Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pls help!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:27 am 
Hello Everyone,

I'm new in this forum and specially in the world of cameras. I have now to find a nice camera to be able to take pictures at night clubs and i was wondering which one to buy.
I know some photographers who are using the olympus Evolt E-300 and it works pretty good. However if you please, anyone can advise me which is the best affordable price camera for night life.

Thank you in advance,

Sevag Baroudjian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:49 am 
E300 is a great camera and I will keep mine even after I get my E510. but if you need your gear to have a good performance in low light situation you better get the new E510 or E410. they both have a lower noise in higher ISO and are faster in auto focus in low light situation. you also have the image stabilizer on E510 which is a good feature also!

hope it helps,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:55 pm 

Hello bsevag, and welcome to the CameraLabs forum!

Mehrdad has already given the right answers. Let me just add a remark about IS: It helps to avoid camera-shake reducing the IQ and thus you can expose longer, what is very helpful in low-light conditions. BUT it doesn't help with motion blur. So if people in the night-club are moving you cannot reduce the shutter speed say beyond 1/60 sec without risking motion-blur :cry:
So only two thing will help if you're under low-light conditions and want to avoid motion-blur: High ISO (800 or even 1600) and/or a wide-aperture lens, like a f1.4 or f1.8 prime lens!
So you should be looking for a camera that has low noise at 800 or even 1600 ISO (see Gordon's tests). My favorite in this respect is the Nikon D80.

B.t.w.: Motion-blur is not neccessarily evil - it may even give your pictures a special atmosphere.

---------------
Abbreviations and explanations see here.

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:59 am 
Thank you for your quick answers.

I went to Hong Kong yesterday and asked, tried the E-410 and 510.
looks very interesting.
They showed me another camera canon 400 D and told me that this one can take 500 pictures according to the battery. But the olympus can only take 300 before the battery finishes. I realized all are approximately the same and i will get one soon.

Thank you and good luck :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:59 am 
I think they have not given you a reliable number! E410 can take 500 shots with live view disabled and E510 will take 650 shots again with live view disabled!
you can see a comparison in http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olymp ... ndex.shtml

regarding 400D I would say they features you may have with Olympus E410/510 can not be compared to 400D plus the quality of the kit lenses you get from Olympus.

Good luck,