Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: DMC-FZ28 vs DMC-FZ50
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:40 pm 
I'm trying to decide between these two Panasonics and can't find a single comment on the web that compares them. They both have the specs I'm most interested in as a DSLR substitute: 10MP, superzoom, RAW format, and decent speed.

Am I right in thinking the FZ50 has a larger lens and CCD? Is there a notable difference in sharpness at 100%? Any other factors that make the FZ50 a better bet?

Gordon, you've reviewed them both. What can you tell me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi calemery, welcome to the cameralabs forums!

The full specs of each camera are discussed in the reviews here. so I won't go over them again here, although yes, the FZ50's CCD is bigger at 1/1.8in to the 1/2.33in of the FZ28, but there's several years between them, so be sure to compare actual samples at different ISOs.

I'd say the choice really boils down to which feature set and handling you prefer - for example, the manual zoom ring, flip out screen and flash hotshoe on the FZ50 versus the longer and wider zoom of the FZ28 plus its HD movies, newer gadgets etc.

The FZ50 may be quite hard to find on sale these days though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:15 pm 
Thanks Gordon.

I finally got down to comparing the 100% image samples and the FZ50 wins hands down. And they are available for $400-450 online.

Problem is, my search hasn't been very methodical. I've just discovered the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens, which satisfies my need for simplicity and, of course, eliminates basically all the image noise problems of the Panasonics (of all compacts, for that matter).

So my current quandary is: compact with some image problems at full resolution for $450, or Nikon D60 or D80 package with gorgeous images for $850-$1000. I think I'm headed for the bigger bucks, but it would be interesting to hear from FZ28 or FZ50 users about their frustrations, or lack thereof, with the Panasonic images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

It's a good comparison to make, and of course the DSLRs will be quicker to respond and mcuh better in low light. But neither of the DSLRs you're looking at can compose with their screen or record movies. And they're bigger, heavier and pricier. So it's really a personal choice to weigh up!

You may find this article useful:

http://www.cameralabs.com/features/DSLR ... DSLR.shtml