Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:08 am 
Hi I just bought an Olympus ez 410 Digital SLR. Is it usual to have one or two pixels busted ? I noticed it after zooming in on some pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:46 am 
yes they are normal in all different kind of sensors like CCD, CMOS and live-MOS. Normally at the last stage of production of the electronic part of the camera they check for the death or hot pixels and they map them to the nearby pixels.

one of the unique features of Olympus is Pixel Mapping , run it in normal temperature and they will be gone. other brands than Olympus should be sent to the service stations so they charge and do it for you!
And remember that this should not be done unless you find disturbing and visible hot pixels in your photos!
Good luck,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:00 pm 
Thanks Merhad , I'll give Pixel Mapping a try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Hi AndyBhoy, let us know if this fixes the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:13 am 
Hi Gordon,

Well, I have done this on my E-300 couple of times with very good results.
Actually the story was like this when I started to SLR world!!! My first digital camera was Nikon Coolpix 885 that I bought from Switzerland that time. after using for about 1.5 year I saw 2 green visible pixels in my pictures :? then slowly by slowly they increased so I did a search and found that they are called hot pixel or dead pixel depend on their behavior!
unfortunately Nikon agent had not tools to fix this in Iran and then I learned that even if the fix it it's not replacing the whole CCD but just replacing them with nearby pixels.

During the search I saw that this is a big issue for many digital users. some are lucky and don't see any and some were like me. again I found that the only company that has this feature in camera is Olympus. I was really looking for something which does not depend the fix to the agent. So I fell in love with Olympus :) and since then I chose E300 though there were so many good and bad points about that.
My friend has a D80 and from the beginning he had one green pixel and still Nikon agent is not able to help him so I so happy to live with Olympus :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:58 pm 
I had my new E510 sent for servicing because of the many hot pixel (grey/blue/red) speck problem for anything < 8sec. Generally a picture with lens cap on for a 6 sec will show.
Pixel mapping will not fix issue. Only hotpixel removing software with pixel mapping feature can properly clean serious issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:12 pm 
for me it works very well :!: Though I didn't get what you mean exactly but you will find these kind of hot pixels on any sensor if you keep your shutter open long. There is a noise filter that if you keep it off you see all those hot pixels. With this option on your camera will take another shot after a long exposure shot and will find those hot pixels and so they will be removed on the final photo.