Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:30 am 
In the review it was said the FZ28 closes the aperture to keep the shutter under 1/500. But what about in conditions where the shutter is well under that with larger apertures? Say you're shooting late in the afternoon at a 300mm focal length and your subject is moving so you want a reasonably quick shutter. Will the FZ28 use a max f/3.5 to give you a 1/200 or will it close up to f/5 and slow down to 1/100? What are the FZ28's preferences for choosing which aperture?

I'm looking for camera for the family to use. They will just keep it in AUTO or iA, so I want to make sure this won't result in a lot of blurred images.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:49 pm 
According to the user manual, the FZ28 sets the aperture and shutter speed as follows in Program mode:

Up to 1/60sec, maximum aperture (F2.8 - F4.4 depending on zoom position)
1/60sec - 1/125sec, F4 - F4.4
1/25sec - 1/500sec, F5.6
1/500sec & faster, F8

I hope this answers your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:57 pm 
Perfect.

Hum... not really great to hear though. So say you're at the beach and the camera is in AUTO. The kids are running around just before sunset and you go to take a few pics. You haven't touched the zoom. The lens COULD open to f2.8 and get a fast 1/120 exposure, but the camera tells it to pick f4.0 instead, resulting in a 1/60 exposure and a couple blurry kids.

OR, say you're at a picnic on a sunny day and want to get some portraits. It would be nice to have the background out of focus. You zoom way out. Since its sunny, the exposure is nearly 1/2000. But rather than keep the lens open, the camera closes it to f8, reduces the exposure and kills the nice depth of field.... oh, and the image isn't very sharp now either, hair is all smeary and such.

Would shooting the first scene in SPORTS keep the shutter up without boosting ISO and would shooting second in PORTRAIT keep the lens open?

Certainly using A/S priority would be the ultimate fix, but I'm wanting to help improve the images for family members who will only use the camera in AUTO or one of program scenes on the dial.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:33 pm 
The Sports and Portrait scene modes may help, but I don't have any data to confirm this.

Regarding Normal Sports mode, the manual says "Controls the ISO sensitivity while stopping movement with a high shutter speed." There's no mention of aperture sizes.

Under Normal Portrait mode, it says "Shades the background and photographs skin colour beautifully." Again, no mention of aperture sizes.

There are Creative Sports and Creative Portrait modes where the shutter speed and aperture size can be changed respectively, but these are manual adjustments which is not what you're wanting.

My experience with the aperture range is that photos are fine up to F6.3. Its only F7.1 and F8 where the quality dips a bit - and its still not that bad!