Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:43 pm 
Hello, I need some advice please.

I just purchased a Panasonic DMC-TZ5 for our vacations and a DMC-FS5 for my wife when she wants to have a camera with her.

I need to by memory cards for both these camera but am confused as to which SPEED CLASS to get. Since the TZ5 shoots HD video, I am thinking I need a class 6 card, or is a class 6 to much meaning would a class 4 work 4 just was well but dont know about the FS5.

If anyone is using either of these cameras, what cards are you finding work good for handling the speed potential of the cameras?

I don´t want to over buy but also don´t want a card that will slow the actual performance of the cameras.

Any thoughts please ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:03 pm 
Hi Baq,

If you shoot HD video you will need a class 6 card.
I general you wont feel any speed difference in the camera itself since the reader and electronics are most likely to be slower then card itself.
The price difference in Europe is next to zero between a class 4 and 6 one.

1 thing that I would recommend is getting a card from a reputable dealer and a real brand name card.
I have seen a couple of fakes and no brand cards go bad.
Not very amusing when you go on holiday and all your photos are gone.
The best deals you can get on 8GB cards nowadays.

And since I've seen a couple of cards gone bad on other people I always take my laptop with me and transfer the photos on my laptop every single day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:20 am 
THANKS LUKE,

I will probably get SANDISC or KINGSTON, 4 gig cards so I don´ end up with all the photos on one card in the event of a card failure.

I am thinking for my wife´s PANASONIC FS5, a class 4 card will be fast enough.

I WISH the camera manufacturers would put some type of card speed recommendation for each specific model in the box so the buyer doesn´t have to guess which class card works best with each specific model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:37 pm 
Type 4 states min speed is 2MB/s
Type 6 states, min speed is 6MB/s
NEW Class 6, min speed 8-10/+Mb/s (maybe compatibility issue as new)

panasonic do state above 10MB/s speed