Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: E-410 review
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:18 pm 
Hi there,
Any idea when there'll be a camera labs review of the new Olympus E-410? I'm really eager to buy one but want to read a decent review before I purchase!

Great site by the way.

Alan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Alan - and welcome to the forums!

I'll be testing the E-410 as soon as I get hold of one, which hopefully shouldn't be long... watch this space!

Gordon

Post subject: E410 review
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:07 pm 
Fair enough!
I'll keep an eye on the page so, I'm also interested in whether the e-510 is worth the extra 100 or so euro. All will be answered in due course.

Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:01 pm 
I'm looking forward to this one too - and a review of the E-510. Might be tempted to part ex my E-400, although I'm very happy with it so there would need to be something special about them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:38 pm 
Actually the e-400 is currently very tempting at €650 with one kit lens and €800 for the dual kit lens, and it's hard to keep waiting for the new cameras! Particularly as I know they'll be around €1000 or more on release.

How good has your e-400 been so far?

Whatever I buy it'll be my first SLR, digital or otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:53 pm 
It's my first SLR as well. Photos can be seen on my Flickr page in the link. I got the 2 lens kit for £599 with bag and a memory card. Been very pleased with it, I love the size of it particularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to say we've just posted our full review of the Olympus E-410 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE410/

and as always, there's a video tour here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... view.shtml

Hope you enjoy it!

I really liked the E-410 and observed none of the metering / underexposure issues which others are reporting. Then again mine came from a different source.

The lack of stabilisation options for it right now though are a major downside...

Cheers!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:47 am 
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for the review of the E-410! Both video and written reviews were excellent and very in-depth. You must be one of the first, if not the first to give a full review on the camera!

As for me, still in the deciding state of what to buy, the camera is a big "no-no". No image stabilisation within the camera and only one expensive, hard-to-get lens with IS in the lens....Olympus, what were you thinking!!

Still, I'm very excited waiting for your review of the E-510, with IS built in, the type of handgrip I prefer, bigger battery=longer battery life..I assume! The review will be a major deciding factor for me and I'm not bothered about taking pictures underwater so that won't have any effect on my decision making.

I really like the menu system and the way, once you get to know your way around it, you can change settings so quickly. That's important to me.

Any rough estimate on when we can expect the E-510 review?

Anxiously waiting,
Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:13 pm 
Thanks for excellent review! Just one thing..would it be possible to compare the dynamic range of E400 and E410? Some early DPReview tests shows relative low DR of E410 (against the rivals D40x Eos 400D). And because E400 uses different sensor and the current price of E400 DZK is very attractive, I believe the comparison of DR of E400 and E410 would attract many buyers. Thank you in advance!

Post subject: Positive review
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:51 pm 
Good to see a full review of the E-410! And for it to be so positive, in the main.

How important is stabilisation? As the E-510 is soon coming out would it be the better camera to get? Especially as I like to take all my photos hand held and have no desire to ever carry a tripod! Plus it (stabilisation) gets mentioned quite often in the text of the review...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

How important is stabilisation? Only you can answer that!

Some people find it invaluable. Others don't think it's that important.

The big problem I have with the E-410 is there's only one stabilised option for it right now, and it's not really a practical option. So if you value stabilisation, it's not the camera for you - today anyway.

Gordon

PS - hi odklizec, welcome to the forums! I'm afraid I don't have the E-400 anymore, so can't perform a dynamic range comparison directly between it and the E-410. I would still say the E-400 represents excellent value at the moment though if you're not interested in Live View... (or - ahem - stabilised lenses!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:55 am 
Thank you for answer Gordon. I already own E400 and I'm very satisfied with it. I really don't care about missing LiveView. The only "problem" I have is all these small missing options, which are now standard in E410, like the compressed RAW, ability to turn the noise reduction completely OFF, MLU switch or for example switch for AF assist lamp when flash is raised up. It's a shame Olympus did not added these features in E400 too, but that's the life ;)

But I'm really surprised they decided to remove (from final E410) the ability to step the ISO by small 1/3 steps. It's soooo useful. Can't believe they removed such useful option. Why the camera manufacturers do such steps? I mean adding some excellent features and then removing another also useful features?

Is the incrementing ISO by 1/3 steps in E410 so useless or is it not suitable for a concept of "entry level" camera? BTW, this "entry level DSLR" stamp is in my humble opinion another Olympus mistake. There are so many pro photographers who want a fully featured but small sized complement or "always carry" camera. And this is exactly what E4xx concept is, except the crippled/missing features, which are standard for example in E510. There is only EV bracketing left in E410..but E510 have also Focus, WB or Flash bracketing! And many other small but useful features are missing in E4xx, which are ages in older "E" cameras.

This is really frustrating. I personally don't need or want bulky camera. The smaller body, the better for me. I would gladly pay the E510 price for E410 but with E510 FW. Of course, stabilized E4xx would be great, but I can live without it if it's a question of larger body. Small body is a major advantage for me. And unfortunately, the Olympus (as well as other manufacturers) decided to equal the "small body" and "entry level" market, which is from my point of view a complete mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:11 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, I thought it was odd to only have ISO in 1EV steps. I wonder if it's a restriction of the sensor, in which case the E-510 will be the same...

And it's funny not to find all the bracketing options of the E-500 on either the E-400 or E-410, but again maybe they'll be there on the E-510... we'll have to wait and see!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:42 pm 
I don't think it's a sensor restriction. There were several reports and menu screen shots from the preproduction version of E410, indicating that the E410 have had the same range of ISO steps as E400. So it seems, it's just an "eleventh hour" marketing decision to strip the ISO menu down.

As for the bracketing options, yes, they are all in E510 menu. I think they are not in E400/410, because Olympus wanted to make the difference between an entry level E4xx and more prosumer oriented E510 even more pronounced. Bad idea in my humble opinion ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've updated our E-410 review with tests using the Leica 14-50mm lens. This includes a new video demonstrating anti-shake on the E-410!

See: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Olymp ... hake.shtml

Cheers!

Gordon