Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:56 pm 
My Sandisk Extreme III 2gig CF card can fit exactly 118 RAW pics. The reason I'm asking is that I saw from another forum that their Canon XTi DSLR can fit around 180 RAW shots with the same exact card. I know each manufacturer is proprietary of their own RAW file, but that's almost a 70 shot difference. I'm still learning the ins and outs, but I thought given similar cameras, RAW is RAW, and not like JPEG compression qualities which are understandable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:04 pm 
Hmmm - I'm not sure really, since both cameras are 10Mp models, you'd expect them to be closer. Is it definitely the XTi and not the XT (since the later has less Mp so the RAW files would be smaller).

Other than that, I guess it's down to the variations from picture to picture and perhaps the two manufacturers have different methods of storing RAW files resulting in more/less data being retained?????

Hopefully someone else will give you a more convincing answer!!! :P Any XTi owners floating around???

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:07 pm 
I think Mark is right, it's probably down to the kind of compression used. I know RAW images are supposed to be "pure" and all but Nikon compresses its NEF files so I guess the other manufacturers do as well.

It could also be that you are shooting a more complex picture? A picture of a plain black surface will take up less space than one of a landscape if compression is used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:08 pm 
Yeah, sorry for the late response, but yeah he definately said XTi, whether it really is I'm not sure. The actual subject complexity should not have something to do with it. Once I erase all data on the card, it says 118.

I just bought the Olympus 1 gig xD card, and it says 60 shots on RAW. Mainly gonna use this for backup and Panoramic functions

So how many RAW shots are people getting with the 2 gig CF card??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:11 pm 
SuperVF1 wrote:
Once I erase all data on the card, it says 118.

I'm not sure what you mean? When you erase all of the data from the card where does it say 118? Is it the camera or the computer. Have you had a chance to fill up the card with RAW files? Is it always exactly 118?

Sorry for all the questions!! :P

Oh, and by the way, the subject matter will have an impact on the size of the file. They're not all going to be the same size.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:51 pm 
Markh wrote:
SuperVF1 wrote:
Once I erase all data on the card, it says 118.

I'm not sure what you mean? When you erase all of the data from the card where does it say 118? Is it the camera or the computer. Have you had a chance to fill up the card with RAW files? Is it always exactly 118?

Sorry for all the questions!! :P

Oh, and by the way, the subject matter will have an impact on the size of the file. They're not all going to be the same size.

Mark

The pic counter on the camera LCD that tells you how many shots you have left, and yes it's always 118. Yeah, I know that more complex pics are bigger in MB, black and white are smaller while colored are bigger. To tell you the truth, I haven't filled the CF card yet, though I did came close. The funny thing is that, I must have taken 50 out of 118 shots, had about 60 shots left, and when I uploaded them onto the computer, it says 99 files......weird!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:02 pm 
I suggest filling up the card with RAW files and then you'll know exactly how many you can take. The camera's prediction is not always right.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:36 pm 

Well my raw files are about 9,5 MB, so I should be gatting 200+ I havent tested this yet though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:37 pm 

By the way, you're not shooting in raw+jpeg are you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:07 am 
Paukl wrote:

yea hes definitely shooting in raw+jpeg, at least i think so because he said he only shot 50 pictures and the computer said there were 99 files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 am 
Atomic wrote:
Paukl wrote:

yea hes definitely shooting in raw+jpeg, at least i think so because he said he only shot 50 pictures and the computer said there were 99 files.

Sorry for the late reply, but no, I'm NOT shooting RAW+JPG. If I do, it bumps the counter down to around 80 shots.

I shoot purely RAW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:18 am 
well, do a test seeing as the numbers are not adding up

just shoot in raw on continuous until you fill up the card, and see how many pictures you get. shouldnt take more than a few minutes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 am 

but it takes days off the lifespan of the camera's shutter curtain.

I'd preffer to stay on the safe side and assume the counter is overestimating

Leo

4) Leica M [50mm Summicron Pre-aspherical - Silver]

http://www.poetproductions.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:52 pm 
Leo wrote:
but it takes days off the lifespan of the camera's shutter curtain.

I'd preffer to stay on the safe side and assume the counter is overestimating

Leo

Hmmm. Not a big issue in my opinion.

Mark