Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:31 am 
Hi there, I'm deciding between the LX3 and the TZ5, but I have some lingering questions about them both. Here goes:

1) When will I be able to find the LX3 in any brick and mortar stores near me. I've called all over, and nobody carries it. I even called Panasonic Customer Service and they confirmed that it was not in any stores in all of San Diego. Unfortunately, the rep had no clue as to when it would be available in stores, as it was up to the stores to order it or not. This is very annoying, because I've read the steller reviews here and elsewhere on the camera, but I'm not able to go look at it in person. I cannot buy a camera that I haven't personally held in my hands. And speaking of hands, mine are big, and one of the cons in the reviews has been that the dials, knobs, and buttons on the LX3's body are small, and fiddly--and that men with large hands might want to pass on the camera for that reason. (I should also say that I have no interest in buying a camera online.)

2) Why do both the TZ5 and the LX3 have off-center LCD screens? The TZ5's is shifted way to the left, and the LX3's is shifted way to the right. It's very annoying. Is there some technical reason why they're shifted the way they are? Couldn't they have made the left and right margins equal? How hard would that have been? I'm assuming there's a technical reason, but the Panasonic rep couldn't tell me, and I'm hoping one of you here knows. I'm actually really surprised none of the reviews I read of either camera mentioned it, because aesthetically it really bugs.

3) For those of you who have the LX3, is it a drag that you can't zoom while filming?

4) For those of you who have the TZ5, how has it performed for you in low-light indoor social snapping situations? In terms of image quality, length of time for focusing, etc.?

Thanks!

Jack Bauer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:40 am 
I have been using LX3 for a while and i don't fill that the lcd shift to the right is a problem. It is not a shift anyway, it just the border of the lcd is not centered. Actually, I even don't know it until I read your post and check my camera he he he.

The buttons are small yes, but it is about right because the camera itself is considered small (compared to other advanced compact camera).

For big fingers then it will be a little bit adjustment time. You definitely need to try it at store to see if you like it or not.

For the movie I don't really think that the zoom is limiting. Maybe because I am more interested on taking picture instead of taking videos.
I also think it is hard to zoom in constant speed.

So I hope you can try it soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:53 pm 
Wow, it's been a week and a half and only one reply? My thanks to Enche Zein, but I was really hoping for some more answers to my questions from others.

Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:08 pm 
Dear former CTU agent:

I don't own a LX3, but I've used my dad's Leica Dlux3, which is the LX2. I do own a TZ5. I've been considering whether or not to get a new camera, and I have been considering getting the LX3, Canon G10 or a small entry level DSLR such as the Olympus E-420.

Let me see if I can answer your questions.

(1) The body of the LX3 is tad bit bigger than the TZ5. But the LX3 has more buttons and dials, because it offers manual control. So yes, the buttons are a bit small given the space constraints in the back of the LX3 (and the TZ5). But if you want a compact camera, that's the price you pay. The alternative is to have smaller LCD screen, and that would be a worse alternative. I have medium sized hands, and do find it slightly difficult to hold most compact cameras securely. If you want a enthusiast compact that fits the hand better, check out the Canon G10 or the super zooms like the Canon SX10. On the other hand, these more ergonimical cameras are not as portable as the TZ5 or LX3.

(2) From a logical standpoint, the LCD screens are probably off center because the bodies of the cameras are so small. If you center a large LCD (and both cameras have large very nice high resolution LCD's), you are going to be left with two little strips of space on the back of the camera. It would be more difficult to place controls on the back with two small spaces (one on each side of the LCD), as opposed to one larger space. And the little buttons that you don't like, would likely be even smaller.

(3) As far as zoom for the LX3 is concerned, people can answer your question, but their answer will not matter. People's needs and intended use for their cameras may differ from yours. When I used my dad's Dlux3 with a 4x zoom, I did not miss the 10x zoom in the TZ5. On the other hand, I was not in a situation where I needed 10x zoom. So my opinions about the lack of telephoto power could have been different depending on the photographical situation I found myself in. So you just need to ask yourself what you want to do with the camera. Obviously, if you want to shoot wildlife in Africa, the 2.5x zoom in the LX3 will be lacking.

(4) The performance of the TZ5 for social situations has not been bad at all. The camera starts up quickly, you can snap lots of photos without much delay in between shots. The flash is pretty powerful (for a compact), but it can sometimes cast shadows that I don't care for. The colors are also a bit less natural when using the flash. So unless it's really dark, I turn the flash off. The camera will increase the ISO, and the noise increases significantly at anything above 200. But if you are not going to be printing large photos, the noise level at 400 is still doable for posting photos on Flickr. One great advantage the TZ5 has for social settings is the ability to zoom while shooting videos. The LX3 also has a 720p HD video like the TZ5, but you can't zoom. Bear in mind that the zooming makes the video loose focus for a second or so.

Hopefully that will answer some of your questions. Let me know if you have other questions.

Keep on the good work Mr. Bauer, and watch your back. Trust no one, especially that FBI Special Agent Walker. I bet she's one of the mole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 pm 
Thanks Armanius for the terrific feedback. I appreciate it!

The only question of mine you misunderstood was #2. If you go and look up the photos of the backs of these two cameras, you'll see that the LCD screen is not centered underneath the plastic covering. It's off-center to the left on the TZ5 and off-center to the right on the LX3. In both cases, it's annoying to me, offensive to my photographic eye, figuratively speaking.

I'm glad to hear you've had good success with TZ5 social snapping. But at this point, with the TZ6 and TZ7 so close to launch, I'm gonna wait to see what improvements/new features have been made/added to the TZ7. Besides that, I'm kinda busy right now saving the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans and Sengalans.

Jack Bauer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:23 am 
I am very curious to see what Panasonic does with the new TZ series camera. Hopefully, it will have manual controls and at least a F/2.8 lens at its shortest focal length. It would be great if it had F/2.0 lens. But I doubt Panasonic will encroach into the LX' territory by adding a super fast lens to the TZ series. I don't even think Panny will add manual controls.

BTW, when is the new TZ series supposed to be launched? Any info or link to that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:27 am 
Oh, I get it about it being off-centered. I have no idea why. Now that you mentioned it, it will probably annoy me!

FYI, I think the chief of staff guy in the president's cabinet is a bad guy. So watch your back Jack, if you ever come across him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:58 pm 
Armanius wrote:
Oh, I get it about it being off-centered. I have no idea why. Now that you mentioned it, it will probably annoy me!

Oops...sorry. Didn't mean to plant that bug in your head. :oops: I forgot you actually owned a TZ5.

Armanius wrote:
FYI, I think the chief of staff guy in the president's cabinet is a bad guy. So watch your back Jack, if you ever come across him.

Good call. I'll torture a confession out of him just to be sure, though.

Jack Bauer

ps~I haven't heard a release date or information on the features of the next gen TZs. But it was exactly (within a few days) one year ago that they announced the TZ4 and TZ5. So I would expect the TZ6 and TZ7 will be announced between now and PMA in March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:13 pm 
Actually, the TZ6 and TZ7 were just announced. Check out the thread on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:29 am 
Armanius wrote:
Actually, the TZ6 and TZ7 were just announced. Check out the thread on it.

Yup, thanks, saw that. On its face, it looks like TZ7 is a better camera than the TZ5. But all that could change if we find out after reviews have been conducted that the image quality of the TZ7 is not as good as that of its predecessor.

Regarding my pet peeve, they didn't fix it. The LCD is still off-center under the plastic cover, just shifted to the right this time instead of to the left. I don't know what they're thinking--it's so glaringly aesthetically displeasing.

Jack Bauer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm 
Yes, I noticed that they didn't listen to you and the screen is still off center. Now that you've got me wondering why they do that, I just have to know! Maybe if you get a hold of a Panasonic designer, you can "make" him tell you why they did it that way! :) The specs of the new camera look nice. Wider screen, longer zoom, more megapixels, better video. But I don't recall seeing anything about the apperture of the lens. Or whether or not, there are manual controls.