Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: LUMIX FZ50 alternative?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:16 pm 
I have bought the LUMIX FZ50 on the weekend, and after that I discovered this great site.

My brief experiments pretty much match what is being said about the camera: A lot of noise and water colour effect at higher sensitivities. That is a bit of a pity.

I paid 350 GBP (665 USD) for it on the Highstreet which I thought was ok. I have the opportunity to return it to the shop, and would like to ask whether there is any serious alternative I should consider.

Initially, I had the Canon 400D in mind, but I would have had to fork out almost 700 GBP for the camera and a good wide range zoom lens. So, I ended up getting the LUMIX FZ50...

I just think it's worth for me to spend 350 - 400 Pounds instead of 700. I'm just not quite happy with the image quality at high sensitivity. Is there anything better out there at a similar price?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:21 am 
Site Admin

Hi Spirelli, thanks for your message and welcome to Cameralabs. I'm pleased you are finding the reviews useful.

Yes, the FZ50 has quite high noise, especially above 200 ISO. If you regularly shoot above 200 ISO and either make big prints or enjoy viewing on-screen at 100%, then you may be disappointed.

Similar cameras at a similar price point include the Fujifilm S9500 or S9600 (S9000 or S9100 is the US), but again they don't perform great at very high sensitivities. This is a problem with most compacts and all-in-ones because their sensors have a relatively small surface area.

If you want low noise at high sensitivities, then you need a DSLR, but you don't necessarily need to go for a brand new model. Older DSLRs are much cheaper and still offer great low noise performance. One of the best deals is the Nikon D50 - see our review here and check out the typical prices at the bottom: www.cameralabs.com/reviews/NikonD50/

It's pretty good value for what you're getting, although you would need to spend more on a lens with a bigger range. You may find the basic 3x kit lens more flexible than you think though...

Hope that helps!

Gordon