Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:17 pm 
Hi,

I just registered at this great forum after I was the site when looking for reviews of the Oly 410 and 510. I haven't made up my mind which is going to be my new DSLR (to replace my very old OM-1n and my 5060WZ) But in the search for the new body I was also looking for lenses to come with it, I very much liked the WZ possibility of my 5060 so when I find the money the 7-14mm is on top of my list (ah it's only 1600euro :) ) but besides that ofcourse I need a standard zoomlens and planning on buying also an extra telezoom (so stabilisation would be handy ;) )

Now of course both bodies come with a good kitlens the 14-42mm f3.5-5.6, but I'll be making a lot of photo's in low light situations of situations where you're not allow to flash. So I was wondering are the Oly 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 or the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 better lenses for these purposes? (and of course is the difference worth the 329 euro of the Sigma or 489 euro for the Oly, yes I know it's also a personal choice)

There's not much info about these lenses, and I've read some good but also a lot of not so good about the Sigma lenses (in general) about the Oly I can't find much info. Especially in comparisson with the kitlens in low-light situation (or situations where you are not allowed to use flash)

Oh and if some one has a new view on the whole E-410 / 510 prob. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to choose between both... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Dizzytal, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

I haven't personally tested the Olympus 14-54mm, but I hear many Olympus owners are very happy with it. I did try to Sigma 18-50mm briefly a while back and I recall it was nice and bright, but the focusing seemed slow and loud. I may be doing it a big dis-service though - it was a brief look a long time ago!

You may also want to check out the Olympus lens roadmap PDF which shows upcoming models. The 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 looks particularly promising and I expect it will be the high-end 'kit-lens' for the forthcoming Pro model.

As for the E-410 versus the E-510, lots of people would say get the E-510 for the stabilisation, but I really was very fond of the size and shape of the E-410. Certainly if you can live without stabilisation, I'd say the E-410 is well worth considering (and Panasonic / Leica have promised a stabilised 14-150mm in the near future, although it would probably physically dwarf the E-410!)

Gordon

Post subject: OM-1n
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:46 pm 

Wow, thought I was doing well to still have my OM-2. I'm afraid I switched camps to Canon when I upgraded last year but in case you haven't found them http://www.photozone.de/ has reviews of the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 here and the Sigma AF 18-50mm f/2.8 DC EX macro here.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:38 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
I haven't personally tested the Olympus 14-54mm,

I don't think that you're planning on testing this one, keeping in mind that they are comming with some nice lenses (the 12-60mm, 14-35mm and a 8-17mm?) in the (near) future?

Gordon Laing wrote:
I did try to Sigma 18-50mm briefly a while back

That basicly confirms what I'm hearing a lot, a lenses that will do, but don't stand out. So I think I'm not going for the Sigma, too much of a risk, to say so.

Bob Andersson wrote:
in case you haven't found them http://www.photozone.de/ has reviews

Thanks Bob, I already found those, but they are testing the Sigma with Nikon body, so as they also say themself, the results can/are different with other bodies, so again: I'm dropping the Sigma, too much of risk. (ofcourse I can always return the lens but I'm not willing to invest the time, considering I need some time to get used to the new DSLR)

Gordon Laing wrote:
You may also want to check out the Olympus lens roadmap PDF which shows upcoming models. The 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 looks particularly promising and I expect it will be the high-end 'kit-lens' for the forthcoming Pro model.

Thanks, already found a link you gave to another (older?) roadmap. I now noticed that the 12-60mm is also added to one of Hollands biggest photostores (but still with no price) So I have no idea about the price, but rumors differ from 600USD to 1100USD (which would be at least the same in euro's but probably a little more)

Gordon Laing wrote:
As for the E-410 versus the E-510, lots of people would say get the E-510 for the stabilisation, but I really was very fond of the size and shape of the E-410. Certainly if you can live without stabilisation, I'd say the E-410 is well worth considering (and Panasonic / Leica have promised a stabilised 14-150mm in the near future, although it would probably physically dwarf the E-410!)

Well to be honest the stabilisation would be one of the main reasons (or the main reason) to go for the E-510, also the battery which holds a bit more cappacity is nice ofcourse. But like you I realy like the size and shape of the E-410. More lenses, esp. telezoom, with build in stabilisation would be great (easier choice) For use with a normal 14-42 or 14-54 I don't realy need it (I think).

So I guess I have to take a good look at the times I'm planning on using a telezoom instead of normal zoom or widezoom.

I'm planning on making the decission in the next few weeks. I'm going on a trip to Egypt in October, so then I want to take it with me, considering I also need some time getting used to it... so any other input is welcome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:21 pm 

The Sigma lens is 18 mm, so 36 mm. I would not buy that one because of this. Just take the 14-42 now and add the 12-60 or the 11-22 later.

I would take the E510, because of the stabilization. The stabilized Leica will probably be more expensive then the the E510 + 14-42 + 40-150 together.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm 
Well thanks for the replies so far.

I'm going for the kit 14-42mm and a 40-150mm (50-200mm is too expensive, also is the 18-180) haven't decided which one; the 'new' f4-5.6 (duo kit) or the 'old' (and heavy) f3.5-4.5.

Difference will be around 50 euro (kit + old 40-150mm is a bit more expensive). Also the body that i'm going to choose will be an influance which lens it will be.

The 14-54mm didn't make it, because of the high-price and upcomming 12-60mm, so I'm saving that for that (or a real wide-zoom ;) )

So... the choices are narrowing down, and a lot depends on the body :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:51 pm 

Honestly Dizzytal, I wouldn't consider anything else but the 510.
Image stabilization is such an important feature to increase your IQ and avoid shake and/or noise.
Do yourself this favour - once you've had it (IS) you'll never ever want to do it again without :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:29 pm 
I agree the IS is well worth opting for, and the two modes in the E-510 cover both horizontal and vertical and just vertical (So if you want to pan at a sporting event, or track a race car etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:08 am 
My experience with the 14-42 (on E510) is that it's quite ordinary. It's very light weight, making it perfect for casual shots, like family album or vacation shots. However, I found 8x10" nature shots were of marginal clarity, at best. My 40-150 is quit nice, but both lenses (with the high f) are best in bright sunlight or with a flash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:35 pm 
TBH the default kit you get with the E-510 is meant to be "Ordinary" thats why its price competitive. And even at that its better then the lenses that come with the Canon 400D.

Thats why you can upgrade to the Pro ZUIKO lens range. When you feel ready!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 am 
Well since everybody is replying in this thread again:

I made my choice (still to buy, haven't got the time yet): the E-510 Duo Kit it is.

I had both in my hands, the E-410 is great to hold, but I can't pass up the IS for the size :( Also a few more shots with the battery is nice.

The price of the 14-54mm is to much a.t.m. especially with the 12-60mm comming up. The Sigma seems to be a bit less overall.

As for the new or old 40-150mm I decided on the new 40-150 ED, they both have pro's and con's but the overall picture with the new 40-150mm and 510 is a bit more what I like, also the difference in weight matters.

So new all I have to do is buy it, togetter with Pola and UV filters, some CF cards and spend some time before my holiday shooting pics with it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:56 pm 
Dizzy,

Good choice, in the Olympus value for money and all round performance is excellant. And when you are ready to step up go for the PRO LENSES.

You know what. I am getting pretty pissed off with all the peeps putting down the E-510. I mean not so long ago EVERYONE was putting down LIVE VIEW as a gimmick!!!! Now all the high end camera's like the Canon 40D are the must haves with this feature seen as a major coup and the others been seen as inferior (Sony A700) with out it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 pm 
Wonda Boy wrote:
Dizzy,

Good choice, in the Olympus value for money and all round performance is excellant. And when you are ready to step up go for the PRO LENSES.

You know what. I am getting pretty pissed off with all the peeps putting down the E-510. I mean not so long ago EVERYONE was putting down LIVE VIEW as a gimmick!!!! Now all the high end camera's like the Canon 40D are the must haves with this feature seen as a major coup and the others been seen as inferior (Sony A700) with out it.

Well to me there was no other option than a new Oly, I've always used one, and I was always statisfied with it. Some how I've never liked Canon (although there's no reason for it, but you have that sometimes) so the only option (in my book) was a Nikon. So I realy never doubt about the brand, only the model.

So making up my wish list, tomorrow an interview for a new job and if we can close the 'deal' I'm going to grand myself to buy/order one, directly after the interview.

High on the wishlist is a WZ (dreaming of 7-14, thinking of the 11-22), even more than a TZ, so because the 7-14mm is out of my league (pricewise) I'm hoping for the new budget WZ that's on the roadmap, otherwise I'm considering the 11-22 or 12-60. But maybe the price of the 11-22 will drop with the intro of the 12-60)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 pm 
I'm disappointed that the upcoming 12-60 doesn't have constant f2.8 throughout the range. Sigma has it on the 18-50 and Nikon has it on the 17-55. So what is my option for available light photography for 4/3 mount? I'm seriously getting into wedding photog, but need a fast 4/3 standard zoom. The Sigma has had mixed reviews, but 18 is not wide enough for my tastes (especially with the 2x crop factor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:06 pm 

Well cderaaf, what about the Zuiko digital ED 14-54mm 2.8-3.5? 3.5 is just 1/2 stop darker than 2.8 and otherwise this lens seems ok. Starting at 28mm film-equivalent wide-angle is also not bad.