA mode can help in that camera movement is compensated with auto anti-shake/stabiliser in operation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:15 pm 
I have a great flower example of an iA shot without a tripod but as yet have not discovered how to upload to this forum. I can find no file upload as in other forums, looks like a url has to be achieved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:47 am 
To post images, check out this thread:

http://www.cameralabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3315

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:57 am 
Thanks Armanius. I guessed a host was necessary and have been look at the offerings. I think Picasa3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:37 am 
I think I have it now. Here is my link: http://picasaweb.google.com/davmax60/AustralianFlowers#

For newuser: Please note the only "inside flower" picture taken this morning. It is of a Petunia with the camera lens pressed against the outside petals to get about 1cm from the stamen. The camera setting is Macro/Flowers and auto stabilisation is operational on this setting. The focus is centred. No Tripod. Had no problem with focusing.
Light comes from the sun shining through the right of the flower.

All other flower shots are iA mode.