Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: E-410 vs. E-510
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:13 pm 
hello everybody, i'm about to purchase my first DSLR and so far i seperated the E-410 and the E-510 from all other favourites in my price range. the 14-42 mm kits are the ones i'm focused on.

the question is, if and in which aspects is the E-510 superiour?

the big point seems to be the image stabilization that the E-410 lacks. but is it really such an advantage? the scenes i'm interested in are mostly people or close to mid range, i.e. no tele-mega-zoom or anything. my comprehension is that in these cases a short exposure makes an image stabilization unnecessary, doesn't it? "pro"-photographer friend of mine says he does neither use nor need IS.
can anyone give me a hint in this issue?

the next thing is the design. i really dig the E-410's oldschool look, though i got relatively big but still "fine" hands.

in what other facets is the E-510 "better" or worth extra cash? as i said i'm a considerable newbie in non-point-and-shoot photography but i love taking pictures and i'm at will to really get into it.

p.s.: gordon, your site is wicked! only very few sites on the web deliver such in-depth and comprehensional reports and reviews! cameralabs.com helped me a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 pm 
Hi MB,

I'm having the same 'problem' as you, but really in the end it's your own decision.

Both camera's have the same sensor, so IQ wise they are alike. The 510 offers a few extra settings which the 410 doesn't have, but the biggest differences are the size vs IS.

I have small hands, the 410 fits my well, if you have big hands I think the 410 is to small for you. But you just have to feel both for yourself, none can suggest which is better for your hands.

About the IS, it's a great feature and is handy even with the 14-42mm lens at the max. focal lenght. When using a 40-150mm e.a. it's even more a plus. It also gives you the opportunity to buy the old 40-150mm which is a bit heavier and bigger and shoot pics with a lower shutterspeed because of the IS.

So, basicly: a.t.m. my pick is the E-510 with the 14-42mm kit and thinking about the new or old 40-150mm (which you're going to use even when shooting people) I'm going to see them again wednesday or next saterday and make my final descission.

(Hope this is a little helpfull)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi guys, yep, it really boils down to whether you want built-in Image Stabilisation, or the smallest DSLR around. I would definitely recommend picking up both in person to see which fits your hands better. The E-410 is very small and some may not like its lack of grip. Others may love the design.

Either way though, the twin lens kit for both models is great value, so I'd recommend going for that package. Just make sure you're getting the latest versions of the kit lenses as some bundles have the older ones. You're looking for the 14-42mm ED and the 40-150mm ED lenses.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:00 pm 
I tried both and preferred the feel of the E-410 and decided to go for that. I never had IS before and don't spend a lot of time at the long end of things... Anyway, finally got the two lens kit (new model lenses) and am very pleased with it all. Together with a FL-36 flash, this is a compact and solid feeling set-up that is a pleasure to use. I looked at and tried some higher-end cameras but couldn't justify the price and didn't enjoy the bul and the weight, whereas this lot is something of a bargain. There is some pleasure in that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:11 am 
I had the E400 and chopped it in for the E510. I liked the size of the E400, but would have bought the E510 if it had been around at the time I was buying. The IS is very useful, and the grip makes the camera easier to hold without a strap lug digging in! It doesn't look quite as nice as the E400/410 though.