Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:17 pm 
Hello,
I'm sure I've asked question like every newbie here asked. What DSLR package or starter kit should a beginner get? I went back and forth with Canon and Nikon b/c that is what most people own. Well, I'm now back to Olympus. I've always own Olympus p&s cameras. I have 3 of them now. And they are just not cutting it for me anymore. I want more from my pictures therefore I'm venturing out to DSLR.

I will only be taking family pictures. While I know it's what feel comfortable in my hand, I still want to know if this is a good combo for a mom who's crazy about taking her boy's pictures? I like to be able to take them in door with low light.

Thank you for reading,

Diane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 pm 
I had the same problem when i was first looking to buy my first dslr.

About the low light shooting, I found when i first started shooting low light with my new dslr, i was really and i mean really disappointed with the results, the on-board flash was too harsh, and even if i bumped up the iso it was still disappointing, especially with fast moving stuff like kids.

You have to think that any kit lens you get with your fist dslr, whether it is canon, Nikon or Olympus your largest aperture is going to be around f3.5 so you will have to invest in a faster lens to get better low light results. Yes some deal with noise better than others but i think the difference is negligible... what you really need to be thinking is getting an external flash that recycles fast, i would avoid the fl-36 as i get so frustrated with the recycle speed, the metz alternative is apparently better or spend a bit more get the old fl-50 (which are much cheaper now), Also they have AF assistance to help you focus faster.

If you do like the feel of Olympus cameras you have to then see if you want image stabilisation (e-510) or want smaller size (e-420, get that instead of the e-410) because apart from that they are essentially the same.

What sold me was the price and the size, i ended up getting an e-400 and twin kit lens from Currys for about £400 with 4 years accidental insurance, and i still love it.

If you were to go for Olympus absolutely with no question get the double kit lens it is a great start as you have a range from 14-150mm (28-300mm eqiv). Then i would get a flash for those low light situations.

The only one down side i see with Olympus is that it is harder to get second hand lens, either because the glass is so good and no one wants to sell or less people own olys then canon and Nikon users.

Sorry for the essay, i’m hope i have answered your questions...
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:49 am 

I would second most of Angelo’s comments on the Olympus.

There may be an update to the E510 on the way with the improvements that are already seen in the E420. Either the Oly kits are a great value. When I purchased the E510 I had to ask myself if the results from a D80 or D40x with a stabilized lens or Canon 400d would actually produce results that were measurably better than the Olympus. There are many criticisms on line about noise, less dynamic range and a few other complaints, but in practice these issues have not been significant. I would not expect anyone would be able to spot any significant difference in a 16x20 print from one brand to another. The E420 and very likely the successor to the E510 have improved the sensor and should alleviate many of the related issues of noise and dynamic range. With the in body stabilization it is also possible to use a vintage Olympus lens such as the Zuiko 1.4 50mm. That would give you a field of view equivalent to a 100mm portrait lens on the 4:3 system with a stabilized 1.4 aperture for around $50. With Canon or Nikon there are normal fast lenses out there but you would sacrifice the stabilization. The downside is that the Olympus vintage lenses will not autofocus with the E series Oly bodies.

So my take is get the either the E420, E510, or E510 successor 2 lens kit, save the cost of the Sigma lens and apply it to a good flash and/or a vintage normal Oly lens for portraits .. who knows perhaps your interest in photography may grow far beyond family snap shots!