Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:15 pm 
I understand that older manual OM lenses can be fitted to Olympus digital camneras with an adapter. Has anyone tried this yet? Any success?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:18 pm 
Hi,

I've been using a few old (manually focused) Nikon lenses on my E-400. I ordered an adapter on e-bay, manufactured by one "cirrusgao". Works as advertised (it is, after all, a metal ring of a defined thickness with two different couplings).

What I like:
* My Nicro-Nikkor 105/2.8 gives me a small tele (210mm equivalent) that's quite usable and very compact. Its size and weight are about equal to the Olympus 14-54mm zoom I'm using otherwise. The images are good: more subdued colors compared to the Olympus lenses, but very good detail, especially when closing down to f5.6 or further
* Exposure measurement works OK both in evaluative and center-weighed mode. I just have to switch to "A" mode and am fine

What I don't really like:
* Exact focusing is difficult due to the small viewfinder picture. I usually take several shots and re-focus in between to get a good one.

In total, the adapter and the old lens allow me to take pictures I couldn't take otherwise. Focusing is a pain, but the results are worth it. Still, if there was an equivalent Olympus lens for digital, I'd buy it.

The new E-410 and E-510 with live-view could make focusing easier. Has anybody tried yet?

Cheers

Kaspar

Last edited by kaspar on Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:50 pm 
Thanks, Kaspar

I will check out that ebay adaptor. Olympus wants $100 for one, which I think is rather steep. Thanks also for helpful info on how to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Kaspar, welcome to the fourms - and thanks for a great post!

I've not been able to try or report on this yet, so it's great to hear from people like yourself explaining how well this sort of thing works in practice.

Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:14 pm 
Hi,

I'd like to add a bit of information to make the above clear:

Manual focusing would not be a problem if the camera autofocus sensor gave some confirmation when I reach exact focus. After all, that's how I used this lens and some other manual Nikkor lenses before (on a Nikon F4).

Unfortunately, that does not work. The Olympus camera bodies apparently do not activate the AF sensor(s) unless a lens is recognised.

Much more information about this in an article by Andrzej Wrotniak at http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html (great read & site, BTW).

Cheers

Kaspar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm 
Thanks, that makes sense.

I shot some test pics in bright sunlight which turned out well, but I guess I'll be carrying a tripod more if the light is marginal.

Roy