Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: super zoom or dslr
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:02 pm 
I take pictures of minor hockey in my area on a volunteer basis. I own a fz 20, and bought it because of its fast 2.8 lens and zoom range.However, where I take the pics, there is not enough light to shoot with an iso of 100 so I boost it to 200 and the pics are not very sharp and are noisy. I need to have a shutter speed of at least 120 to freeze action and even on manual or shutter priority I have to try to fix the pics with programs on my computer. My question is--Most dslr camers come with so-so lenses starting at 3.5 or smaller, but with a larger processor and the ability to shoot at 1600 iso, would my pics come out clearer.
In other words, which would be better-
panasonic z20 @f2.8 iso 200 at 100 shutter speed or
nikon d80 (for example) at f4 iso 1600 at 125 shutter speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Hi sportsguy, welcome to the cameralabs forum.

If the image quality was the same on both cameras, then you'd go for the one with the brighter lens, but since most compacts / superzooms have considerably smaller sensors than DSLRs, their quality greatly suffers even with small boosts in sensitivity. You can see this by checking out some of the high ISO results pages from our reviews.

So even though the DSLR would need a higher ISO wth a slower lens compared to your FZ20, the quality would still be better. Most decent DSLRs at 800 ISO should match a compact at 200 ISO. And of course you could always buy an f2.8 lens for your DSLR now or in the future...

You'll also find a DSLR will respond to taking the picture much faster, along with offering better continuous shooting and focus tracking - so overall a DSLR is far better suited to sports photography.

By the way, we'd love to see some of the sports shots taken with your FZ20 in this forum... either in the Panasonic or the sports sections...