Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:28 pm 

grahamnp wrote:
Well if you look at the noise comparison, Gordon concludes that the D300 has the slight edge and the D300's and A700's results are very similar(same sensor).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the E-3 is a poor camera. I just don't think that IQ is its strong point when compared to other similar priced cameras.

I don't agree. In Gordon's review the JPEG files had better image quality than the D300 except for noise at high ISO's. Also, when comparing two quality lenses the corner to corner sharpness of the E-3 was better than the D300, in spite of the Olympus lens being a 24mm to 120mm equivalent and the Nikon being 25mm to 83mm equivalent.. This is not simply a function of the lenses used, but also an inherent characteristic of the 4/3 design.

The somewhat higher noise at high ISOs is often mitigated by being able to use a 1 f/stop lower ISO at the same equivalent field of view, depth of field (approximately the same DOF for the E-3 at 1/f/stop wider) and shutter speed. I personally prefer the overall image quality of the E-3, but setting aside my personal preferences, I think the better corner to corner sharpness of the 4/3 is worth at least as much as the slightly better noise performance of the D300 at higher ISOs . I think a fair rating would find image quality equal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:25 pm 

Gordon,

Once again the E-3 review is excellent. I was wondering however, why under Verdict the "Bad points" say "Very tough rival in the Nikon D300", but the "Bad points" for the Nikon D300 do not list the E-3 as a very tough rival, which from the review and your own words it is. I know I switched from my Nikon D80 system to the E-3 rather than upgrade ot the D300. I notice also that the competition ia listed under Bad points for the Canon 40D and the Sony A700, so the D300 is the only one "exempt". Out of fairness, I think the Nikon D300 review should be modified to include under Bad points the E-3 and other cameras or the competition should be removed from all the reviews as a Bad point, as there is always competition and it is not a feature of the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your comments everyone...

Frank, I didn't mention the E-3 in the D300's bad points becuase I hadn't tested it at the time. And the scores / good / bad points for each review are fixed 'at the time of writing', so I won't be changing them retrospectivey. To do that would involve updating every single relevant review every time I publish a new one.

As for the sticky controls, I did know about that and will edit the design page to include a comment, but my feeling still remains that if you can't comfortably press a button and turn a dial at the same time, then ergonomically it's not as good as it could be. Again though as I said, it's subjective, but for me personally the control ergonomics are noticeably better on the Canon and Nikon semi-pros.

As for IQ, there are better choices at 800 ISO and above, but the point I really wanted to get across was having access to very high quality optics could make the E-3's images some of the best around at lower sensitivities.

It's easy for us reviewers to make noise levels a priority in final verdicts, but it may not actually affect that many of us. If you tend to shoot at lower sensitivities, you should be looking at other factors, and for me, I was very impressed by the quality of that 12-60mm compared to rival combinations.

Ultimately you must think about what conditions you shoot under and choose the camera which performs best under those conditions. If you do shoot at high ISOs, then go for a camera which performs well there, but if you don't, then don't get too hung up on it!

If the E-3's strengths play to your style of photography, then it's a hard camera to beat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:13 pm 

Thanks Gordon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 pm 
Thanks Gordon, I've been looking forward to the E-3 review. Not sure why though - there's no way I could ever afford it (or justify the cost)!