Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:12 am 
Hi, thanks for this Great site. I especially love the videos and clear practical reviews of you cameras and lens'.

There is one thing I need to clarify please. I am tossing up between the D80 and E-510.

The E-510 has some features that interest me, esp anti dust and in camera IS.

However these features would only be of interest if there was no impact on image quality and sharpness in jpeg mode (tweaked as suggested on the review).

The d80 is rated 20/20 for image quality and the e-510 only 18/20. I couldln't work out where the difference in image qaulity lay from the review, esp as the e510 kit lens appears better the the D80-kit lens.

Can you clarify this for me? If the E510 image quality is as good as the D80 then I would probably go the e-510 as both cameras feel good to hold and use.

Thanks, Hope this hasn't already been asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Hello itk and an extra special welcome to the Cameralabs forums as our 500th member!

As for the scores, unless specifically stated, these are always relative to equivalent products, released up to that point.

So the Nikon D80 scored 20 compared to other budget DSLRs released up to its review in September 2006. The E-510's score is compared to 2007 models.

As for directly comparing their image quality, just have a look at the results pages for each product review and you'll see they're pretty close.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:38 am 
Thanks for the welcome, and reply.

I looked at the pictures and they are pretty close.
Just out of interest which current cam got the 20/20 in this class?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:43 am 
Site Admin

I haven't rated any camera with 20 out of 20 for image quality this year.

Like most publications, these scores should only be used as a quick guide. Please do read the full verdicts and compare the results pages to see the bigger picture and understand their relative pros and cons!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:34 am 

Well itk, Gordon is his usually impartial self :)
If you'd ask me, I'd say: for the last bit of image quality buy D80/D40x. They also offer the best quality super-zoom around: the famous Nikon 18-200mm VR.
If you are more into features, buy the E510.

As a remark: The Oly-sensor is 17.3x13mm whereas the Nikon sensor is almost double that: 23.6x15.8mm. So it captures double the light and thus has the potential to be one stop more sensitive or less noisy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:08 am 
I must say I am leaning towards the d80.

Is there an 18-200 equivalent quality lens for the olympus? I need sharp, vivid photos pref straight out of the camera.
Since the olympus has built in VR, I assume there must be one at a better prcie than the Nikon one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:00 am 
Site Admin

The full Olympus lens range is here:

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/image ... oadmap.pdf

Remember the smaller sensor in the Olympus cameras means the equivalent focal length is multiplied by 2. So to match the equivalent 28-300mm coverage of the Nikkor 18-200mm, you'd be looking for a 14-150mm on the Four Thirds Fit.

The closest by Olympus is 18-180mm, giving an equivalent of 36-360mm.

Panasonic and Leica are actually working on a 14-150mm with built in stabilisation, but we don't ahve any prices or expected release date yet...

Rumour has it Panasonic may make an announcement mid July though concerning new DSLRs...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:34 am 

If you compare Oly vs. Nikon don't forget the excellent D40x. Together with the Nikon 18-200mm VR it can be had for as much as 1200EUR.
The Oly E510 + 18-180mm is around 1100EUR. So not much of a price difference here. And the D40x produces very vivid pics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:09 pm 
Actually Popphoto has tested both. If you compare the results I guess Olympus has got better results:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/27 ... -af-s.html
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/26 ... 63-af.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:36 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:

The closest by Olympus is 18-180mm, giving an equivalent of 36-360mm.

Panasonic and Leica are actually working on a 14-150mm with built in stabilisation, but we don't ahve any prices or expected release date yet...

Gordon

Better than that (and I have the 18-180, it's the only lens I keep on the camera), Olympus is coming out with a new zoomer that goes from 70 to 300mm (2xfl: 140-600mm) around the end of October; here's a review. It's so lightweight that there's no need for a tripod mount. I am drooling, can't wait to get my hands on one!

Leonard