Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TZ5 CCD issue
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:27 pm 

first post here, great site.

was on vacation in Hawaii and flooded our only camera, a A720IS, while diving. We went to Costco and found the TZ5 for a pretty good price and it seems like a decent camera.

When unpacking it I saw this yellow sheet with a warning about the CCD:

"when bright objects are in the frame there will be red or magenta lines on the viewscreen emanating from the bright object. this is NOT a manufacturing defect but a artifact of CCD sensors. it will not capture in still shots but will be captured in video shots." - or something very close to that effect.

now i did not like that right off, but wondered how bad it can be. i did not have that issue on me 720is. well, it is pretty bad and is definitely captured in video.

did everyone that bought a tz5 get the same note? or is Panasonic trying to cover for a semi defective batch of CCD's? or did they have a technical issue they could not resolve before needing to ship the cameras?

i do not think this is normal for CCD's. can someone comment on that as well?

needless to say the camera went back to Costco. it is a shame as an underwater housing exists for it as well.

thx!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:38 pm 

Hello Helmut, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
The "streaking" of images is due to the sensor-type being a CCD (charge-coupled-device) as opposed to CMOS sensors. So this is not a defective batch but there by design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:57 pm 

Thx! interesting, but i never noticed that on my 720is.