Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympus INDEPENDENCE DAY
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:01 pm 
GIVE ME LIBERTY of the EP-1 OR GIVE ME DEATH of the EP-1 speculation & rumours!

I suggest a Phone & Fax campaign to the Olympus offices to let them fully understand the PASSION of their customers for the LATE E-1 replacement Camera.

Olympus needs to give us FIRM evidence of what will become the E-1 replacement, squash the rumours, and allow us to save money to aquire it before the date of release.

Send your local Olympus office a FAX on July 4th & then PHONE them the next day requesting a reply to US, their Vauled Customer.*

Can't afford long distance charges? Print out a letter & send it to the Sales or Complaints departments. Send Olympus Japan a Postcard of where in the world their Customers live & use their equipment.

Are you a member of a different photo forum? Post this idea there & ENCOURAGE all Olympians to respond to the call for INDEPENDACE from ignorance of when our next purchase will be & of what.

Want examples of People Power:
-How was the 1st Space Shuttle (OV-101) named?
-How was Classic Coke brought back?
-How was the TV show Jericho renewed? (with NUTS!)
Google them & see

So use a BIG pen & a LITTLE of your wallet & show Olympus, WE WANT INFORMATION. :twisted:

Thank You.

Peter James Neal

* eMail don't count because of auto-responders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:09 pm 

Hi Peter,

I don't get what your rant is about :?: :?: :?:
The E-1 has now been in the market for 4 years! You can buy a E510 or the E-410 now and use your old lenses! What was so fantastic with the E-1 that you cannot replace it with one of the newer models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Peter!

Thomas, Peter's referring to the recently leaked 'Olympus' document which details the full specs for their forthcoming and highly anticipated E-1 replacement. No-one knows if it was the real thing or a fake, but it's certainly generated a lot of excitement and further speculation. The sites which posted the document have also suddenly taken it down which would suggest there was something in it.

All I'll say is Olympus follows their owners comments very closely and have had an awfully long time to think about the successor to what is, lest we forget, the camera which actually launched the Four Thirds standard all those years ago! So most Olympus fans are expecting something pretty special.

We're expecting an official launch towards the end of the year, but the big question is whether this leak will see Olympus will bring this date forward - or at least disclose official details of the specs - which is what Peter's after.

In the meantime, the official information on the new model can be found in our news story from earlier this year:

http://www.cameralabs.com/analysis/Olym ... age3.shtml

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:14 pm 

Ah ok, the P-1!
That's something similar to the Nikon D3x:wink:
I fear we'll have to wait and see. If Oly stays true to its four-thirds standard sensor-size, they will not make a jump in image quality whereas with a rumoured FF-sensor in the D3 they might be able to pull ahead in IQ.
After all those features in todays cameras, what can one realistically wish from a new body?

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:01 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
If Oly stays true to its four-thirds standard sensor-size, they will not make a jump in image quality

OHhhhh... dem Fighting Words :twisted:

But thats OK... not everyone see's outside their 3:2 world of comfortmaity.

The N.D3 will be Nice i'm sure, complete with the High Price, Big Weight & Small Lens Mount. I wish Olympus could make a Flash system to rival the Nikon D-Lighting (sigh) :wink:

i better go polish my Nikon FA incase it feels hurt 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:13 pm 

I think rumour has it that almost every company is coming out this autumn with something "extraordinary": Oly, Sony, Nikon,...
The fuss about this reminds me of the fabled "Duke Nukem Forever".
I'll say: They'll come when they are done :twisted:

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:08 am 
I have not read the "leaked" pdf but I read a lot of comments on it... Do they actually compare the new Oly pro body with the "new" Nikon D300 and Canon 40D in that pdf???? 8) That's REALLY funny....

Darrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:29 am 
Darrin wrote:
I have not read the "leaked" pdf but I read a lot of comments on it... Do they actually compare the new Oly pro body with the "new" Nikon D300 and Canon 40D in that pdf???? 8) That's REALLY funny....

Darrin

Of course they do :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:05 pm 
Sony/Nikon/Canon launch is definitely going to be exciting but let's not forget that those are build on 35mm whereas Oly/Leica/Panasonic has the 4/3 alas non-comparable.

Can someone breifly explain what to expect from the new Oly?

Post subject: E-P1 specs...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:51 pm 
Rune Laugesen wrote:
Can someone breifly explain what to expect from the new Oly?

*** begin Cut'n'Paste :wink:

Here are the preliminary features of the new E-pro camera, dubbed the "E-P1" by sources. This information doesn't provide a complete picture of the E-P1 but it does appear to be accurate. Make of it what you will...

•. More pixels and less noise
. . 10 megapixels.
. . "High speed" Live MOS sensor.

•. Fastest AF and more AF points
. . Quicker and more accurate.
. . "World's quickest" with SWD lenses.
. . 11 AF points - all are cross type sensors.
. . Better low-light AF performance (-2 EV at ISO 100).
. . Better continuous AF.

•. More accurate AE
. . no details provided

•. Improved optical viewfinder
. . Larger image with 100% coverage and 1.15x magnification.
. . Diopter adjustable from -3.0 to +1.0 m^-1 (same as E-1).
. . Optional DE-1 eyepiece shifts the diopter +3 m^-1.
. . Optional DE-2 eyepiece shifts the diopter -3 m^-1.
. . Extended diopter range with DE-1 and DE-2 is -6.0 to +4.0 m^-1.

•. Larger LCD monitor
. . Hypercrystal LCD.
. . Swivel mount allows monitor to be viewed from multiple angles.

•. Faster burst speed
. . 5 fps burst speed.

•. Higher shutter speed and flash sync speed
. . 1/8000 second maximum shutter speed.
. . 1/250 second flash sync speed.

•. Built-in flash
. . no details provided

•. Wireless flash control capability
. . Infrared control via 3 groups.
. . Two new flashes (FL-36R and FL-50R) can be wirelessly controlled.
. . Optional FLBA-1 bounce adapter.
. . Optional FLRA-1 reflector.
. . Optional FLST-1 stand.

•. Live View capability with swivel monitor
. . Preview SAT (saturation?), white balance and exposure compensation.
. . "Shadow adjustment" technology.

•. In-body image stabilization
. . "World's most effective" anti-shake system - adds up to 5 EV steps.
. . Supersonic.

•. Vertical grip and battery
. . Has two buttons and two system dials.
. . Sealed from dust and moisture like the camera body.
. . Uses two BLM-1 batteries.
. . Can also use AA batteries with AABH-1 battery holder.
. . Optional LBH-1 battery.
. . Optional GS-3 grip strap.

•. Features carried over from the original E-1
. . Weathersealed body.
. . SSWF dust reduction system.

One of the big questions that many of us have is: "When can I buy an E-P1?" The answer appears to be November 2007.

Post subject: E-1 Successor
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:54 pm 

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/news/2 ... 5edeve.cfm

This above link provides a description of the coming E-1 successor(2007?).
Perhaps it will be worth waiting before ordering the E-510 with the kit lens and go for the 12-60 f2.8-4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:24 am 
Oh my lord. Well, I just spent the last few hours pouring over the net and forums to catch myself up on the E-P1 leak news. A bit late on that one. Well, this has REALLY thrown a wrench in my DSLR search for the last four weeks. If the "pdf" stats are correct, that is everything I have been looking for in every camera I have been comparing. I was JUST about ready to make a compromise... got a bit shaken from the Nikon D200 once it was starting to be pulled from stores (my local included)... regardless, even a new model won't have what I want... unless Nikon TOTALLY changes it's philosophy about anti-shake in the camera and not the lens. I've been looking at the Pentax K10D the most recently... and was very ready to make that decision until I heard about this new Olympus beauty. Olympus was my very first camera, back in the 70's... and if I have brand loyalty anywhere it's to Oly. I feel I should apologize for being tempted to stray... but, until the E-1, I really wasn't even looking. And, in 2003 I was not looking at DSLR. the 510 peaked my interest for about a week... then holding one changed my mind. Oh please! please! please! Let the E-P1 be the one! What a sigh of relief will be in store for so many of us.

Post subject: It Just isnt soup yet!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:19 am 

Gimmicks, Gimmicks, Gimmicks!
Why can’t these camera manufactures add the value where it really counts; in the sensor and in the lens system. I for one would forgo image stabilization (I have a tripod for that), 6 fps bursts (I don’t make movies), ALL shooting modes (I know when I am at the beach), and maybe even autofocus if there were a camera out there that applied their top tier technology to the remainder of the system. It would also be great to have a full frame sensor, not the 36 x 24, but perhaps a 27mm x 33mm after all the same full frame lens would cover a sensor that size and I could get all the pixels on the print not the 20% crop required to print the APS-C or full frame 35mm format. Kudos to Olympus for their commitment to 4:3 but wouldn’t it be great to have a bit larger 4:3 sensor? CMOS of course with 16 bits of A/D? with10+ stops of dynamic range? In a rangefinder short back focus format that eliminates the SLR wide angle problems? A 24mm equiv lens that doesn’t vignette at f1.2? I really did, well just almost, order an E510 2 lens kit for just under $900 but somehow it just isn’t soup yet.

Post subject: E-3 is COMING!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:35 am 
Well, here it is. Olympus unveiled in Korea:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-came ... 294463.php

Not that ANYONE here would be as dense as those on "other" forums... the Lens is a "show"to-type to allow viewers to see the interior functions of the lens.

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:36 pm 
The orginal Photo source was The SLR Club in Korea. Apparently Olympus does VERY well there.
http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=o ... c&no=95367

meThinks to guess at September 10th to 'officaly' announce the E3...
anyone else want to Guess & post a date? :wink: