Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:52 pm 
Hi Gordon. Thanks for a very thorough, informative, and useful review. Do you think that Olympus might eventually offer a software update to the current noise reduction and sharpening anomalies of the current E510? Is that something that could be done?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Russel!

Yep, Olympus sure could - and sure should - implement this.

We were one of the first reviews to point out the benefits of adjusting the noise filter on the E-410 and I've since noticed many other sites reporting similar findings - so Olympus should hopefully take notice!

They did an update for the E-400 which switched its default Picture Mode, so they could certainly do one for noise settings. I reckon the Low filter would make a great default, although if I had the E-510 myself, I'd use it with the NF off and the sharpening turned down a bit. It's a great camera under default settings, but can be so much better with these minor tweaks...

Then again it's not that hard to make these changes yourself and the reviews are publicising the fact to the kind of people who'd be up for that...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:31 pm 

gordon, in your blurb about the e510, you're calling the rival canon 40D and not 400D, very Freudian... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:59 am 
We were one of the first reviews to point out the benefits of adjusting the noise filter on the E-410 and I've since noticed many other sites reporting similar findings - so Olympus should hopefully take notice!

Well done, Gordon. Do you think a firm-ware update could correct the ISO inaccuracies as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi Shiva - nah, that was a genuine mistake. Or was it...?!

Russel, I think the '1600' ISO performing more like 1250 is a limitation of the sensor, or perhaps Olympus slightly turned down the amplifier because the results didn't look as nice one third of a stop higher...

I wouldn't expect this to be addressed in a firmware update, but Oly could certainly change the default noise settings if they wanted.

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 pm 
With my Olympus SP-510 UZ, One night I took pictures of a house on fire.

On Auto mode.

ISO was very strange: Adjusting to the light. The normal range is ISO 50-1600, but the camera would shoot at weird ISO.

I have pictures that the camera took at ISO 385,787,1233,1364,686...... really weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

Those odd ISO ratings might just be the way the camera writes information to its EXIF file. I wouldn't worry about it! Unless its 400 ISO mode really is acting more like 385 ISO in practice!

Gordon